Print Story 50
By jimgon (Sat Aug 14, 2021 at 08:13:03 AM EST) (all tags)
It’s my cohort’s turn this year.

A lot of the people I know turn 50 this year. My turn is next week, I toyed with the idea of inviting everyone I know who turns 50 this year over for fire, food and drink. But I really hate entertaining and with general emotional and psychological burnout that the last few years has generated I can’t really muster the energy.

There’s something about turning fifty that finally matured my mental image of myself, I never thought of myself as old until now, my mental self image was always younger, but not now. Something about being at a point in life where my yesterdays outnumber my tomorrows.

Super Mega Corporation, after years of terminating telecommuters, has embraced telecommuting. Something about them seeing increases in productivity since the COVID Diaspora. Their productivity measures in IT are complete garbage, but I don’t have the energy to explain that to an MBA junior executive. At any rate I decided that after a decade of commuting two hours each way every day that I would take them up on their new found embrace of freedom. I am now a full time telecommuter.

We finally refinanced our mortgage. We had fourteen years left in our thirty year mortgage, so we refinanced to a fifteen year fixed rate mortgage with our credit union. The monthly savings is huge.

The puppy we got in February was listed as a beagle-Jack Russell mix. If there’s beagle in this dog I don’t see it. The boy is nearly all Jack Russell. He has puppy energy and our five year-old true beagle has no interest in him. The puppy has started responding to me using the Dad Voice and saying stop. Hopefully that will stick.

In other news I deactivated FB again, but I mostly haven’t used it since December anyway. I have a public Twitter account under my real name and my political Muppet account.

< A Well Needed Break | This was always the endgame >
50 | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)
kid (nt) by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Aug 14, 2021 at 09:18:43 PM EST

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Yeah by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Aug 30, 2021 at 02:31:22 PM EST
I mean, I turn 59 this year.

"I honestly pity the stupid motherfucker who tries to talk down to iGrrrl" - mrgoat
Pretty soon you'll be telling the grandkids by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Aug 31, 2021 at 05:13:32 AM EST
your stories of being a roadie with Adam Ant.

And they'll be asking "Who was she, grandma?"

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I occasionally see you on twitter and other places by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #2 Mon Aug 16, 2021 at 04:57:54 AM EST
Always feel like "small world!" when that happens.

I think it was probably last year, 55, when I started to really feel "late middle aged". And this year I realized that Dad was only 5 years older than I am now when he retired.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Seeing you around by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Aug 16, 2021 at 12:23:46 PM EST
I do see you about the other media. I try very hard to wedge all the politics into that Muppet account.

The age thing. I just started thinking differently all of a sudden.  It started slowly when I noticed the kids at work are the age I was when I started working,

---------------
50 | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)