Print Story I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record
Music
By georgeha (Wed Sep 15, 2021 at 01:08:35 PM EST) covid, Canada, punk, celtic (all tags)
Plus, back to Canuckistan, no new to us minivan yet, short timer and less.

Poll: What 80's band do you want to see?

My first post-Covid show is coming, Saturday at the Main Street Armory we're going to see the Violent Femmes and Flogging Molly. There's another band opening up, I forget who.

It will be a friends and family affair, my sister is coming from Buffalo, and we're meeting a good friend from high school.

I've never seen either of them, and I've been wanting to see them. In the case of the Violent Femmes, I've been wanting to see them for since the last century.

It took a while to commit to tickets, since they started at $96 plus services charges.

Friday is my covid test since I'm flying to Vancouver on Monday. I get to see the Seattle airport on Monday, and the San Francisco airport on Friday. That's the closest I will have ever gotten to Seattle or the Bay Area.

I looked up a few gaming stores in the Vancouver area, but I'm not sure if if it's worth riding on the bus a half hour each way. I should try to get into Vancouver, I may never get back there again. IT all depends on how things go at the customer site. My current boss wants someone else to go in December.

No new to us minivan yet, due to the travel. When I get back we have to focus on replacing the Fozzie with a car that won't break off a wheel if I hit a pothole.

I did finally get reimbursed for June's trip.

Mrs. Ha put in her notice at her job, she had to do a four week notice according to what she signed. She has two weeks left, hooray! It's a rough job to work so intimately with someone when you're incompatible with each other.

Looking at my poll and doing research, I saw a few big bands in the 80s. Ozzy, Talking Heads, Ratt, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, the B-52a, Ten Thousand Maniacs, Black Flag. The best of that group was the Talking Heads on the Stop Making Sense tour.

< So, if you didn't already know, I'm a lunatic. | To The Emperor! >
I hope you know that this will go down on your permanent record | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden)
Four week notice by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Sep 15, 2021 at 01:49:27 PM EST
I've been asked twice and both times the company did absolutely nothing with the extra time they requested.

After working with the agency by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 15, 2021 at 01:56:54 PM EST
to get Mrs. Ha hired, I understand the four weeks. The agency sent a 40 page PDF to be filled out and asked it be sent back by email or fax. Mailing was not allowed.

Their email gateway blocked attachments larger than 10 megs. It took about three emails to get everything back to them.

It took a few go arounds for them to accept it all, including Mrs. Ha having to fill out non-citizen paperwork, because she couldn't leave a blank form, even if it stated it was for non-citizens only.

I'd like to see U2 again by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Sep 15, 2021 at 03:11:35 PM EST
I'm not angry enough to go to a DK show anymore.

SEATAC has a nice concourse where you can sit and watch the ramp and runway operations.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

DK might be safely in my past by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 15, 2021 at 03:34:46 PM EST
even if I never saw them.

I have about two and a half hours to kill in SEATAC, I can find that concourse.

DK shows aren't so angy anymore by lm (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Sep 19, 2021 at 01:22:06 PM EST
I saw them at the 9:30 Club's last show before shutting down before the Pandemic.

They're still doing entirely their old repertoire with a few tweaks (MP3 Get Off the Web instead of MTV Get Off the Air) but it comes off as ironic social commentary more than outright anger. The Jello stand-in (Skip) is good enough on vocals. The rest of the band is solid although D.H. Peligro really steals the show.

I was a bit disappointed that they don't have any new material since Jello left. But it was a fun show.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
Alas ... by BlueOregon (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Sep 18, 2021 at 05:35:35 PM EST
... going to have to miss the concert at the Armory ... as I'm working tonight.

We used to live a block walk from it (which meant that people who wanted to go there for shows like to park in our driveway ... assholes). Bit further away now.

Enjoy!

Bummer, there could have been more people by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Sep 20, 2021 at 03:27:32 PM EST
I know there that I wouldn't have met up with.

The Femmes may be the only 80s band ... by lm (4.00 / 1) #7 Sun Sep 19, 2021 at 01:24:56 PM EST
... that I really would like to see.

I'd go to see a number of 80s bands if the venue were intimate enough. I really liked Poptone (1/2 of Bauhaus, 2/3 of Love and Rockets) tour a few years ago. But for the most part, I'd rather see a new show.

Devo might be an exception. Or if Brainiac reformed.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
They were really good by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Sep 20, 2021 at 03:31:19 PM EST
I knew about half their set, and I can't think of any songs I knew that they didn't play.

Gordon Dano, I guess he wrote their debut album while in high school. Way too talented.