Print Story Since I can't post it to FB
Food
By lm (Mon Sep 28, 2020 at 11:45:24 AM EST) (all tags)
This is really great if you're vegan and miss ceviche: Hearts of palm fills in for the seafood in this plant-based ceviche.

My only complaint, and it's not even a fair complaint, is that hearts of palm have very low protein content compared to fish or shellfish that you might normally use to make a ceviche.

If you don't have a WP subscription:

Ingredients:

• One (14-ounce) can hearts of palm, drained
  • 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 to 3 lemons)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tomato, stemmed, cored and diced (1 cup)
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced (1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/2 jalapeño chile pepper, stemmed and finely chopped
  • 1 small bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped (1 cup)
  • 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
  • additional salt/pepper to taste
  • Tortilla chips or crackers or whatevs for serving
Step 1

Slice the palm spears into 1/2-inch pieces. Do not worry if some fall apart.

Add the palm hearts to a small or medium bowl. Combine with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss.

Taste, and season with more salt and pepper if needed. It will tasted a bit too salty at this point. As you add the other ingredients, it will balance back out. Cover, refrigerate for 30 to 120 minutes.

Step 2

Add the tomato, avocado, cucumber, jalapeño and cilantro to the bowl with the hearts of palm. Combine carefully.

Step 3

Transfer to a serving platter or bowl, top with the black sesame seeds.

Serve with chips or crackers or whatevs.

< Today is the 27th Day of September | Live nude goats >
Since I can't post it to FB | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)
And they are letting you buy a home in Baltimore? by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Sep 28, 2020 at 01:44:36 PM EST
I'd assume any "seafood substitutes" posting will get you into more trouble than the time the Secret Service came by asking questions.

Wumpus

I already own a home in Baltimore by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Sep 28, 2020 at 02:59:13 PM EST
Even the Chesapeake Bay has vegans.

That said, I told my fiancee and her daughters that I hated Old Bay.

I was persona non grata for weeks.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
vegan ceviche by misslake (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Oct 03, 2020 at 07:24:36 PM EST
i've made it with oyster mushrooms, to good effect. i can't imagine it with hearts of palm. never having eaten the original, i don't have a very well informed opinion, but the marinated mushrooms certainly seemed like what fish might be like!

I would dig that by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Oct 04, 2020 at 06:27:17 PM EST
But I'm in a house of 4 where 3 out of the 4 inhabitants think they don't like mushrooms.

I aim to disabuse them of that notion, but it will take time, tact, and gentleness.

I can't imagine a life without mushrooms.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
I have yet to try it by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Oct 05, 2020 at 05:49:00 AM EST
But I have a tinned banana blossom in my cupboard, which apparently is a great taste-and-texture analogue for white fish for fish and chips.

It's no nutritional substitute, of course, but I really to need to cross that bridge, and get round to trying it.

That's my largest problem with this sort of recipe by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Oct 05, 2020 at 08:22:41 AM EST
It's relatively easy to get pleasing taste and texture from plant substitutes.

It's also relatively easy to get nutritional parity with fleshmeat from plant substitutes.

Getting both pleasing taste/texture and nutritional parity is a hard thing when trying to replace meat in a specific recipe. It's not that hard for a diet in general. But if trying to replicate a recipe that usually takes an animal protein, it can be difficult.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
Since I can't post it to FB | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)