Print Story Do I write a whine or do I toot on hulvr.com
Health
By ObviousTroll (Fri Nov 18, 2022 at 02:54:12 PM EST) (all tags)
I mean, twitter is useless.

So, my new job is insane but I’m having fun. Is that weird?

I think I’ve mentioned this bit before: After 40 years of tech and 30 years as a back-end dev when I came back from, errr, “health sabbatical”, I was told that the guy running our own personal super-computer cluster was leaving and could I take on the operations part of his job? Well, how could I say no when I’d already missed so much work? It made all kinds of sense even if I haven’t done operations since 1989?

The one bright spot in the insanity of dealing with people in all 24 time zones texting me for help was that the guy who left, left behind an assistant. The assistant was “just” a contractor, “just” turned 65 and, despite being less than 10 years older than me always sounded (on teams) like his name should be “Festus” and I kept waiting for him to go on a rant and wave his hat about someone named “Slappy”. Never stops talking, always wants to do voice because text messages are… not for him, I guess.

I mean… classic old-west tech guy. Annoying as hell but he knew his stuff and he had the institutional knowledge that I lacked.

Last Monday he was complaining about his foot and as the details came out I became more and more concerned. When he mentioned that he went to the ER but came home because the wait was too long, and then mentioned how it was turning black, I nagged him to go again.

Turns out the MF’er has type-II diabetes and hasn’t been taking care of himself. Now they want to amputate.

It was hard not to make the comparison with how I treated my back after the first surgery, and it’s hard not to blame him for not taking care of himself, and it’s hard not to panic about trying to deal with all this by myself - but…

For God’s sake, people, take care of yourselves, people! Go to the damned doctor occasionally!
< oxi day | It's been a long time since I did the stroll >
Do I write a whine or do I toot on hulvr.com | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)
Yes! by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Nov 18, 2022 at 07:28:55 PM EST
My Father-in-Law almost died because he decided to "man up" and power through some pain, which turned out to be appendicitis.

Also, coincidentally, my step-father just got out of the ER.   His sugar was 700.   He had no idea he was diabetic and blamed the symptoms on "getting old"
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I have a complete physical every year by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Nov 20, 2022 at 05:23:33 PM EST
This year’s is next week. Insurance covers it, and I get to charge it to sick leave.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I've been doing that as well by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Nov 21, 2022 at 07:04:04 AM EST
Mine's in a few weeks. Mostly she tells me to get used to it, I'm getting old.

I’ve got two new joint noises by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Nov 22, 2022 at 06:25:05 AM EST
to tell the doc about, both in my left hand (I’m left handed) and a new pain in the area of my left hip which moves around a bit.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

going to the doc is good by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Nov 28, 2022 at 10:46:50 PM EST
But having a good doctor is key too.  Mom's doctor died, so she had to find a new one.  She's got Type 2 diabetes but supposedly was in good health otherwise.  She gets a new doc and uh hey she's at stage 3 kidney failure. New doc got her a specialist and she's managing it, but man if her old doc had lived for another 10 years who knows.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Do I write a whine or do I toot on hulvr.com | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)