Print Story How does this thing work again?
Health
By theboz (Mon Jun 28, 2021 at 09:22:00 PM EST) (all tags)
It's been a few years, and it looks like this site is on the way out, so let me post one more time.

Hi.  How's it going for you all?  I'll read through and see so that's a rhetorical question unless you want to add a comment.  Anyway, I hope all of you are well and I'd be curious if there are any other places you all socialize with each other online.  As for me, here's a quick update.

Health

First, the big one.  I almost lost my wife very suddenly around the beginning of the year.  It's been a long road, she's had a surgery, and is doing better now.  However, it was scary, and we're not out of the woodwork yet.  As it's a fairly rare genetic thing, next up is getting kids tested to see if they carry the gene too.  If so, then it's just a matter of worrying.

On a lesser degree, I hadn't seen a dentist in about 15 years.  I got a cavity and went to a dentist.  Apart from the cavity I was fine and just needed a cleaning.  I expected it to be more serious.

As for COVID, I lost two (step) grandfathers, and a few other relatives.  3 of 5 in my immediate family are fully vaccinated and we're just waiting for Pfizer and the government to approve the younger ones and we'll be good to go after that.  I'm tired of all the idiots trying to put my family's life at risk and in-person school will be required in the fall so let's get on with the shots.

Work

I got a promotion last year.  This came with no pay raise and I was not allowed to replace myself because we had layoffs.  Also, because I became management, we were not allowed to telecommute during the pandemic.  We were also the first company downtown to require everyone back in the office earlier this year prior to vaccines being available.  They also didn't give us a bonus, took away our LTI program, no cost of living raise last year, and they stopped 401K matching until earlier this year.

Suffice to say, I hate my company, and we've had very high turnover but I am not being able to find a job elsewhere.  Let me rephrase that -- I probably could find another one that would require me to move, accept a pay cut, and start over again.  I need to develop some new skills or something.

Hobbies

I guess I've been in a bit of a funk, I mostly just ride my bike and play video games.  I'm fairly bored and need to do something else too.  I could play guitar, learn other coding, etc. but I'm a little burnt out.  I'm considering a gym membership to go at lunch while in the office but the one I would go to is like $165/month.

Politics

Orange man bad...but seriously, I have a bad feeling about the future of things in the U.S. so part of my job angst has me looking in other countries too.  I went through with claiming citizenship in Ireland based on my family so I have that all worked out and that should get me access to most of the EU and even the UK if I would like.  In any case, I am not sure that I would make the move at this time but it is in the back of my mind often.

Movies

I recently decided to get caught up on scary movies and just finished all the films in The Conjuring series.  I liked it, and while some were not great overall it's an interesting theme.  That being said, the real life Warrens were full of shit so I just have to accept it all as fiction.

Apart from that, I can't recall anything great that I've watched in the past year.  I did get a cheap projector and set up a big screen in my back yard to watch older movies and will do that again in the fall.  It should be nice to watch the original Ghostbusters on around Halloween.

Conclusion

It was nice seeing what's going on with you all.  Feel free to drop a comment and I'll try to respond.  If there's somewhere else you all talk online let me know.  I've never used Discord before but am fairly familiar with Slack.

< All work and no fun makes anonimouse a dull boy | Cardboard and compost >
How does this thing work again? | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden)
You're a sysadmin type, right? by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 05:06:26 AM EST
There are tons of jobs for that, just maybe not where you are. Anyway, it sounds like your employer is circling the drain, so it's probably time to get ready to eject.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Unfortunately no by theboz (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 04:49:55 PM EST
I used to do that but I became a developer, then supporting third party applications, to now management.  I am looking though, and I'll find something else eventually.
- - - - -
Developer is good, too. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 06:05:56 PM EST
Now, if you had a security clearance...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I've been hesitant for two reasons by theboz (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 09:17:08 PM EST
  1. I assume the government doesn't like telecommuting.
  2. I assume that my dual citizenship or something may cause a problem with the process.

- - - - -
Yeah, both of those are problems. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jun 30, 2021 at 05:11:48 AM EST
Well, telecommuting wouldn't keep you from getting cleared, but unless you have a SCIF in your basement it wouldn't work. Dual citizenship is a definite no go.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

woh. by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 07:57:49 AM EST
Sorry to hear about your wife. Glad she's mostly better.

If you DM me an e-mail address, I can create a slack channel invitation. There's also a mastodon instance that hulver himself created. And (see elsewhere on the page) he's wanting to get out of babysitting ancient creaky scoop code.

Time is too strange now for a real plot. --clock

I'll send a message by theboz (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 04:50:55 PM EST
Out of curiosity, is there any reason for the slack channel vs mastodon, or is there a plan for a unified replacement for the site?
- - - - -
No reason by ana (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 07:09:59 PM EST
It's kind of a tale that grew in the telling. mh had a slack instance, so he created a husi channel. hulver wanted to play with mastodon, so he created hulvr.com. I gather mrgoat wanted to play with discord so... you get the picture. There's also a facebook group.

Hulver recently posted a story asking what we should do, given that husi itself is getting  less and less viable for software reasons. So there might be plans developing but we're not there yet.

Time is too strange now for a real plot. --clock

Good luck exiting the woodwork by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 09:33:32 AM EST
My birdies tell me that Moderna will be applying to extend their EUA down to 8 and above very soon.

That would be great by theboz (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 05:47:41 PM EST
I hope that's accurate, I'm so ready to get past the pandemic.
- - - - -
Tell me you aren’t kidding by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jun 30, 2021 at 07:41:22 AM EST
I desperately want to get my daughter vaccinated

I'm not kidding by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Jul 01, 2021 at 07:56:29 AM EST
But I also don't issue EUAs. I can say that we're anticipating being able to switch to Moderna for our peds patients by August.

birdies by cicero (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Jul 09, 2021 at 09:33:31 PM EST
you're the second person I've heard talk about birdies and vaccinations. I was under the impression pfizer was going to be applying for 2 and up in September

We Ate'nt Dead by hulver (4.00 / 3) #4 Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 09:57:41 AM EST
Not yet.

Good to hear from you, glad your wife is doing better.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Good to see you too by theboz (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 05:50:51 PM EST
I'm glad you've been able to keep this site up and running for so long.  Cheers!
- - - - -
Here and the book of faces by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 10:43:34 AM EST
Good to hear about your wife.

I'm also in a bit of a rut, my evenings are usually spent reading or browsing reddit. But, between my new job responsibilities, keeping up on the house and yard and dinner and dishes, I don't get a lot of free time to pursue other things.

Same here by theboz (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 05:52:43 PM EST
I generally don't get a lot of free time in the evenings and what I do get is sometimes wasted on social media too.
- - - - -
Damn, dude! by clock (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jun 30, 2021 at 07:17:28 AM EST
It's been a million years (give or take)!

I did NOT like that first paragraph. I really hope she's bouncing back and that all is well there. That's a total nightmare and she is just too sweet to have to endure shit like that. Damn.

Yeah. The working life is a nightmare. My entire team is distributed and I WFH 100% of the time. If my company has anything that looks interesting to you, hit me on that linky site and I'll point you in the right direction.

Really good to hear from you, m'dude.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Hi there! by theboz (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Jun 30, 2021 at 09:01:10 PM EST
So on the first paragraph, things are better by far but there's still little things to deal with.  I'll just say that it's actually the part of this post that I wanted to go into the most detail and give the full, long story of it.  However, I don't want to post that much stuff publicly.  Suffice to say it was difficult but we've done the best we can to make things better.  It's also a huge source of angst with my job, because they nearly made me choose between her and my job until I found a loophole.  I would have chosen her with no hesitation once the direction from HR seemed to be going against what we needed.

I appreciate the looking out for jobs, I'll look for you on that site (I don't know if I already have you as a contact or not, I need to clean up my profile there and check it out anyway).  On a side note, I am perfectly fine moving, but it has to be somewhere fairly diverse and not like Oklahoma or North Dakota or something.  We moved out of the house you visited about six years ago and found an amazing neighborhood and my kids made good friends and all that so it would be harder on them if it's not somewhere nice.
- - - - -

Yeah by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jun 30, 2021 at 10:52:45 AM EST
I got an Irish passport too because of Brexit. Nice to have the same options as we previous had, until fucking Brexit, to live and work in other EU countries. Was going to get my son and daughter Irish passports but ancestry applications for an Irish passport are on hold due to Covid,

I don't like the direction of the UK at the moment but don't think its under as much threat politically long term as the US.

U.S. Politics by theboz (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Jun 30, 2021 at 08:53:39 PM EST
I figured it would be boring and preaching to the choir around here but the past four years or so were definitely the inspiration for me, and after early this year and seeing what is going on still I think it's ideal to have a backup plan.
- - - - -
Jorbs by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Jul 02, 2021 at 05:39:05 PM EST
Not sure what your skills are these days, but $BigJapaneseCorp is rolling in dough and hiring like mad.  We even have a small office in Austin.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
$Console5 as a hiring bonus? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Jul 14, 2021 at 09:51:20 AM EST
Maybe I can convince the game design BF to apply, he only has a $Console4, which is sitting at our house.

Twenty_five_year_old bought a GTA for twenty_year_old's birthday for $Console4.

Sadly by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Jul 14, 2021 at 11:11:03 AM EST
Not at the moment.   Supply constraints mean that though employees got one each when it launched, we now have no more access to new ones than anyone else.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I get it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Jul 14, 2021 at 11:46:16 AM EST
maybe later I'll work on your feelings about getting him an internship.

Mind you, I'd rather see him do something else more lucrative and less stressful. I think he has a 4.0, he can probably do much better outside the gaming industry.

FYI by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Jul 14, 2021 at 12:56:34 PM EST
The internship process starts early.  In fact, I have to make my formal request this month, and recruiting starts in a couple months.

Fortunately our group doesn't suffer from a lot of normal game industry problems in regards to pay and stress.  In fact, many I work with fled the real games industry for our group to lower stress, get more stability.

But yeah, the games industry sucks compared to other software development in terms of work/life balance in particular.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

How does this thing work again? | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden)