Print Story "A Taliban Gay Pride March (but keep it PG)"
By xth again (Tue Jun 14, 2022 at 10:35:02 AM EST) (all tags)
Neal Stephenson, Dall-E 2, Salmonella, Coffee Hipness

Disappointing hero of the week: Neal Stephenson

Neal Stephenson getting into some hare-brained crypto scheme . Sigh. Tu Quoque, Neal . Mind you, it's not the first hare-brained scheme he gets himself into

Longing for: Dalle2

Man, I'd love to get access to Dalle2 soooo flipping much... I suggested the title to this post
Pictures of early internet memes as imagined by Dalle2
@Dalle2Pics

Virus of the week: Salmonella

Eaten a raw egg and got salmonella. It wasn't even carbonara, it was just a egg yolk. I love the taste of egg yolks, and The Daughter only eats omelettes made of egg whites, so... I'm on day 5. Day 1-3 were bad, 4-5 ok. Will go back to work tomorrow. Would not recommend.

Regretted buying (into): Coffee Hipness

I have never been a coffee hipster. It always seemed a lot of effort for little reward. Where I grew up espressos & co. have always been plentiful and cheap. Walk into any bar, pay a buck, get your quick small caffeine shot, walk out. No big deal. Later on I learned that the coffees in Italy are mostly quite crap. The reason they are so cheap is because they use substandard beans. Also most barmen there are not trained. I have actually been to catering school and worked in bars. I trained in cocktail making and wine serving, but coffee was just a footnote. And most barpeople haven't been to catering school. Going for an espresso is more an excuse to step out of work. Have a little socialising with whomever may be at the bar. Share some gossip. It's the small town equivalent of the water cooler. Nobody cares what the coffee tastes like, just add sugar and it's much of a muchness.
End of last year, my 20 years old cheap espresso machine began showing signs it wasn't going to last. The coffees were foul and undrinkable. I started researching what I could do to salvage the situation. Long story short, before I knew it I became the owner of an Aeropress (50 bucks). One of the hipster manual coffee grinders (200 bucks). Plus various accessories like a tamperer (another 100 bucks altogether). Then the machine finally went to The Great Scrapyard in The Sky, so got myself a Gaggia (600 bucks). I started going to special shops to buy coffee beans. The thing is, the coffees I made were still shit. I started watching youtube videos from hipsters about making the perfect coffee. In one of them I came across the Coffee & Tonic. It was new to me, but novel taste combinations always intrigue me. I had to try one. Undrinkable shite.
That's when the realisation hit that I was being an idiot. "Coffee hipster", what the fuck was I thinking. Coffee and tonic water, wtf. I managed to convince the manufacturer to take the grinder back. The Gaggia machine pisses me particularly off. It has two baskets. One is the "pressurised" one, which hipsters consider cheating and tell you to throw away. It has a little plastic pin that makes it work. The other is the "commercial" one, the same as they have in bars. We only use the pressurised one, I've given up on the other. Which defeats the point of getting a Gaggia. I tried to convince The Wife to sell it (Gaggias have a good resale value) and get a cheaper one, but she'll have none of it.
This week we lost the little pin which makes the pressurised basket work. Replacements will take at least 2 weeks. so we are using the Aereopress. I am actually quite happy with it. The Wife is beginning to see the appeal too. Perhaps I can still talk her into getting rid of the pointless hipster machine.
And that is all
< We Used To Look Up At The Sky And Wonder At Our Place In The Stars. | Getting there… >
"A Taliban Gay Pride March (but keep it PG)" | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden)
If I want espresso, I have a Moka pot by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jun 14, 2022 at 10:53:18 AM EST
which also works when camping, or during a power outage, or when trying to conquer Eqypt.

When I want to indulge my coffee hipsterness I pull out some green beans from Sweet Marias and roast them in a pop corn popper.

ROASTING beans? by xth again (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jun 14, 2022 at 12:58:05 PM EST
Jesus man, that's dedication

I've never got into mokas. Don't you risk burning the handle on camp fires? I guess that's probably part of the camping experience

It's about eight minutes in an air poppper by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jun 14, 2022 at 01:33:06 PM EST
to roast 1/3 cup to around city roast. It's not too hard.

We haven't taken the Moka camping yet. We did get a percolator last year, and we usually use our camping french press for coffee when camping.

I came here to say Moka pot by miserere (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jun 14, 2022 at 02:34:53 PM EST
Best friend is Roman and gave me coffee one evening made in her Bialetti. Not fancy beans, pre-ground, still the best coffee I've ever had.

Plus, it was cheap, and I've had it for years now and only needed to replace the (also cheap) gasket once. And it takes up much less counter space than any other sort of machine. Moka pots are the best.

You will never get me to roast my own beans, though.

I haven't yet roasted my own beans ... by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jun 14, 2022 at 04:40:26 PM EST
... but my neighbor roasts (and then sells), and sometimes gives us some as a gift. He also sometimes gives us extra eggs from the chickens (though from the ducks? Ah, those yolks!) ...

... a true enough saying about an aeropress (got one from the MIL for xmas last year): It can take bad beans and make mediocre coffee from them; and it can take great beans and make mediocre coffee from them. I know, you were just talking about your moka, but since aeropress was mentioned elsewhere ...

... my moka -- several gaskets later -- has been with me over a decade, now, probably since when I first moved to Tuscaloosa, but it does not get used that much these days.

Mediocre coffee by xth again (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jun 17, 2022 at 11:55:33 AM EST
One of the hipsters I watched on YT is often a judge at coffee competitions. He was saying that with espresso it's very clear who's good and who's bad, and the results are quite consistent. With aeropress instead there is a lot of variance. A competitor might make an amazing cup at the first round, and then next round it's just average.

Coffee by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jun 14, 2022 at 08:29:25 PM EST
I have been an Aeropress fan for over a decade.  Makes great coffee and incredibly convenient.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Oh, and... by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jun 14, 2022 at 08:30:26 PM EST
I still resent the good money I spent on Clang.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
On noes, you didn't did you... commiserations [nt] by xth again (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jun 17, 2022 at 11:47:33 AM EST

Yup, I did... by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Jun 17, 2022 at 01:59:30 PM EST
With Stephenson and Gabe Newell in the video I thought it was safe.   Lesson learned...
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
20 year old Mr Coffee by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed Jun 15, 2022 at 05:28:51 AM EST
A 4 cup one. Put in one mug’s worth of water, 2tbs of pre ground mass market coffee, pinch of salt. Makes Good Enough coffee.

Friend who’s an airline pilot got really into it. $2000 espresso maker plumbed into the kitchen counter with several valves, dials, and thermometers on it. Roasted his own beans. Utterly amazing coffee. Not $2000 amazing, but still…

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yeah, I couldn't see myself doing that by xth again (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Jun 17, 2022 at 11:52:56 AM EST
Even with food, I have a very well equipped kitchen (at least, "civilians" always seem to be awed) but most of my equipment is medium high quality but no more. I have friends who spent thousands on stove tops and kitchenettes and whatnot. I just find it odd and a bit obscene. "Let me replicate a 5* restaurant in the safety of my flat", I don't get that. But to each their own of course. I guess it's a variation of the shed with a complete carpentry workshop that some people have

It’s the whole diminishing returns thing. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #15 Sat Jun 18, 2022 at 09:27:25 PM EST

I appreciate good coffee, just not enough to put all that work and money into it.

This talk of Aeropresses, though, interests me. I’ll have to look into it.

yep, same by xth again (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Jun 19, 2022 at 03:02:00 AM EST
Aeropresses are good, better than filter coffee. Only drawback is that it's single shot, so you'll still need something else if making more than one

I use an aeropress almost exclusively by lm (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Jun 15, 2022 at 06:21:24 AM EST
Does the trick. Makes nice strong coffee.

When company comes over and we need a full pot, we've got an old fashioned drip machine. We mostly use it to make hot water for tea.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
Aeropress + frech press the way to go for me by xth again (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Jun 17, 2022 at 11:57:17 AM EST
Still trying to talk The Wife into it...