Print Story When The Going Gets Weird...
By atreides (Mon Nov 01, 2021 at 09:50:46 PM EST) (all tags)
...the weird turn pro.

I have always been...divergent from social norms so I might very well be weird. However, I'm officially about to turn pro. Tomorrow, I'm doing geocaching presentation for a library in Connecticut. The important bit is that they are actually paying me for it. I am about to become a professional geocacher. I rule.

I'm not torn up like I was for four years, but I can't tell you if I've thought of her every day. I'm just numb and resigned, bearing my smile of defeat.

After Thanksgiving lunch, I'm leaving to finish up the state of Arkansas. It'll be my fifth completed state and should keep me in entries through the end of the year and into January. January will be a first. Assuming nothing goes wrong, I'll be flying to Las Vegas (Frontier and Spirit are so amazingly cheap), renting a car, and starting Arizona in earnest. Arizona only has 15 counties, but the seats are so spread out that I can't see it taking less than two days. I'm getting to the point where I'm flying to starting points. I never travel with someone who will share the driving (of two traveling companions, one didn't drive at all, the other insisted on doing all the driving which, while welcome, created other problems) and I can only drive about 10 hours to get to a starting point. At this point, that basically means Kansas/Kansas City, Memphis, or Jackson. As you can imagine, I am more than happy to make Mississippi wait a while. If there's anywhere I'm ambivalent about going, it's Mississippi. One day I'll have to go, possibly in early spring depending on how many counties I can get on the Vegas trip, but not today. Maybe next winter.

As an adjunct, when summer rolls back around, I think I'm going up to the Northeast. Flights into Philly are pretty cheap and if they remain so, well, VT and MA infidels, prepare thyselves!

The Duchess and Despoina are giants. The Duchess is about to celebrate 11 in a month. Where does the time go?

So, I haven't said anything in the last few months, but guess what? I've joined Metformin Club! I had a physical and my blood sugar, which traditionally has been a little high, but not in dangerous way, was a little higher, enough to warrant medication. The first few days of medication made for an epic change so I guess they were on to something. I'm getting old, folks.

Oh, yeah... Next week, I'm going to be part of a panel discussion of the new Dune. A friend of mine is a Herbert scholar and asked me to give a fan perspective. Don't know where she got the idea that I was a fan. :P I've never had the guts to do a Nerd Nite, but everything has a first time somewhere.

So I guess that's it for now. Selah.

< So, You Wanna Learn Quantum Mechanics? | flipping a bit >
When The Going Gets Weird... | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)
professional geocacher by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Nov 02, 2021 at 05:41:02 AM EST
That's pretty cool.

You done Virginia or Maryland yet? Lots of us infidels around here.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I have never set foot in either state... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Nov 02, 2021 at 12:42:50 PM EST
...but give me time. Especially Maryland. I'm going to murder it when I get to DC and thereabouts! And don't think I've forgotten about about you infidels... I'm just thinking I want to go to the top of Maine and start working my way down.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

cachin' by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Nov 02, 2021 at 03:43:34 PM EST
I know of some very good and nice caches in Central PA.  There are a few walkable caches near me in Virginia but I...just can never get into urban caching.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
I'm totally down with the urban thing! by atreides (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Nov 02, 2021 at 06:56:21 PM EST
The city is just a different kind of wilderness.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

true by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Nov 03, 2021 at 11:44:26 AM EST
Though most I have on my 'to-do' are just plain boring.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Good news by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Nov 02, 2021 at 03:28:55 PM EST
Next week, I'm going to be part of a panel discussion of the new Dune.

Yeah, like I heard they were releasing a biopic of your life, right?

Too much made up stuff... by atreides (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Nov 02, 2021 at 06:55:14 PM EST
I started in a city, not an ocean planet. But they did get the knife fights right, so bonus points for them...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Yeah...we're all old. by clock (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Nov 03, 2021 at 03:38:27 PM EST
My doc said something that made me realize that, well, shit's getting real: "You could lose 50 pounds and eat nothing but celery and you'd probably die of malnutrition before we got your cholesterol to a decent number."

I feel you.

This is awesome! I'm very excited that you're getting a chance to do something as cool as that! Well done, good sir!

And yeah... The Dude is 14. DK is 10. What is the world coming to?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Cholesterol etc by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Nov 04, 2021 at 09:57:02 PM EST
My Numbers as they relate to LDL and HDL and all that have always been in the good range and my weight...has always been high.  I think there's a whole lot about those numbers we just don't quite know about from a science perspective.

Some say it's hereditary but at least my Dad had high numbers ( and he was never what I'd call overweight )

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock

It's totally genetics by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Nov 08, 2021 at 11:24:08 AM EST
I have a BMI of around 30 and total cholesterol in the 130-140 range.   That's the highest it has ever been.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
kids by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #12 Tue Nov 23, 2021 at 08:06:03 AM EST
Hah. My oldest is 20 and youngest is a plebe in the Naval Academy. I documented youngest's bump on K5.

Yet it is your children getting older that makes me feel the passing of time.
"I honestly pity the stupid motherfucker who tries to talk down to iGrrrl" - mrgoat

MA is ready by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Nov 23, 2021 at 08:04:32 AM EST
Would be very happy to see you!
When The Going Gets Weird... | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden)