Print Story On Dating Internet History
By yankeehack (Sun May 23, 2021 at 07:45:31 PM EST) (all tags)
Back on my bullshit.

yh goes on a date.

This weekend I went on a date with someone who helped shape our lives on the early pre-Web Internet, so that was v v cool.

He is v v sweet and nice and super humble and completely as you'd expect someone like that to be. He currently works at $SEARCH. He's a widower and just starting to date again.

We met in SF for brunch. Later I hung out with him and his puppy, and he took me on a tour of the city as he knows it. He showed me so many places in SF from his life and early Internet history and it was v v cool.

He is (apparently) v v smitten with me.

I feel bad, because I'm here and just barely starting to socialize after a very longggg year and a half. And he has a supportive social circle and things to do on the weekends.

Also he really, really wants to attend unofficial Burning Man this year (who can blame him, he's been through hell and back). Me: -_-

< A slight site update
On Dating Internet History | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)
If it's Wozniak... by atreides (4.00 / 3) #1 Sun May 23, 2021 at 08:26:00 PM EST
...get me an autograph?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

she said the internet by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon May 24, 2021 at 11:39:29 AM EST
not the 3 button mouse ..

Widowers can make great partners by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon May 24, 2021 at 08:40:49 AM EST
But they do come with a certain amount of baggage. And not always what you would expect.

Right when I started dating again, I was talking to a widower I happened to be manning a check-in table at an event with. He had recently gotten remarried and he mentioned to me that he thought that in a lot of ways dating a widower was harder for the significant other than for the widower.

I didn't get that then. I get it now.

...

Don't feel bad about the difference in socialization. The world needs all kinds of people.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
Probably not Vint Cerf by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue May 25, 2021 at 10:35:13 AM EST
as his wife was alive a year ago.

someone who helped shape our lives by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue May 25, 2021 at 10:07:03 PM EST
Al Gore.  has to be.  That man shaped my pre-web Internet days, that's for sure.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Er by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed May 26, 2021 at 04:07:31 AM EST
Has he recently moved from Europe?

On Dating Internet History | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)