Print Story Is it still winter? Is it still covid?
By georgeha (Fri Jan 21, 2022 at 03:16:44 PM EST) Harbor Freight, Honda, Subaru, Dutch oven (all tags)
Plus a Harbor Freight Christmas, a semidry January, car troubles, a disappointing King day and less.

It's been a while. The holidays were nice, but too short. I ended up with a short, short story in a 1632 Christmas, it's been a long time since my fiction writing skills were recognized. No money yet, we'll see how many it sells. It did make getting a present for my mom easier.

I did get a lot of Harbor Freight stuff. I got a portable worktable/vise, and a gift card that I used to get a big cast iron Dutch oven. I think learning how to use a Dutch oven will be a goal this year. I guess they're great for camping, and I can't wait to go camping again.

I had my first King day off in a long time, maybe the first time ever. I don't remember how it was celebrated in the 80's. It could have been better, we got about over a foot of snow, I ended up shoveling a lot. There's still a lot of snow on the ground, our driveway is still full.

Mrs. Ha is going in for a reduction surgery next week, so she's been told to quit smoking and drinking, and she has. In solidarity, I'm cutting down too, to maybe only two beers with dinner. February is going to be lit!

I'm taking the day of the surgery off, and the day after. This weekend we will probably quarantine to avoid the chance of catching covid though the college kids will probably need to do a grocery run.

I'm tired of winter, I'm tired of the pandemic. This morning I went off to work, while getting gas on the way. It will be nice when I can figure out when it's slow at Costco, I can save close to $10 a tank on the minivan. I get to work, my fingers are numb. I remove the key and drop it, remove my gloves, fumble around for the key, fumble around opening my backpack, fumble around getting a mask and putting it on with number fingers. I miss WFH.

Oh yeah, we joined Costco. I'm still figuring out how to make it work for us, ie make the membership pay for itself.

Working on cars in the winter sucks, and both cars have issues. The minivan's battery had to be replaced a few weeks back. I wasn't surprised that the radio went, I was suprised that ABS and traction control aren't working. I was able to find the code for the radio and get it working this morning, over the weekend I have to get out there, short some wires in the ODBII port, and hope that it fixes the ABS and traction control. I have no idea when I'll figure out how to recalibrate the TPMS.

The Subaru probably needs a new battery. That's also a chore for this weekend. I'm going to bundle up. I made sure to grab my faux mechanix gloves for that, they're usually just used to move pallets.

Twenty_five_year_old is learning how to snowboard. Her bestie goes skiiing/snowboarding every weekend, he convinved her to try it. She'll be going to Bristol most Saturdays while the snow lasts.

It's almost the weekend, hooray!

< To The Emperor! | Sigh. >
Is it still winter? Is it still covid? | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)
1980s MLK day by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jan 21, 2022 at 06:52:18 PM EST
Back in white flight Baltimore County, it was mostly ignored. By my senior year of high school somebody brought it up, and my calculus teacher pointed out how appropriate an integration (sorry) test was for that day. This was such a segregated school (the next door rival was well integrated) that the running joke was that "best dressed guy" was wide open since we didn't have any black guys this year (it wasn't *completely* white/asian, but close enough).

I heard the official amount of snow was ~9", and roughly what was in Henrietta and Brighton. Might have looked like a foot after last year's bust. And if the subby's battery starts now (sub 10F), when is it going to fail?

Wumpus

It seemed deeper than that in the city by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Jan 22, 2022 at 09:17:44 AM EST
near Cobbs Hill. My hand span is about 9 inches, it was deeper than that.

Entering the 3rd year of COVID by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jan 24, 2022 at 10:53:59 AM EST
Kind of amazing, isn't it? How something that we once thought would be a 2- or 3- week break from the mundane has turned into "the new normal".

I started riding my bike into the office in the summer of 2021 simply to get out of my darned basement but there were never more than 4 of us in a cube farm made for 100 people and, frankly, most of the time I'm the only one there at all. I'm still driving in (till the days get long enough) a few days a week but I'm not sure I see the point except to give SWHTL a chance to vacuum or run the washer without worrying about disrupting a Teams meeting.

(I keep asking her to show me how to do the laundry "correctly" so I can do it when I know it won't be a problem but I don't think she trusts me to do more than throw it all in at once and set the machine to "heavy load / cold"...

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
It's still pretty much a ghost town here by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jan 24, 2022 at 12:39:31 PM EST
We bought some large TVs in December to zero out our budget. Right now I'm sharing my quad cube with a 65 inch Vizio on a rolling stand. It was intended for demos and such, but I suspect it will be a few more months before we start getting close to a full house again.

At least I get good parking spots when it's desolate.

(Comment Deleted) by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 25, 2022 at 06:10:31 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by wiredog

We’re pretty much a full house here. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jan 25, 2022 at 06:12:21 AM EST
We’re even talking about hot desking for one project. But it’s a scif, so we were never completely empty anyway.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Costco UK by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jan 27, 2022 at 09:58:26 AM EST
We have that in UKIa and I'm member. The Costco price of petrol differential compared other retailers for a full tank is about the same as yours (£7). It pays for itself if you have a family and buy in bulk  but for a single person or a couple, it's not worth it. My problems with it is that items aren't consistently there and my nearest branch is a 25 mins drive.

Is it still winter? Is it still covid? | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)