Print Story I put on my vendor polo of authority
Working life
By georgeha (Thu Aug 18, 2022 at 01:17:26 PM EST) the boys, surgery, RIT, Lovecraft (all tags)
which can also act as a polo of invisibility.

Plus, virtual Friday, a five year redo, new laptop, Arkham Horror and less.

Poll: Who is the Mar A Lago mole?

I have a few vendor/project polo shirts that I wear regularly. Most are from the corporation that pays my check, a few from the corporation I work at. I always took one when offered, despite thinking I would rarely wear them. But with my new job, where on any given day I may end up on a dirty lab floor, a very filthy warehouse floor, or get snagged on a crappy piece of pallet wood, they make sense. I'd rather ruin a vendor polo shirt than a shirt I care about.

I notice quite a few other people wear them on the corporate campus, it's a look. I already have a high-viz vest and a clipboard, I just need a hard hat and I could probably go just about anywhere I want.

OTOH, sometimes I feel invisible wearing one, as I'm obviously just a contractor and not worth acknowledging.

Today is a virtual Friday for me, tomorrow we move twenty_one_year_old and her bf into their apartment for their senior year. It will be different this year, I had surgery last Friday, the same surgery I had five years ago, I'm doing better this time, possibly because only one ball had things scraped off it.

Anyhow, I shouldn't lift as much this time, so I bought a folding Milwaukee hand truck and some ramp parts to make things easier for everyone.

To make it even easier, the bf has a car now, he drove it up from the Bahamas, err, he and twenty_one_year_old drove it up from Mississippi. It's an Acura MDX that his grandparents gave him. We'll have lots of cars to move stuff.

Mrs. Ha may not be able to do much either. Her hips are bothering her, probably from her new job as a patient transporter.

I have a new laptop, from the corporation I work at, not the corporation that signs my paychecks. The old one has become increasingly useless, they recently disabled sftp, ssh and USB. Does anyone want to guess how I get large files onto my laptop to upgrade the printers I support? Does anyone want to guess how I access the developers back channel for the printers I support? Does anyone want to guess what one of the supported upgrade paths use?

Did I mention custom laptop routing, so that there's no way to access the internal sites I need and support?

I also found out that my productivity is measured by keyboard activity, and according to the corporation that signs my paycheck, a day spent browsing reddit is more productive than a day breaking down pallets and moving printers. I doubt that monitoring sw will be put on the new laptop.

Judging software people's productivity by keyboard activity was barely a chuckle in Dilbert twenty years ago.

So, I'm deleting files, uploading files to OneDrive, downloading files to the new laptop and maybe next week I can deal with the Outlook transition.

Mrs. Ha's new job is two four hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday, it's not ideal but she can transfer after six months. Last weekend I took the opportunity to break out Arkham Horror, 3rd edition. It's a Fantasy Flight game, so it's process heavy with many, many components. It is a co-operative game, and can be easily solo'ed. After a few hours I was into round two of the game.

< An army of pompous phrases moving over the landscape in search of an idea | Out of the Blue >
I put on my vendor polo of authority | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden)
I voted Meadows and Trump by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Aug 18, 2022 at 07:11:50 PM EST
it's a a wild gamble but he'll have a lawyer declare he's mentally unfit, just look he turned himself in, and as such can't be convicted, but can still serve as POTUS.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Ivanka by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #2 Thu Aug 18, 2022 at 07:58:48 PM EST
Daddy gets thrown in the slammer.   A year later, the tell all book describing the deranged, mentally abusive father she struggled to contain, followed eventually by the political rebranding and a run for office.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Measuring productivity by keyboard activity by xth again (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Aug 19, 2022 at 12:36:37 PM EST
Somebody good with hardware should be able to connect a hamster's cage to the laptop and then you don't even need reddit

Keyboard productivity by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Aug 19, 2022 at 07:23:38 PM EST
Give me a day with Visual Studio, and from then on I'm typing a constant 180 WPM from 9am to 5pm
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Blimey by xth again (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Aug 20, 2022 at 09:34:05 AM EST
I take it you write a lot of documentation

Nope by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #7 Sat Aug 20, 2022 at 04:26:44 PM EST
I just have an idea to write keyboard drivers
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Oh of course /facepalm [nt] by xth again (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Aug 20, 2022 at 04:35:22 PM EST

Now I wonder just how crippled the IDEs by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Aug 22, 2022 at 11:25:08 AM EST
are on the PCs that H company supplies to their developers.

You want some variation by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat Aug 20, 2022 at 04:53:53 PM EST
Or some HR troll might get suspicious.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Wipo by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Aug 20, 2022 at 04:12:56 PM EST
How is Melania not suspect #1?

She hates him and has billions of reasons to see him out the door without a divorce

my thoughts too by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #11 Sat Aug 20, 2022 at 05:52:50 PM EST
Has to be some small clause in the pre-nup that gets her free of him sooner than later.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
I should have added her by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Aug 22, 2022 at 11:24:18 AM EST
I don't know why I didn't.

So are watching by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Aug 20, 2022 at 04:55:00 PM EST
o’er the ramp parts?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

hopefully the junk is better by barooo (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Sep 13, 2022 at 03:23:15 PM EST
I got snipped back in May.  It was unpleasant, and I didn't really feel particularly good for about a week, probably closer to 10 days before I could entertain the thought of moving without carefully bracing etc.  So that all sounds quite unpleasant, but beats the alternative.

Also I see this is an old post.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
I put on my vendor polo of authority | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden)