Print Story Random crap
By ucblockhead (Fri Jan 22, 2021 at 04:31:36 PM EST) (all tags)
As always

How project management works:

Step 1: Repeatedly badger everyone for a list of tasks that need to be done
Step 2: Schedule lots of status meetings
Step 3: Ask everyone to manually create a document that lists all of the tasks that are being worked on, copied from project management software, but in a document on confluence
Step 4: Have everyone manually read through the document that they wasted time righting
Step 5: Badger everyone into saying when each task will be complete
Step 6: Tell everyone to make sure "all stakeholders" know when each task is done

Bonus: ensure you have no clue how anything actually works.

It "adds value".

We have scary smart hummingbirds.  We hung a feeder outside our kitchen window so I watch them while doing dishes.  Back when the weather was good and we ate outside, they'd often buzz us while we were eating.

Recently we found a sick bird just outside of our sliding glass doors.  I suspect it hit a window and gave itself a concussion.  We noticed when the cats started having a cow.  I went outside and picked it up.  It flew about six feet straight up erratically then spiraled back down.  That's how we knew it wasn't a broken wing or something.  I picked it up again, and around then two of the hummingbirds noticed, and had a complete fit, buzzing back and forth.  It only abated when I opened my hand and let the let the bird perch on a finger, obviously not trapped.

I moved the bird to a planter, as we've got some neighbor cats that visit.  Sadly, it didn't make it.  My wife found it on the ground the next day.

The neighbor cats are new.  I am pretty sure one is female as our male cat goes bonkers every time she visits.  (Despite being fixed)

I have recently realized that I just hate my career.  I am just completely done with my industry.  I don't like where it's going.  I hate the day to day bullshit that comes with it.  I'm just done with the whole thing.  I actually like the place I work, in theory, at least, the more I look at linkedin, the more I realize that I'm not going to find anything better.

I want out.  I'm not sure what.  If I can push through for around three years, I can blow off the salary and just do whatever the fuck.

< January 20, 2021 | Theory of numbers: Dirichlet series >
Random crap | 10 comments (10 topical, 1 hidden)
Career by lb008d (4.00 / 3) #1 Sat Jan 23, 2021 at 11:38:17 AM EST
I'm in the same place as you. I really like my co-workers, employer and job situation. It's just the work itself that has become stale. Yes, it is a very #fwp type of problem.

I would be done with it but my other, very-part time income as a professional musician has disappeared for the time being. So I'm giving a different employer a try, and negotiated a part-time schedule. We'll see!

Yup by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #2 Sat Jan 23, 2021 at 12:31:10 PM EST
That was the epiphany I had a year or so ago.  I realized that if I didn't dislike the people I worked with or the company I worked for, then changing that, but not what I do for a living, isn't going to help much.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
A good PM by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jan 26, 2021 at 08:51:55 AM EST
gets you to admit when you'll be done, and then holds your feet to the fire to deliver it. (Best PMs I had didn't make anyone write status reports or documents, but sure as hell knew what you said/committed to.. )

I hear you about work.. I sell toilets, hahah. The tech is not exciting or challenging, some coworkers are OK, some are utterly incompetent, but the pay is really good.  I'd like to work on something that scratches the creative+challenging+engineering itch, but those are unicorn jobs.

Tech and products by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 26, 2021 at 10:18:16 PM EST
In my case, the products are cool, and the tech is exciting and...I find myself not caring.

I'm just done with the whole industry.  I think it's the way modern tech works.  These days, the only time I ever feel satisfaction about tech is mucking with my 3d printer or playing Factorio.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I'm disliking my job more and more by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jan 27, 2021 at 01:55:51 PM EST
the project is dwindling, too, so I might be out of this job sooner rather than later.

Ideally, I would keep it another five years, or maybe ten, but that's not my decision.

Hope you have a decent fallback plan by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jan 28, 2021 at 06:13:24 AM EST
Maybe it's time to invest in GameStop?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

No gamestop, or cash to invest in gamestop by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Jan 29, 2021 at 12:55:17 PM EST
I do have some old football cards though. Anybody ever hear of Roger Staubach?

Yes by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Jan 29, 2021 at 02:31:19 PM EST
He made me cry when I was 12.  </ExVikingsFan>
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Can you put a price on the satisfaction of tearing by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jan 29, 2021 at 03:42:18 PM EST
up and burning some '73 and '74 Topps cards?

Random crap | 10 comments (10 topical, 1 hidden)