Print Story Now we are Obamacare age
Travel
By georgeha (Wed Jul 20, 2022 at 11:21:45 AM EST) camping, driving rez, metal (all tags)
Plus a new road trip tip, minimalist camping, a permit, a new job, RAT versus Ratt and less.

A road trip tip I've never seen before. If a restaurant shares a building with a dispensary, odds are it will take a long time to get your food, you might get the wrong food a few times, but it will be tasty.

Our minimalist camping trip was a success. Our dinner plan was pulled pork, enough for two nights. I only brought a large dutch oven and a campfire percolator, I even heated up the pork the second night in the overturned lid. We never even set up our big canopy, we just used the small tent for sleeping and were out during the day.

Saturday we went to Lily Dale, it was nothing like the Supernatural episode. Mrs. Ha had gone as a child, it was different. She doesn't feel a need to go back for several years. I found it cramped, expensive and confusing to drive in, but the front gardens were spectacular.

On the way home Sunday we stopped at the Seneca Cattaraugus rez, to try a different place than the one we tried on Friday. This place also had a restaurant attached, where I learned that new trip. One group of old people left in a huff, saying they had been seated for an hour and never got their food. The man trying to be the waiter was not very good, maybe he had ADHD or something. He was personable enough, his wife runs the place and took over, and we had a good brunch.

Then the other shop in the building, then gassing up at $3.87 a gallon. Woot! Eventually we would like a pop-up or a teardrop, but that's down the road a bit. We don't have room yet in our driveway for one.

The twenty_six_year_old is now off our insurance and figuring out how to get health insurance. Mrs. Ha has offered to help financially when her money starts coming in. Her manager is trying to make sure she gets enough hours to qualify for the JCC health plan, otherwise it may be ACA.

The twenty_one_year_old now has a driving permit, and she doesn't hate driving. Her sister took her around the CC parking lot one day, I took her to some quiet streets last night. She leaves for NOLA in two weeks to start a half cross country trip with he bf, I don't know if she'll be ready for the expressway by then.

Mrs. Ha has worked two days at her new job, and it's boring CBT stuff with a flakey computer. Today she gets to follow an actual transporter.

We're going to arrange that she takes the Hyundai to work and I take the minivan, since the hospital is in the city and the parking garage is a little small. The minivan is a much better highway cruiser anyhow.

The Re-Awaken America Tour (RAT) was scheduled to be at the Main Street Armory soon. People complained, bands canceled their appearances (Japanese Breakfast, Joywave) and the venue owner finally decided to cancel RAT. Hooray!

In yet another RIASC, across the street from the Main Street Armory is the Auditorium Theater, where back in the 80s I saw Ratt, Motley Crue and Twisted Sister.

In sad news, Eric Flint has died. I never met him or talked to him, though he was on an email with me.

I should donate something to his funeral GoFundMe.

< From the "be careful what you wish for" file | Turns out that I don't HAVE gangrene ... >
Now we are Obamacare age | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden)
I read that one sentence wrong by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jul 20, 2022 at 03:45:21 PM EST
I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out why Japanese Breakfast and Joywave would call their combined tour the "Re-Awaken America Tour".

Doh.

I had to go back and read the synopsis of the Supernatural episode set in Lily Dale. I recall the events leading up to that episode but I don't recall that episode of all. My dead wife's ghost is probably going to kill me in my sleep over that.

I don't understand kids waiting that late to get their licenses. My youngest waited until she was 18. My oldest, 21 and only got one then because most MD establishments categorically reject the vertical license issued to non-drivers for purchasing booze. Irene's kids are all > 18, the oldest > 21 and none have their full license yet.

But I guess that's the way the kiddos are these days.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
It's not as needed these days by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jul 21, 2022 at 09:12:53 AM EST
back in the days when I wanted to play DnD I had to arrange to meet friends at one of their houses, while dodging the satanic panic people.

She's been in a weekly DnD group since high school and still hasn't met many of the players in person, it's all discord and such.

The episode was one of the demons of the week episodes, not that memorable besides how the mediums died.

I'd love a tear-drop trailer at this point by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jul 20, 2022 at 05:30:27 PM EST
but, of all things, neither of our Subarus will take a trailer hitch. Honestly I was shocked when I realized it.

I mean, there's also the part where we don't have any place to keep one either but that's more manageable than having to buy a new car or truck.

That's odd, our 2012 Forester did by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jul 21, 2022 at 05:50:14 AM EST
And the 2007 Impreza could have, if I put it on. I would have needed to remove six big bolts first. U-Haul might be able to do it.

What Subaru? by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jul 21, 2022 at 11:52:49 AM EST
I have a 2" receiver on my 2018 Crosstrek.  It's for my bike rack, but should be able to pull something light if needed.

My Impreza only fit a class iii hitch by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jul 21, 2022 at 12:54:54 PM EST
something like a 1 1/4 inch receiver. There are adapters out there, if needed.

Initially I misunderstood the weight requirements and didn't think the Impreza could tow anything over 1000 pounds. If I understand it now, only 10% of the payload should be on the hitch, and add that to the weight of the passengers and gear, so a 2000 pound trailer is technically towable with a total passenger/cargo weight of 900 pounds.

Not a problem with the Honda, it came with a full sized receiver and can probably tow up to 10000 pounds.

Eric Flint can't be dead ... by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jul 21, 2022 at 10:25:51 AM EST

... I mean, he's so young.

Wait, what, he was 75? This is 2002, right? Damn.

Cars: I need to get FLF's old VW repaired since I have to (1) start going back to the office and (2) Thing 1 has all-day camp starting Aug. 1st (for 2 weeks ... then a couple weeks off ... then kindergarten) and someone will need to pick him up during my work hours. Getting by with only 1 car the past couple years has been nice. I have to make sure work is still putting us in the same parking garage as before ... and not the sketchy one a couple blocks away closer to the Transit Center.

We've been wanting to take some camping-ish or similar vacations in NY, but have been waiting for Thing 2 to be a bit older. New company owners are likely to gut vacation, so I may never have enough time off for a trip again, so so much for that plan.

Webster Park is easy for camping by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jul 21, 2022 at 11:03:28 AM EST
We go every Labor Day, but it's close enough and small enough so you can go on any weekend.

I started looking through hipcamp the other day, there are lots and lots of small places around.

26 and 21 by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Aug 16, 2022 at 03:21:05 PM EST

Our 26 year old is currently working part time and recently signed up for the state health insurance.

Our 21 year old is also not licensed.

---------------
Now we are Obamacare age | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden)