Print Story June 16th…
Health
By ObviousTroll (Thu May 26, 2022 at 07:19:25 AM EST) (all tags)
… will hopefully be the beginning of the end of this part of my life…

This is apparently a “complication” from my previous back surgery - cleaned up the bone to give my nerves room to do their thing but the vertebrae started sliding out of place at the end of 2021 and got worse at the beginning of May.

The plan is to fuse the bottom 4 vertebrae together because, according to the new surgeon, if he doesn’t I’ll be back on the table again within a year. He also claims I’ll still be able to ride but I strongly suspect this means the end of trying to do better every year and there might be a recumbent e-bike in my future.

< thinking once more | Paris syndrome: a form of culture shock characterized by symptoms such as acute delusional states >
June 16th… | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)
The weirdest part about all this? by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu May 26, 2022 at 07:21:59 AM EST
Back in MarchI discovered I was reliably setting off those full-body radar scanners they use in airports - they were reporting anomalies in my lower back and right leg. No one can explain why, google search shows only one scientifically-confirmed incident like it, the guess is that inflammation makes the machines think I’m hiding something inside my person.

what you smuggling by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu May 26, 2022 at 08:23:43 AM EST
in those pants, sir ?

I assure you by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #6 Thu May 26, 2022 at 11:52:53 AM EST
I’m just happy to see you.

Uh-huh by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun May 29, 2022 at 10:07:24 AM EST
Right.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

That's my birthday! by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu May 26, 2022 at 08:12:03 AM EST
I'll lift a pint to successful surgery and quick recovery on that day.

Time is too strange now for a real plot. --clock

I'm no doctor by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu May 26, 2022 at 08:23:26 AM EST
but that don't look so great there..

Don’t feel so great, either. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu May 26, 2022 at 11:53:41 AM EST
In April I was still riding, now just getting from the bed to the kitchen is a challenge.

At least you'll have a few months to refresh your by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #5 Thu May 26, 2022 at 09:07:27 AM EST
UNIX skills before hopping on that recumbent.

How's the beard coming along?

Itchy. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu May 26, 2022 at 11:55:41 AM EST
Very itchy.

Ugh by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu May 26, 2022 at 05:53:28 PM EST
I feel like spine surgery always leads to more spine surgeries.

I'm trying to make it as long as possible before my next surgery. Despite 3 surgeries, I still have two discs failing. The pain is almost always present but tolerable so I am putting off repairing it until I can’t tolerate it any longer

That’s pretty much where I was. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu May 26, 2022 at 07:49:03 PM EST
I mean, I’ve been in pain for months but in March I was snorkeling and hiking, and in April I was still riding, but now I’ve just reached the point where my wife is following me around offering to help me with every day tasks because I’m stopping every few seconds to try and shift my body into a position that doesn’t hurt as much and a solid night of sleep is just something I remember.

June 16th… | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)