Print Story Tutti Frutti
Zombies
By LoppEar (Mon Aug 31, 2020 at 01:38:26 PM EST) (all tags)
My daughter has a slowly-changing playlist, mostly classic kid songs, some novelty kids songs (Lisa Loeb's Silly Songs surprisingly resilient, that we mostly listen to in the car. And somehow Little Richard's "Tutti Frutti" and Toto's "Africa" are the two 'real' hits... wearing on me now in repetition.

Life and Covid inside.

Let's see. Still in isolation here, but driving the kid over to her grandparents a couple times a week, which she loves even more now that one of her daycare friends from two years ago moved in two doors down there. Bikes in the cul-de-sac. Three year olds in masks and having fun outdoors!

I ran the numbers on our home budget last month, hoping to find a new basline normal for what we're spending with not traveling and not eating out and... basically no, a couple trips across town for grandparents is the same as wife's commute costs, and groceries has expanded to cover the difference. It's ok.

Still doing better than a whole lot of people, while campus reopened a few weeks ago for in-person classes (and has been leading the nation for positive cases among students for that head start), wife was among a small percentage who were given health-or-age-related exemptions to teach all semester online, so our endless distancing continues only slightly varied from last month and the month before and... our privilege is profound, and the solidarity with everyone working at risk, from grocery store to college is harder to make connections through as everyone's stress bounds back and forth outside of our collective dis-involvement.

Sent off a bunch of emails today to local folks and local politics, pushing through months of anxious delay to say hi and find some ways to connect and act. (Thanks R343L for the kick.) I've maintained my cadence of chatting with virtual and remote friends and family through the months here, but it turns out that has been at the expense of not bringing locals into a steady phone/virtual pattern, even while acknowledging this isn't going away some part of me was still saying "ah, I'll see them soon though".

So why not have a get together in our back yard or at a local park? We're dipping our toes in that with the grandparent's neighbors, and probably overly hesitant, but let's list off my fears that are keeping us so isolated.

1. Georgia remains on a slow burn of widespread community transmission. We have just started to decline from our second peak of cases, and with the college our rural county is currently at 1% of total pop infected in the last two weeks.
  2. Because we chose to include the grandparents in our bubble, we've got three at-risk folks in with us. Being fairly fanatical about not getting this at all still, curbside for all our shopping etc.
  3. Burned by not being able to articulate shared protective measures - earlier on in the summer I visited a friend here for a drink on the back porch, it was good to see him but jarring to hear he was grocery shopping 3 days a week and was going to visit friends in FL the following week. He asked if he could come over the week he got back from FL and basically I've been weirded out over how much to interrogate folks about their activities.
  4. Our city parks basically don't have public bathrooms. So it's our house or theirs.
Comforted by the trend on "amount of time indoors, depending on ventilation and proximity and activity", I expect we'll try some  yard gatherings where we accept that each other might use the bathroom but we're not going to let that slide into congregating inside and the kids who can't help but run into each other will wear masks and... it's still just super depressing, basically. Hopefully the temperatures start cooling off sooner in the evening, and the cases keep dropping, but also constantly feel like it's not quite time to be letting up our guard.

I'd be remiss not to mention that Kenosha nearly broke my spirit this last week. Mostly numb as I stare into the next few months of escalation.

Be well all, I've still got some capacity to care and to carry and you all are on the list!

< Fancy Plans... | What's been going on with me >
Tutti Frutti | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden)
Other people by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Aug 31, 2020 at 04:29:14 PM EST
We skipped a funeral wake because the deceased granddaughter (my wife's cousin) was coming in from a NY Bad List state and refused to observe quarantine because, "they are basically quarantining at home anyway". Her husband works full-time at Target.

It's hard by LoppEar (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Sep 01, 2020 at 07:51:34 PM EST
to balance the importance of making more solid connections with folks right now and the fact that so many other people are wrong.

yeah by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Aug 31, 2020 at 08:20:09 PM EST
I could go visit family and friends, none as far as I know are doing any sort of 2 week isolation after being out and about.  So I'd not get then infected. But, well  that leaves me to get sick, and I'd much rather not.  That said, I'm probably going home for Christmas.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
better to avoid the question by LoppEar (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Sep 01, 2020 at 07:54:28 PM EST
we were very close to making the legit 2-week quarantine on both ends of the trip go for seeing one set of folks over the summer, but the window quickly narrowed on having enough time with them to make that make sense, and it probably never made sense.

my parents will almost certainly be willing to do whatever testing-modulated version of that is warranted by december for the holidays, yep.

Life, Covid, Caring by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Aug 31, 2020 at 10:04:14 PM EST
We visited my in-laws a couple weekends ago. We’ve been careful and the in-laws live somewhere with nearly no virus, so we were maskless but it felt profoundly weird. I spent as much time on their 3-season porch as I could (large space, good ventilation - lovely weather). I tried not to flinch too hard when someone passed nearby. I’m starting to develop a reflex like one of those fancy cars with proximity sensors - a faint bonging in my chest when someone gets within the 6-foot perimeter. To be honest it wouldn’t be a terrible idea to make clothing with that feature. I’d fund that kickstarter.

"Plans aren't check lists, they are loose frameworks for what's going to go wrong." -- technician
I made a lot of masks for family here by LoppEar (4.00 / 2) #9 Tue Sep 01, 2020 at 07:56:44 PM EST
but I did not make any clothing with pool noodles attached to it. how about an auto-erecting-on-proximity extra-large tutu?

Yeah. by clock (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Sep 01, 2020 at 11:51:58 AM EST
We're back to school now. Well, the kids don't leave the house, but they're in school. Today's the first day. DK is optimistic and that's great!

I'm trying to get on the water as much as I can. And with fall here (practically) my reading will ramp up again.

We think about you frequently!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

good good by LoppEar (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Sep 01, 2020 at 08:01:09 PM EST
Glad first days are are off to a start! I think it's true I haven't connected with anyone who has school age kids who are doing in-person, but that's centrally related to the selective connecting of my whinge.

I have a long list of satisfying but mundane tasks for the fall here, 100k service on our car and exterior paint touchup and whatnot, but as hunting season closes the woods around us, I'll wish I had prioritized a kayak for yet another year.

Same. Be well.

Nineteen_year_old and her bf are back on campus by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Sep 01, 2020 at 04:41:48 PM EST
in an apartment with a roommate and a kitten. RIT seems to be handling coronavirus fairly well, with  incoming students having to take a test, and students from some states having to quarantine for two weeks.

I'm hoping they can stay there. He's a good kid, but our house gets small with five adults in it.

On campus by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Sep 01, 2020 at 07:16:06 PM EST
My 19-year-old niece is distance learning from her dorm.  I'm not sure how that makes sense, but whatever.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
The uni gets money by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Sep 02, 2020 at 09:23:51 AM EST
and the dorm floor probably has it's own slack or discord channel, so the kids can get to know each other that way.

Can you play quarters over Zoom?

My neice by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #14 Wed Sep 02, 2020 at 03:38:47 PM EST
I am sure she is a pristine little flower who spends her evenings studying quietly before going to bed at a reasonable hour.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
here's hoping by LoppEar (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Sep 01, 2020 at 08:03:08 PM EST
the appeal of normalcy is obvious, barely worth stating! I know we'll have been counting down for 18 years to where you are now. What a year.

Was on a business trip Monday and Tuesday by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Sep 02, 2020 at 07:42:52 AM EST
Wore masks everywhere except when eating. Since it was a business trip that meant eating in restaurants. But everyone in the area seemed to be wearing masks. Helps that everyone in the area is affiliated with Pax River and the military is taking this seriously.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Tutti Frutti | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden)