Print Story So, if you didn't already know, I'm a lunatic.
By ObviousTroll (Thu Sep 02, 2021 at 10:50:35 AM EST) (all tags)
Yesterday evening the remains of hurricane Ida came through, spinning off tornados as it went, and SWHTL and I live just a few dozen yards from a fairly major creek. Had some concerns as we went to be last night but when I woke up this morning, still had power, still dry, but lots of flooding all around. Work apparently has no power so I couldn't even work from home, so I decided to go out on my bike, see what I could see. I quickly discovered that many of the town's roads - and all of my regular bike routes - were flooded, so I ended up going south, climbing up over the ridge and down into Malvern, and then back again.

Towards the end of the ride, I was coming down the ridge on a steep part of a country road, doing 30 MPH+ (probably 50 KPH+) when I noticed 2 things. First, there was a car coming up behind me. Second, there was a series of extremely large potholes right in front of me - deep enough to instantly wreck me if my front wheel went in one of them. The potholes overlapped enough that there was no good way around them, couldn't stop in time, all I could do was... jump.

So I stood up on the bike and flexed my knees, praying that at least my front wheel would clear the potholes and that my momentum would drag the back wheel up and out of whereever it landed - because if I fell, I was going to get run over by that car... So I shouted, and I jumped, as hard as I could.

... and I completely cleared all the potholes, landing on the far side as smoothly as a figure skater completing her routine... From now on my battle cry is to yell "SHIIIITTTT!" and then laugh like a maniac for 30 seconds...

My neighborhood this morning:
imgur.com/dLp6iuj
imgur.com/DwseO3y

< Wereanteaters
So, if you didn't already know, I'm a lunatic. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden)
The fastest my bike will go by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Sep 02, 2021 at 11:19:25 AM EST
is about 15 MPH. Downhill, pedaling as fast as I can.

How well did the car handle the potholes?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I'm doing my ride tomorrow, by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Sep 02, 2021 at 11:20:48 AM EST
after the wind dies down. The weather's going to be perfect for the 55 mile ride out to Purcelleville for barbecue.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

The weather was the main reason by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Sep 02, 2021 at 03:00:33 PM EST
I wanted to go out today despite knowing everything was going to be a mess. The sky was blue, the temp was in the lower 60's, it was spectacular.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I actually had a chance to glance at the car after by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Sep 02, 2021 at 02:56:52 PM EST
I landed and it nearly went off the road when it hit the potholes. Made the jump feel just that much sweeter. ;-)

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Good job clearing them all by lm (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Sep 02, 2021 at 12:31:02 PM EST
Smacking into a pothole that fast can be a good way to blow out a tire. At 30mph, that would have sucked.

But you did it, dude. You did it!

My new (now a couple years old) bike surprised me at Lake Placid. One part of the course is known as The Descent. I hit 45mph at one point without pedaling at all. No shaking. No wobbling. Smooth as silk, hella fast. That was the high point of the race.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
Yeah, ~40 is about the limit for this bike. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Sep 02, 2021 at 06:57:16 PM EST
It starts shimmying way too much above that speed.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Keene descent is fun by miker2 (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Sep 03, 2021 at 07:02:45 AM EST
 Did that in the rain during both races up there, got over 50 since carbon wheels + rim brakes + water = decorative brakes.

If only the car behind you by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #6 Thu Sep 02, 2021 at 03:03:51 PM EST
had a dashcam, you could have been a TikTok hit.

The first time I ever did something gopro worthy.. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Sep 02, 2021 at 04:45:14 PM EST
and the gopro was at home in a drawer.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals