Print Story Angels come in various sizes.
By ObviousTroll (Wed Jun 17, 2020 at 07:22:26 AM EST) (all tags)
This is something I wrote a few years ago, but I found it today and it reminded me of one of the reasons I love cycling so much

Sometimes they're beautiful, sometimes they're terrifying, sometimes it's an 80-year-old cyclist named Bobby.

It's been a crappy year. 6 months into it and the hits just keep on coming, you know?

So, I've been leaving work early and riding my bike and sulking, not necessarily in that order or even one at a time. Today I rolled up to a picnic table next to the dog park to enjoy some quality sulking and sunshine when I noticed someone else was aiming for the same table, so I diverted and went to a further table. After I hopped off the bike I looked back and watched as the other rider carefully used the table to lever himself off his bike, slowly settled onto a bench and inspected his bike, looking for trouble. I walked back over and asked him if his bike was okay.

Turns out he was just getting back into cycling after many years of caring for his wife who had recently passed away. Grinning from ear to ear he told me about how he had picked out the bike, all the problems he had understanding presta valves, disc brakes and wal-mart bikes versus bike shop bikes, and he grilled me about how the trails had changed since he'd last been riding and which trails were paved and which were okay for his new tires, and we talked about how kind people are on the trail, helping him out when he'd had a flat and not taking any money, and how Christian everyone was and how he used to do 50 mile rides but right now 6 and a half was his daily routine.

We talked for 20 minutes and when I told him I had to go we traded names and he hit me with a handshake a wrestler would be proud of and I went on my way thinking about how much lighter I felt for having spent those 20 minutes with him.

I hope he felt the same way.
< Feel my heart beat | Duck duck duck duck duck >
Angels come in various sizes. | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)
This is one of the things I miss by miserere (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Jun 17, 2020 at 11:18:14 AM EST
in the covid times - those random conversations with strangers about random things. The opportunities for that are much fewer than they used to be, and pretty much all contact that I've had with the outside world has needed to be intentional, rather than serendipitous.

I'm glad it was a good experience!

Your good deed for the day by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Jun 17, 2020 at 12:46:35 PM EST
maybe even the week.

Bike supplies are getting short. Mrs. Ha wanted a new helmet to roller skate with, no luck at Target, we had to go to mega Walmart. There were only two adult size helmets left.

It makes sense but I was stunned. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jun 17, 2020 at 01:06:24 PM EST
When the lockdown began I was worried my local bike shop would go out of business, and I think they were, too. The exact opposite has happened.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
It's crazy here in CA by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jun 17, 2020 at 03:37:33 PM EST
The shops are sold out of everything and the mechanics are booking out months in advance for anything more complicated than a flat fix.

Not quite that bad in NoVa by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Jun 18, 2020 at 06:23:23 AM EST
About a week's wait for repairs, and orders for new bikes take about 6 weeks. Parts are generally available within a couple of days, although the more popular brands may have shortages.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Angels come in various sizes. | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)