I got on a Daniel Johnston kick last night because I was playing Wilco and their cover of the titular song came on. I've mentioned him before. He is a very good songwriter with occasional extreme mental problems. His work is incredibly inconsistent for that reason. He's a bit like the Mountain Goats, a solitary singer/songwriter who records mostly lo-fi stuff.
Because of the inconsistency of his work, I recommend looking at youtube video playlists to give him a whirl and see if you like him. People tend to make videos and video playlists only of the good songs.
A song of his you might know from covers of his work is "Speeding Motorcycle", covered by Yo La Tengo.
We survived another trip to Buffalo!
You're hot stuff with a hatpin
It's lonely out in space
Just a man and his will to survive
Men in Black 3 [DVD] 
Kolchak - The Night Stalker
Voodoo Histories: The Role of the Conspiracy Theory in Shaping Modern History
Bad Samaritans: The Myth of Free Trade and the Secret History of Capitalism
Thursday December 22nd
- To those that give (8 comments)
Thursday November 10th
- In Memoriam (9 comments)
Tuesday August 23rd
- Eight days (30 comments)
Saturday August 13th
- Thoughts on the riots (25 comments)
Monday August 1st
- On the way between there and here. (6 comments)
Wednesday July 6th
- So where was I? (12 comments)
Friday July 1st
- Automatic Asshole Correction (15 comments)
Sunday May 22nd
- We owe it to each other to tell stories. (10 comments)
Monday May 9th
- There was, once. (21 comments)
Wednesday April 27th
- Another good moment (10 comments)