Print Story WSL2
Software
By ucblockhead (Mon Apr 26, 2021 at 10:51:39 PM EST) (all tags)
Ballmer must be rolling over in his grave.

It is...pretty fucking amazing.

On my Windows machine, I can click on a taskbar icon, and have a terminal running zsh on a fully functional Ubuntu system.   I type 'gvim filename' and run the Windows version of Vim, editing a file on that Linux home directory.  I can type 'code .', and be running an amazing Microsoft IDE, and use that IDE to run Machine Learning programs using the Python/Tensorflow install on that Ubuntu system, with full access to the GPU.   I can copy files back and forth between the two systems as easily as 'cp /mnt/c/Users/Steve/foo .' or just by typing 'explorer.exe .' to have Explorer launch in my Ubuntu home directory.

If you had told me twenty years ago that Windows would someday ship with a fully functional Linux system embedded inside it, I would have told you you were nuts.  As it is...this is enough to pull me from Mac to Windows for the time being as now I can room Doom Eternal and oh-my-zsh on the same machine, seamlessly.

Mac still has a better GUI, but it was always the shell that was the big deal.  Linux...I don't know why you'd ever run Linux on a desktop natively now, as you can get the same thing and have Windows gaming at the same time.

< Welcome to the lion's den | This diary brought to you by the letter C >
WSL2 | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)
Since we do Linux dev here @work by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Apr 27, 2021 at 06:11:29 AM EST
I'll have to see what it will take to get this running on our boxes. Right now we use VirtualBox VMs for Linux work.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

WSL vs. WSL2 by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Apr 27, 2021 at 10:08:34 AM EST
The biggest issue currently with work is that WSL2 still requires the beta preview, which our IT won't let us use.  (Also, you need to get developer previews to get GPU access and GUI support.)  WSL comes with Windows out of the box.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Ah, so we're going to be waiting by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Apr 27, 2021 at 11:50:29 AM EST
For a year or two.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yeah by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Apr 27, 2021 at 01:12:10 PM EST
It's sucky not being able to use this at work.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
waiting for the WSL problem with virutals to fix by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Apr 27, 2021 at 12:04:17 PM EST
can't run virtual box with WSL2 installed :(

Do you *need* virtual box with WSL2 installed? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Apr 27, 2021 at 01:11:51 PM EST
[nt]
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I mean by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 28, 2021 at 01:38:28 PM EST
I could spend a few weeks porting all the stuff we run on linux (it's all oracle stuff) to windows (one group does all their stuff on windows and an EC2 instance), but  boss won't pay for/support that effort :/  so instead we have hugely souped up laptops to run a massive, monolithic linux VM that has everything and the kitchen stink installed on it..

Don't get me started :(

I found that by Herring (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon May 10, 2021 at 09:43:35 AM EST
I ended up having to install VMWare Player then export my VMs from VBox. Because there was stuff in them I needed.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

it is yes by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Apr 27, 2021 at 09:04:29 PM EST
Latest Ubuntu won't upgrade on my install.  Supposedly snapd needs uninstalled though there is also a patch in progress.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
My cypress USB drivers crash windows daily at work by wumpus (4.00 / 0) #10 Sun May 02, 2021 at 11:21:07 AM EST
But that's a pretty obscure bit of hardware (for when you need *lots* of USB ports for hardware testing, and it might be the COM port emulators). Windows 10 might crash more often then annually, but I'm pretty sure that it was the AMD StoreMi system that's wrecked my current Windows 10 partition. That and somehow Windows just wouldn't install onto my NVMe drive and had to go somewhere else (still don't know the boot drive is, NVMe is C:).

Anyone who might leave Windows for Linux that would be stopped by WSL has long since left. The real danger is Chromebooks, and people who wouldn't know win32 from Metro from Linux nor care how they got to their browser to surf, get email, login to facebook.

Wumpus

Crashes once a week by wiredog (4.00 / 0) #12 Mon May 03, 2021 at 06:14:46 AM EST
Usually while Visual Studio is doing a build.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yeah by ucblockhead (4.00 / 0) #13 Mon May 03, 2021 at 12:46:10 PM EST
I can't imagined why I'd ever bother with a Linux Window manager again.  The Windows UI often annoys me, but it isn't the slow, poorly thought-out shit-shows that are Gnome and KDE.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
WSL2 | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)