Print Story Not the lazy Sunday I wanted
Health
By georgeha (Mon Jan 31, 2022 at 12:42:48 PM EST) slopes, ODBII (all tags)
not the lazy Sunday I needed. Update [2022-2-1 14:57:2 by georgeha]: Sutures and surgery

Saturday was busy. We planned on celebrating my dad's 81st at my parents, so I had to pick up twenty_year_old and her bf first. Twenty_five_year_old was going to meet us there, as she was going snowboarding later that day.

We had a nice celebration with take out Thai, then I took the two shopping, and then back to their apartment. Then I got to go home and relax. The week had been rough and I was hoping for a lazy Sunday where I didn't have to leave the house, and I could start on paperwork. You know, gather tax forms, get rid of old paperwork, clear off my desk...

Seriously, our family gets lots and lots of paperwork, and I'm the one who ends up dealing with almost all of it.

Saturday evening twenty_five_year_old called, she had a fall snowboarding and is all splinted and slung up. Her friend is driving her home. The ski patrol didn't think she had a broken arm.

Sunday morning she woke up in a lot of pain, so off to Urgent Care we went. After a few hours it was confirmed broken. It was a cold few hours sitting in the minivan alone.

Her friend who got her into this was willing to help, so we went back home to meet him and didn't get into a head on collision. I really should have turned right and taken a long way out of the Urgent Care parking lot. Left was clear, right was clear, across the street down the hill there was a car coming out of the Dollar Tree parking lot I didn't see.

Another hour and half to drive to Bristol, drop them off and come home. Sunday was spent helping out our daughter, and not relaxing.

It was my first time there, and probably my first time at a ski slope in winter. Those hills looked tall and steep.

I should be used to this, two years ago Mrs. HA and the oldest were both in casts. But I'm feeling frazzled, stressed and overworked, with burn out peaking over the horizon.

On a brighter note, the Autel MS609 ODBII reader I bought is great. It has an extension cord to attach to the port, and it cleared the ABS/VSA codes that appeared from changing the battery.

Update [2022-2-1 14:57:2 by georgeha]: I got a good look at Mrs. Ha's sutures the other days while examining her bloody gauze pads. They really did take a section of skin and flesh out that resembled an anchor for each boob. There was probably enough removed to make a few more boobs. The oldest has a cat scan today, and her ortho wants her to have surgery this week. It's that sort of arm/elbow break.

< Sigh.
Not the lazy Sunday I wanted | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden)
(Comment Deleted) by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Feb 01, 2022 at 11:06:04 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by ObviousTroll

Stupid touch screen. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Feb 01, 2022 at 11:11:48 AM EST
Something keeps scrambling my attempts to post.

Sorry to hear about your daughter. Glad you dodged the collision.

We had a rough weekend as well - SWHTL had a cancerous mole removed, SWHTL’s mom fell and banged up her knees, my sister got hospitalized for COVID, and the PT for my back is absolutely not working. Pretty sure things are getting worse instead of better but it can be really hard to tell if pain today is better or worse than pain 9 months ago.

We’re supposed to take our 2020 vacation at the beginning of March, assuming they let us on the plane. When we planned it I was worried I’d be bored to tears by hanging out on a beach for 5 days but with my back I’m thinking I may just load up on eBooks, buy some booze and camp out next to the water after all.

baen.com by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Feb 01, 2022 at 11:15:48 AM EST
has lots of free ebooks, usually the first one in a series.

Oooo. Yeah. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Feb 01, 2022 at 11:27:30 AM EST
I used to go there often but I haven’t in a few years. I’ll have to check them out again.

I’ve been getting my books from a spammer called BookBub - it tells you which books are on sale for $2 each day and where to get them. Been buying a lot of older murder mysteries that way.

I get the daily amazon kindle email by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Feb 01, 2022 at 11:31:55 AM EST
and I'm thinking about getting Ancillary Justice for $2.99.

I get emails from book cave and tor, too.

I should look into book bub.

Don’t forget gutenberg by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Feb 01, 2022 at 01:24:44 PM EST
Lots of good stuff there.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Back by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Feb 02, 2022 at 11:57:26 AM EST
long story short, my sister has had back issues for years that were found after an injury that PT didn't help.  What did end up helping her:  she found an actual pilates instructor - not YMCA, person at the gym, or anything like that - who asked to see her MRIs and x-rays.  She spent the first 9 months doing what seemed to be odd exercises, but one day she noticed her back pain was ~gone~.  And a whole lot of other issues are ~gone~.  It's been like 8? years, and she still goes to classes on the regular, it's been a wonderful thing.

Interesting note:  one day, after not going to classes for a month, the pilates lady noticed her hip muscles were off and asked if she had a foot injury she was compensating for.  Sister was all WHA??  2 weeks later her foot was in horrible pain (to the point she couldn't walk), and was later diagnosed with a torn plantar fascia.

Again, this may sound WOO WOO, but I really want to stress she went to a person who studies and understands musculature.  There's exactly 1 that she found in the whole city of Philadelphia.

I had a similar experience with a chiro by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Feb 02, 2022 at 08:31:04 PM EST
and neck pain, years ago. He had a masseuse work on my neck each week and then he'd crack it, and for months I just did it because the massages felt good - and then I realized I stopped getting the headaches that I'd been having every day for years and years.

I have to do some thinking and looking around for someone like that for my back and legs; each 6-week PT stint left me feeling like things were getting better but then a new set of symptoms would turn up; there was a point during the holidays when I was desperate for just a few hours sleep because nothing I did would let me relax for more than an hour or two. Things are a bit better now but for months there's never been a moment when I've been truly pain free - but surgical options (putting in a new disc or fusing the vertebrae) are truly scary in terms of how major the operation seems to be - let alone trying to get a second surgery during the endless COVID problems.

Actually, my wife also has done yoga and pilates for many years but she's afraid to try and teach me herself - she's just someone with a bunch of old VHS tapes, no actual training.

Not the lazy Sunday I wanted | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden)