Print Story Getting there…
By ObviousTroll (Sat Jun 18, 2022 at 09:18:04 PM EST) (all tags)
Waking up after this surgery was, without a doubt, the worst experience I have ever had, and I do mean it.

For whatever reason, when I woke up there were no painkillers in my system and for the first two hours I was in truly amazing pain. The postop nurse was a saint, she sat with me and made me tell her stories while we waited for the medicine to kick in. I knew full well what she was doing, but I was a willing participant. I mean, how often does a guy get to talk about himself for two hours, especially when the audience is an attractive woman? I didn’t even notice when the drugs finally kicked in.

Talking about it with the surgeon it basically came down to not wanting to suppress things like breathing and what not by piling opiates on top of anesthesia and me waking up faster than expected.

It has also had the positive effect of making me damned reluctant to risk more pain. After the previous surgery I was constantly pushing my limits, skipping pain pills and trying to escape my room, then going for hikes a few weeks after they sent me home.

I don’t know if my push to “get better” back then led to the damage that brought me back but I have no intention of having to make a 3rd trip. This time I will be quite happy to lay here doing as little as possible. I bought myself a Switch to amuse myself for the next 6 weeks.

Still, I seem to be creating some cognitive dissonance in the staff. The surgeon keeps talking about me hanging out for 2-3 more days until I’m cleared by the PT people. The PT people, though, are like, “just go home already….” We’ll see, maybe Sunday. SWHTL has apparently been dragging furniture around the living room to make me a proper nest.

The craziest part? Before the surgery I had noticed something in one of the CT scans they took (because the surgeon was staring at it) but he didn’t say anything about it so I figured I just didn’t know how to read a CT scan and didn’t bring it up. After the surgery, he told me that what he had been looking at was that the vertebrae had so completely collapsed into each other that they had already started fusing themselves together. He had to separate them to get them aligned and spaced properly. No issues with the surgery itself, though.

Now I just have to sit in a recliner for 6 weeks and try not to get saddle sores.

< "A Taliban Gay Pride March (but keep it PG)" | In sickness and in health >
Getting there… | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)
Welcome back. by ana (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Jun 18, 2022 at 09:47:22 PM EST
Here's to six weeks of doing nothing.

Time is too strange now for a real plot. --clock

Surgery pain by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Jun 19, 2022 at 11:14:34 AM EST
I had a hernia repaired last fall. I woke up in insane pain. They kept giving me more painkillers and I’d pass back out and wake up in pain for another round until they finally told me they’d given me everything they could.

All I remember was the pain and my O2 levels being incredibly low and then telling me I had to breathe.

When I got my bill; there’s Narcan on it. Not sure if they OD’d me during surgery or post-op but I know why the painkillers didn’t do shit.

Oh jeez. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Jun 20, 2022 at 06:55:12 AM EST
Yeah, that would explain it… they sent me home with some f the new nasal spray for opioid overdose. Naxolone? Of course I don’t think they gave me enough oxy to actually merit it. I’ll have to dig through the paperworksee what’s up.

So, I was chatting with my sister, the ICU nurse by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Jun 24, 2022 at 07:08:23 AM EST
Still no idea if what happened to you is what happened to me, but I mentioned your theory about what happened to you to my sister and she said it sounded quite plausible to her.

No one told me about it by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Jun 25, 2022 at 05:49:01 PM EST
I just happened to see the Narcan on the bill. You’d think that’s something they should A) mention and B) compensate for with non-opioid painkillers

(Comment Deleted) by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Jun 19, 2022 at 12:24:16 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by kwsNI

Best wishes for a good recovery! [nt] by xth again (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Jun 19, 2022 at 03:08:05 PM EST

Get out the ipad by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #6 Mon Jun 20, 2022 at 03:04:21 PM EST
And look through cycling sites for the new recumbent you’re going to get.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Two hours for pain relief seems insanely long by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jun 21, 2022 at 12:49:51 PM EST
for stuff to take effect.

It certainly felt insane. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jun 21, 2022 at 11:35:57 PM EST
 Honestly, I’m surprised they didn’t give me something to make me forget it happened. As it is, I remember the nurse having frequent conversations as they tried to figure out why I was hurting. Eventually she got permission to give me Toradol which they ended up using on me a couple of times during my stay.

Goddam by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jun 29, 2022 at 10:21:09 AM EST
If all that metalwork stays in you'll certainly trigger the scanners now.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Getting there… | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)