Print Story thinking once more
Cycling
By gzt (Mon May 23, 2022 at 09:02:50 PM EST) gzt, bikes, jorb (all tags)
about an exercise bike.

not a trainer that i can put bikes on (note i don't have a bike).

I've had an issue where a certain sensitive area starts to hurt if I run and an athletic supporter only helps so much. so biking seems like an option. but I don't really want to do it outdoors. hey, I can play chess or something while doing it. the wife can use it too which is a big plus -- rather than having to buy a second bike to put on the trainer.

have a big meeting tomorrow morning. fingers crossed. nothing is a sure thing until it happens.

probably going to have to drink from the firehose soon: learning python, some other practical things, some theoretical things, hit the ground running, things of that nature.

i present at a conference on friday. we've already submitted the paper so it's not like I have to come up with the whole narrative, the figures, things of that nature, I just need to assemble the slides. Partly done. I hoped to finish today but I'll finish tomorrow. I want to at least show the slides to collaborators in advance.

Played a chess tournament a week ago. They generally split into sections by skill, I'm in the one just below the "Open" (top) section. Anyway, I went 4/4, winning the section. Very fun.

< The rivers are drying out | June 16th… >
thinking once more | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)
I'm no sa or developer by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue May 24, 2022 at 02:59:53 PM EST
but python is pretty easy. It took a few weeks but I  learned enough to pass the tests my corporation gives for basic understanding of it.

A couple of things are quite hard by xth again (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue May 24, 2022 at 03:12:48 PM EST
..namely async, and particularly async testing

can't tell if trolling by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu May 26, 2022 at 08:24:47 AM EST
or knows about the GIL..

nothing as advanced as that... by xth again (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri May 27, 2022 at 10:35:20 AM EST
...I just struggled a bit with the whole Python approach to async. Particularly passing a reusable aiohttp.ClientSession to different methods and then mocking it in tests... I find that kind of stuff effortless in JS, not so in Python.

But other than that goergeha was right, it's very easy to pick up and very readable, even someone relatively new to it like myself can follow code written by experts without too much trouble.

python async by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri May 27, 2022 at 01:05:44 PM EST
As a long-time python person, I am extremely dubious about async.  It got added to the language very late, so unlike in JS, it's not baked in.   I run a large project that uses asyncio for a web service and the results have been mixed.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Agreed by xth again (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat May 28, 2022 at 11:02:43 AM EST
And it doesn't look like it will ever get better, since Python 4 is not on the cards. But hey, it's good for most other things, so no complaints.

Exercise bikes by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon May 30, 2022 at 09:11:30 AM EST
First, exercise bikes are easy to find for free or low cost online these days. In fact, I might be able to hook you up for a free one if you want to drive to Dayton, Ohio.

Second, I would recommend a bike and a smart trainer over an exercise bike for the ability to use apps like Zwift or Sufferfest to make things interesting. If you're buying used, a crappy bike that fits your frame + a smart trainer will be in the same price range as the smart stationary bikes.

Third, if there is a Y in your neck of the woods, you can get the smart stationary bike + swimming + weight training gear for a pretty decent price.

Fourth, I don't know what you're end goal is for cycling but a rowing machine is probably better for most end goals.

Fifth, if I'm reading you right Bag Balm and compression trunks of sufficient length will fix your issue with running.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
thinking once more | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)