Print Story Not feelin' it
By yankeehack (Sat Dec 25, 2021 at 05:25:52 PM EST) (all tags)
Simply, just fuck everything.

Christmas is the least of my favorite holidays, for various reasons. In recent years, my aversion to the holiday has only gotten stronger. I'd rather just be on a warm beach than anywhere else with people this time of year.

The past few months has only gotten crazier work-wise, and I wasn't looking forward to adding more BS into my life. I was thinking about just flying to the East Coast for a few days, stay in a hotel, spend a few hours with people and then do something else.

I didn't actually make a decision until last Sunday, after LO asked me for the final final decision. I had managed to find a last minute booster shot late last week after hours of searching online, but the last-minute NY event cancellations had started last weekend. I balked on traveling, saying it would be miserable if we had to isolate while out East. LO got super duper annoyed with me, but came out to see me anyway. We figured we'd go be tourists in CA for a week.

Fast forward to Wednesday, when LO started feeling off with a sore throat. I was lucky enough to have picked up a few rapid tests when I got my booster shot at a dilapidated chain pharmacy. LO took a test and tested positive. (Her last PCR test a few days prior was negative, even though she had multiple classes go remote over the past few months because of COVID.) Goddamn it. We've been isolating as best as we could ever since.

Health wise, LO has just had mild cold symptoms, since she's vaxxed twice. Her boyfriend has been testing daily since she found out (he's with his family) and he's been negative. I tested before LO arrived since I had some RSV-like symptoms and was negative. I'll test again tomorrow for shits and gigs with LO. Suffice it to say, this has been kinda shitty.

I can't begin to tell you how angry I am right now. Between the BS of needing to not show up for the holiday so I wouldn't have to hear the arguments, to the scrambling for rapid tests (LO couldn't find any to take either), to LO and other school teachers not having access to regular testing (LO basically had to beg for the earlier test and get someone to cover her class. She said she isn't able to access the weekly testing dependably.), to our fucking country just deciding that we are over it.

Also, the big kick in the gut, if you haven't had it yet, is that from here on in, you're going to have to assume everyone is infected. I can't begin to imagine spending time in a room of people right now.

What fresh hell will 2022 bring? I don't know.

< Merry Christmas, Ya Filthy Animals!
Not feelin' it | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)
Shit. by atreides (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Dec 26, 2021 at 12:40:36 AM EST
All I can really do is offer you tamales and pie. Want some?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

<3 Thanks n/t by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Dec 26, 2021 at 02:08:55 PM EST

Update 1 by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Dec 26, 2021 at 02:17:04 PM EST
Just took a home test with LO. She's still ringing positive, while my boosted butt is negative.

If you needed a nudge to get a booster shot, this is it. LO has been living with me in my small apartment for over 5 days now.

Spoke with my folks last night who told me that my sister's kids all have Covid too (another thing I feared about holiday visitation). The two younger ones are unable to be vaxxed yet. Apparently the youngest nephew (almost a year and a half old) brought it home from daycare last week. He's been super sick (high fever, rash, etc.), but has not been hospitalized yet.

Today's heart stopping moment by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Dec 26, 2021 at 02:36:18 PM EST
I still get the paper, I liked printed things.

In the obits there was a young woman's picture, Stephanie L., with a mom named J. I read it closer, just a coincidence, or a far flung relative of your ex.

Super-spreader Christmas by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Dec 27, 2021 at 08:41:38 AM EST
If you've made it this far into the pandemic you're going to get exposed in the Omicron wave, unless you're Obi-Wan Kenobi living in a mud hut. The replication numbers are staggering.

To that end we decided, fuck it, we were going ahead with Christmas with my wife's family. All vaxxed and everyone with a comorbidity was boosted. Still, we were expecting fifteen people and twenty-five showed up. Probably would have called it off if I had any idea...

gaming the system by marvin (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Dec 27, 2021 at 09:26:28 PM EST
Rather than taking full precautions only to end up getting it after ICUs are overflowing and critical care is triaged, the smart move might be to have caught omicron as early as possible.

Catching something that transmissible is almost a given, so I'm wondering if only the first ones and the very last (like 3-4 months from now) will get adequate medical attention.

Your chance of going to the ICU by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Dec 28, 2021 at 07:00:37 AM EST
Is close to 0 if you’re vaxxed and boosted.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

close to zero is not zero by marvin (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Dec 28, 2021 at 01:44:29 PM EST
And there is more to it than ICU, as lots of people with covid need oxygen on a medical or respiratory ward. When we had a covid wave last winter, the radiator fins by the oxygen tanks (gas cools as it evaporates from liquid) looked like an ice climbing structure. I recall reading that they were at the limit of how much oxygen could be delivered in the facility. I doubt that anyone thought ahead and heat traced or oversized the equipment over the past 8 months.

So it won't be happy fun times if we have record patient counts. Just because I'm 10x or 50x less likely to need medical care than an antivaxxers doesn't mean I'm happy about having to roll the dice about oxygen being available if I should end up needing it.

yeah, that's the same by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Dec 29, 2021 at 06:05:12 PM EST
that friends and I were spitballing about .. go get it, and get it over with,  but now seems a bit too late ..

Soft lockdown happening in DC area by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Dec 27, 2021 at 03:03:00 PM EST
In Maryland they’re not canceling the AA meetings in various government places, because that would require paying penalties, they’re just not renewing permits. All the permits expire end of the year though…. Other AA meetings in churches are being canceled outright. Plans for events are getting revised daily.

Sunday a week ago no one I knew had Covid. Wednesday at the meeting, 20 people in attendance, everyone knew someone who had it. Thursday the word came that at least one person at the Tuesday meeting had it. Yesterday the big meeting that’s been running 200+/week attendance had about ⅓ of that. Glad I’m off work this week.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Not feelin' it | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)