Print Story Travel in the time of Coronavirus
Travel
By georgeha (Fri Jun 04, 2021 at 11:39:30 AM EST) covid, PVC, plumbing (all tags)
plus, another exhausting weekend, flea market, Richmond, and less. [UDATE] mask free (mostly)

I should retitle my last diary, something like "four days off of paid work" because I ended doing two days of plumbing at home.

The utility sinks in the basement were slow draining, then they stopped draining all together. The washer goes into one, so we were without the use of a washing machine.

Saturday I spent most of the day getting them to drain. If anyone is curious, using a plunger on a sink drain is a great way to work your core; my abs and my triceps are still sore. That was the only benefit from using the plunger, the drain was still clogged.

The three sinks were connected with PVC, going into the line on the basement floor. There were no cleanouts, so I had to cut into a PVC elbow. I did, with a dull hacksaw blade and a drill, and then painstakingly snaked it. I went down 25 feet and it started draining.

No rest for me though, I had to be at the airport at 11:30 at night to pick up nineteen_year_old.

Sunday we went to my parents since Mrs. Ha had to work on Monday. The girls brought laundry since my parents have a kitchen washer and dryer and a basement one. They got caught up.

Most of my Monday was spent snaking again, removing the old PVC and figuring out how to attach a new elbow. I probably did it the stupid and hard way, and probably inhaled some PVC until I grabbed a mask. While hacksaws, drills, a soldering iron and a rotary tool can all work on PVC, the rotary tool was the most helpful.

It's back together, it may leak a bit, and if I have to remove it again I have a better idea on how to replace the elbow.

At some point, Monday or Saturday, I also cleaned the dryer vent hose.

I had wanted to put in an outlet in the attic last weekend, but didn't have time. Mrs. Ha has to work tomorrow, so I guess I'll do it then. There are no outlets up there, just a pull light socket that died last week.

Then there's a lot of yard work. With me working at the campus, I don't get as much time to do yard work as I did when I was WFH. I should work on convincing the other people in the house that they can use an electric mower.

Sunday a high school frenemy of nineteen_year_old is running a flea market near by. We might attend, though we have to drop nineteen_year_old off a block away, she doesn't want us to embarrass her.

The trip to the left coast of Canada is still happening, though I am really going to Richmond, BC. I've been to Richmond VA, I wonder how they compare. It's a hassle. I need to get tested for Coronovirus 72 hours before I leave for Canada, with results. I need to get tested for Coronavirus 72 hours before I return to the states. The first test might be free, the second one will cost $500. I will get reimbursed eventually, I should have asked for a larger advance.

I may end up with a free day in Richmond on Friday, my return flight doesn't leave until 11:30 pm. It may be easiest to take a hotel shuttle to the airport, check my bag and leave the airport with my backpack. It all depends on how it goes at the customer.

I then get to spend most of the day in Montreal, then Chicago, then home for close to twenty four hours traveling. On the positive side, I can catch up on a lot of my mandatory Agile training in Montreal.

I hope I get easily reimbursed for my return trip, but I can see problems since my expenses will be the day after my short term assignation ends. You have to love a bureaucracy.

Update [2021-6-4 16:53:27 by georgeha]: In other work news, we are mostly mask free at work, if you're vaccinated. You still have to wear a mask on the manufacturing floor, since they use a different method for health and vaccination status, but they should be mask free on Monday.

This offer not available in Oregon.

< Greetings Infidels | OK ok ok ok fine. >
Travel in the time of Coronavirus | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)
Skip the flight to Chicago by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jun 04, 2021 at 03:21:07 PM EST
Just stay in Montreal. Such a great city.

I do want to go back there for fun by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jun 04, 2021 at 03:41:28 PM EST
and maybe not in February.

could buy a transit day pass by marvin (4.00 / 1) #3 Sat Jun 05, 2021 at 12:13:08 AM EST
SkyTrain (light rail) is 20-30 minutes to downtown Vancouver. I love taking the seabus to the north shore, spending an hour at Londsdale Quay, and then returning. There might be a bunch of food trucks a few minutes from Lonsdale too.

Stanley park is not too far from the SkyTrain / Seabus station in downtown Vancouver, and there must be bike rentals somewhere downtown if you wanted to ride around the park. You can go most of the way to UBC just riding along/near the waterfront, if you have an hour or so each way. Steamworks brewing is just east of the station too, I like their beers. Can't remember what the pub food was like.

Richmond is a suburban hellscape of strip malls, light industrial buildings, and condo towers. It is near the airport, and has a huge Chinese population, so the grocery stores are really neat places to visit, maybe if you have free time one evening. I like T&T market, there are likely others. I'd expect Richmond (and Vancouver in general) to be one of the top places in North America fr Asian restaurants. Sushi might as well be the official food of metro Vancouver.

Richmond drivers are legendary. You'll see supercars driven badly by 17 year olds (look for the green N decal on the back). A friend of mine bought and rebuilt a wrecked Audi SUV with something like 5,000km on the odometer. It was the third Audi that particular Richmond driver had destroyed in a year.

Aberdeen Mall in Richmond has a ton of small shops that you won't find elsewhere. Used to have a Daiso, but I think it's a different Japanese dollar store now. The food court was amazing ten years ago, but the incredible takoyaki place was gone when we went back a few years ago.

For tourist experiences in Richmond, Steveston is an old fishing village / boatyard that is a heritage site, but I didn't find it that exciting - I definitely missed seeing stuff, no idea if there is a museum, etc. Other than that, I don't know much about Richmond - it is mostly a place I drive through. The wetlands might be of interest to birders, but not something I know anything about.

I dont know the best bakeries or coffee shops in Richmond, but I could check with friends if you wanted. One uni buddy rides 100km loops through Richmond every week. My favourite in Vancouver is Pure Bread  https://www.purebread.ca/

I will rely on serendipidity by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jun 08, 2021 at 08:27:35 AM EST
for bakeries and coffee, and probably just rely on the free hotel food in the morning. Thanks though.

When it gets closer I will look into transit passes and sites in actual Vancouver.

I just glanced at your title... by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 07, 2021 at 06:42:28 PM EST
And it assembled itself into "Travel time of the Coronavirus". I guess I've been reading too much of the research literature lately.

Time is too strange now for a real plot. --clock

That is probably more interesting than reading the by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jun 08, 2021 at 02:36:44 PM EST
scrapping process.

Is it X branded or non branded?

Is it in any of these budget centers?

Does it show up in this tool that contracts can't use.

Get pictures of serial numbers and weights.

Prepare many forms and spreadsheets. Get many approvals.

Remove toner, and paper

...

Travel in the time of Coronavirus | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)