Print Story Stimmie, vax and just the fax
Working life
By georgeha (Thu Mar 18, 2021 at 12:38:42 PM EST) college, hexity goodness, covid, Baen (all tags)
Plus camping, Baen trouble and less!

Poll: What will you do when you get vaccinated?

Joe adjusted the stimmie, I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw what we got. Dependents count now, we got enough to make up for Mrs. Ha not working for six months.

While it was tempting to squander it on something foolish, it's going to savings and tuition. We even have an emergency fund now, a month and a half's worth.

Mrs. Ha is trying to get hired as an aide to a woman with CP, but the agency she is working through is slow and archaic. They sent her a 42 page PDF, with about 22 pages that needed to be filled out. They didn't provide a mailing address, so we could return them via email or fax. If I had the run of the corporate campus I could probably find a working fax machine, but they're getting rarer and rarer. Her laptop doesn't even have a phone jack, I'm not sure if mine does either.

My work is about the same. One of the smaller monstrosities broke overseas, so I was handed around 60 hours of testing I need to do on a local smaller monstrosity. That might take three weeks, as most of my other duties can only be done by me, as there's no new ink jet monstrosities overseas. Yay, tedious job security.

My birthday was pretty good, I decided to spoil myself with games and toys. We go to the Goodwill clearance center about once a week. We call it the bins, because there's about 80 large 4x8 foot bins full of donated stuff priced to move. It would be hard to buy $10 worth of stuff there without getting a cart. On one trip I was in there for just a few minutes and I saw a quadcopter drone shaped like the Millenium Falcon. I went to look at other stuff, then realized officially licensed Star Wars stuff is usually pretty good. I went back and got it, it even had a charge. The first remote I bought was for the single rotor Falcon drone. I couldn't find just the remote, so I bought a previously enjoyed kit with both the quadcopter drone and remote. The drone I found at the bins works now, as does the new one, two Millenium Falcon drones!

The game I bought was Command and Colors Ancients, which is similar to Battlecry. It's much shorter and simpler than the wargames I played in my youth, but there's something to be said about a game one can play in a few hours, without having to constantly reference the rule book.

My dad has been declining due to Alzheimers, last summer they sold their RV. It was physically too much. We've been keeping the Labor Day at a county park tradition alive, but for the last weekend our $7 Eureka tent got shredded. Mr. Ha would like a teardrop, but they're pricey and we don't have room in the garage for me to make one. I am planning on getting a trailer hitch for the Impreza, maybe we can buy or rent a cheap, light pop-up. Failing that, another tent, maybe even new. We have almost six months to figure something out.

I've mentioned Baen books before, they have a forum called the Bar with most of their authors having a sub-forum. There are also other forums there, ranging from cooking to politics. After January 6th, the Politics forum got ugly, someone on Patreon raised a stink, and the forums have been shut down for over a month.

Mrs. Ha and I have appointments for our first covid vaccinations, on 4/20. I qualified because I'm artificially immuno-suppressed, for Mrs. Ha it was BMI. I'm not sure how we'll celebrate, are there any good holidays around 4/20?

Mrs. Ha wants to get together with Irish_girl, but she's not vaccinated either and isn't very careful. She thinks she had covid earlier, but just how long does immunity last?

My dad has had his two shots, and my mom is scheduled for her first shot in a few weeks. What will you do when you get vaccinated?

< Had the AstraZeneca Vaccine today
Stimmie, vax and just the fax | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden)
Wipo: Haircut, and then a pizza at Rocco's by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Mar 19, 2021 at 05:57:29 AM EST
Tor dot com has blogs and the comment sections there are moderated, keeps the riffraff from causing too much trouble. Also, Tor is very lefty.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Part of the baen problem by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Mar 19, 2021 at 07:08:57 AM EST
was the mods were conservative, and taking part in the unsavory comments.

haircuts by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 19, 2021 at 01:15:01 PM EST
I've been getting better with our Conair clippers, starting with a 5 all over then moving to a 3 on the sides, with my wife fixing my mistakes. That saves $20 a cut.

No celebrations by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Mar 19, 2021 at 08:28:03 AM EST
You'll, of course, have Super-Instant Autism and won't be in the mood to celebrate. Seriously though, one of my daughter's coworkers told her she'd "catch" Autism if she got vaccinated.

Too late by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 19, 2021 at 01:33:43 PM EST
I've suspected I have a touch of austism, and we're pretty sure twenty_four_year_old has a lot.

A crazy high school friend is afraid of getting vaccinated, but that's her decision.

See family! Hugging! by misslake (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Mar 19, 2021 at 09:33:45 AM EST
I just got my first dose. I’m looking forward to visiting my parents and sister. I haven’t seen them since thanksgiving. As a Canadian, that was a long time ago.
I’m also looking forward to going to bars for live music and dancing. But that will be a long time away. Same thing with acro yoga, which I got into a few years ago.
I miss hugs. I never noticed how much I hugged people before.

I miss your acro yoga pics on the book of faces by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Mar 19, 2021 at 01:41:31 PM EST
though sometimes it took a while to figure out how everyone was supporting each other.

I see my folks a few times a month, but with a mask on.

Not yet for my covid vaccination by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Mar 19, 2021 at 09:59:37 AM EST
The UK is vaccinating over 50s now without pre-existing medical conditions but I'm still 49. They were going to start vaccinating 40-49 next month but India has held up a delivery of 5 million doses of AZ and they also need to do 2nd doses in April.

I turn 50 late April so maybe after that. Cases are now pretty low in UK but we've been in lockdown since late December.

I didn't realize you were such a youngin' by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 19, 2021 at 01:51:41 PM EST
My immunologist told me today that my anti-arthritis drug (sulfasalazine) does not suppress my immune system, so I may have made an appointment in error.

Then again, wiki says sulfasalazine is immunosuppressive.

immunity by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Mar 19, 2021 at 05:17:01 PM EST
I think it's 3-4 months.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Vaccines by me0w (4.00 / 1) #11 Mon Mar 22, 2021 at 11:13:05 AM EST
I'm eligible to get vaccinated as I'm a health care worker. However, I'm holing off. I don't feel that I have enough information to make an informed decision about any of the vaccines. I will eventually get vaccinated, but not until I've seen more data.

From everything I've heard by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 05:32:38 AM EST
The vaccines work, at least at preventing serious illness, and the side-effects aren't all that bad. At least as compared to Covid.

I know several people who've had Covid. "Mild" cases that had them laid up for a week or more. I know several people who've had the vaccine and one was laid up for a day with flu-like symptoms.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Everyone has to do what is best for them by me0w (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 05:48:00 AM EST
I'm not saying the vaccines don't work. There is just a lot of missing information that we simply don't have that further testing will give us. I'll feel better about getting a vaccine when I have that information.

What I'd really like to do is have a t-cell test to see if I've already had covid. There is some chit-chat in the medical community that if you've already had covid that it might not be appropriate to vaccinate. With the rate of infection, it's likely that many people have had asymptomatic covid.

aww, but by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 07:36:22 AM EST
don't you want to be part of the world's largest phase 3 trial?!?

but real question: so current vaccines only have emergency authorization, and standard approval will take 2-3 years to get.  will you wait until all the data with standard approval comes out, or is there a vague tipping point where you think it will be OK?

No interest to be in a somewhat unethical trial by me0w (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 08:59:43 AM EST
At this point, I'll wait 2-3 years for the data (covid isn't going anywhere). In Canada, the vaccines are approved for provisional use while pharma continues their studies (the studies are conditions of provisional use). The current data is not publicly available and I'd like to take a look at it.

I'd like to know about long-term effects ... why more adverse events are reported in women ... AZ and the link to blood clots (important for someone who is prone to blood clots) ... Pfizer and the links to pericarditis ... and so on. The argument is that the benefits outweigh the risks - but if we don't know all the risks - how can we make an informed decision?

all totally legit reasons by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 09:06:40 AM EST
btw, did you know a certain someone who steals my covers at night works on the software side of clinical trials?

I've heard that two sets of covers save marriages! by me0w (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 09:22:37 AM EST
I did not know that! I worked in research for many, many years and used statistical analysis software for clinical trials. Perhaps our paths have crossed in a roundabout way!

Last year by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 04:47:37 PM EST
When we “just came to Ohio for a week” and never left, we stole our daughters new mattress and used separate camping blankets.  IT WAS THE BEST EVER!!!!  I stayed covered all night!  And we could snuggle better because the blankets worked as a barrier for my hot flashes

WIPO by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 07:37:29 AM EST
nothing, because until my youngest can get vaccinated our family has to remain in our current lockdown.

WIPO: THe same thing I do every night Pinky by Herring (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue Mar 23, 2021 at 10:47:02 AM EST
I went home and opened a beer

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Stimmie, vax and just the fax | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden)