Print Story Have a polite Canada Day, eh
Travel
By georgeha (Thu Jul 01, 2021 at 10:41:31 AM EST) hockey, heatwave, Canada, hexity goodness (all tags)
or whatever the appropriate words are.

Plus, why I like the Habs, back from Richmond, a busy four day weekend and less.

Poll: What will I do on my four day weekend?

It's July, we're seeing temperatures in the mid 90s and breaking records, which means we're still in the hockey playoffs. Once the Sabres get eliminated I root for teams that typically experience snow and ice outside in the winter over sunbelt teams, and original teams over teams that went south and chased money. Thus, the Habs qualify due to the first part.

I got back from the Vancouver area and even managed to submit my expense report. As I expected, my time in Richmond was work, the hotel, and walking back and forth between the two. The first day there I walked by the Aberdeen mall, as that was my Skytrain stop, but it looked dead and I had to get to the customer site.

Foodwise, Kiyo sushi was probably the highlight, though the fish tacos in the Vancouver airport were good. One late night I was looking forward to McDonalds because the hotel restaurant closed at 9, but they locked their doors around 9, too.

The redeye to Montreal wasn't that full, but I still had a dude in front of me recline. Then just as I was about to nod off the flight attendant woke me to make sure my seat belt was on, asshole. I was in my seat, I wasn't sprawled across the row, but he woke me. Jerk.

Flying internationally is nice in a pandemic, both flights were near empty.

I had trouble with my expense report. I have to report expenses against my itinerary, my first itinerary was 14 to 18 June. When I submitted a McDonald's breakfast for 15 June against it, it didn't take and I was told expenses have to be within the itinerary dates. I guess the backend thought my itinerary was just June 18th. So, I submitted a lot of expenses on just that date, I hope it goes through.

The trip back took about 21 hours, and I wasn't allowed to submit a meal for that itinerary. Travel sucks.

Nearly_twenty_year_old got on the Dean's list for the Spring 2021 semester, I hope the uni gives a little more aid for next year.

Nearly_twenty_five_year_old is now a head lifeguard and working full time, which is good, as she gets kicked off our benefits next year. The supplied benefits are not that good, but what are you going to do?

The heatwave broke, and our window a/c and house wiring is not up to the task. If I crank it, and nearly_twenty_year_old cranks hers the breakers flip. I think I will remove it and take the cover off and clean it, it helped last year. I need to clean nearly_twenty_year_old's too, she thinks that where the silverfish came from.

I did get a decent night's sleep last night, but it doesn't make up for three hot, sleepless nights.

I have a four day weekend coming up, and I have lots to do. Mrs. Ha is working Saturday and Monday (hooray, holiday rates) and we're going to my parents on Sunday to celebrate the youngest's birthday a day early and see the fireworks. The biggest priority is putting in a bathroom exhaust fan, but I may get to other things.

< Cardboard and compost | No Need to Cry, as we all knew it was coming. >
Have a polite Canada Day, eh | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)
I suspect Vancouver has excellent seafood. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jul 02, 2021 at 05:55:07 AM EST
I (growing up on the east coast) never understood why people like salmon so much until I went to Seattle.

I was think of moving north, to cooler climes, if I ever retire, but now that parts of Canada are warmer than the Mojave Desert...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Cape Breton will probably stay cool by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Jul 02, 2021 at 08:55:15 AM EST
there should be surfing, and oceanside property should be reasonable.

I did eat a lot of seafood, and some of it was good.

Monday was fish and chips, and I think the cod went through the same process used for McDonald's chicken nuggets, it was pasty.

I got the salmon bento box from Kiyo, it was great.

Wednesday was a seafood salad, pretty good.

Friday was the seafood tacos at the airport, also good. I didn't feel bad about lingering there because it was dead.

Holiday weekend by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jul 02, 2021 at 07:03:21 AM EST
I'll be installing a new sump pump and likely doing a small roof repair.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
Will you be able to find time for a long bike ride by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jul 02, 2021 at 09:06:12 AM EST
on a hot, humid day?

We will be cool until Monday, so I have some time before we need a working a/c.

July 4th weather in DCia by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jul 02, 2021 at 10:40:49 AM EST
Sunny, mid-80's, low humidity. I plan on doing a ride. Saturday is supposed to be nice, too.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Aside from house repairs by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jul 02, 2021 at 11:40:48 AM EST
I have a long run planned for Saturday and a long bike/swim planned for Sunday.

Also, going to pick up a new (to us) pickup, a 1985 Mazda with only about 40k on the clock and maybe crabbing in the Wye River.

Odds are good at least one of these things will get dropped.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
An 85 Mazda Pickup! by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jul 02, 2021 at 11:57:46 AM EST
it will be so small you might be able to fit it in a normal parking spot, and not require a step ladder to get into it.

I am lusting over the new Ford Maverick, a pickup with decent gas mileage that will fit in our driveway, whoa!

The Maverick looks pretty sweet by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Jul 03, 2021 at 08:18:35 AM EST
Kia releasing their Santa Cruz compact pickup for the 2022 model year.

Rumor has it Suburu is also going to reintroduce a compact truck to the market.

If I were in the market for a new new truck, I'd hold out to see what Suburu is going to do.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
Ford Mavericks by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Jul 03, 2021 at 03:47:51 PM EST
I drove a Ford Maverick in high school and it was not remotely "sweet"...it was enough to make me swear off ever purchasing a Ford again. :-P
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
My mom dated a nun that drove a Maverick by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Jul 11, 2021 at 09:14:06 AM EST
Yeah, that was not one of their better efforts

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
Have a polite Canada Day, eh | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)