Print Story grades done, now i just have to write
Cars
By gzt (Wed May 13, 2020 at 12:34:51 AM EST) gzt, emacs, org mode, org-roam (all tags)
have a presentation thursday, just a slight update to an old presentation on a project I hate and think is bad work. To be precise, I did good work, but it's a bad idea and the results are bad and you should feel bad. And it's to an interdisciplinary group.

This is not impostor syndrome, I have work that I think is good on ideas that I think are good. I'd rather talk about those. But that's not what I'm talking about.

A lesson I would tell past me: don't work on things that you think are bad ideas even if other people think they're good ideas. You might be right, though if you're not right, you might not give it a fair shake, either. Whatever the case, if you fail, fail fast.

I've started using org-roam to take notes on papers and ideas. It's okay. I was already using org-mode to track deadlines and projects (not a power-user by any means) because I was already in emacs for LaTeX and C stuff (and increasing doing my R in there). org-roam is essentially trying to replicate Roam Research in org-mode - https://roamresearch.com/ - basically a way to connect notes together and possibly include backlinks and bibliography stuff. With easy search. So, souped-up annotated bibliography. Which is something I need right now as I'm writing. But I'm also doing it to capture notes about non-work reading.

I've been running a fair bit lately. Basically 3 days a week I go ~3 miles, one day I go longer, but I've decided to get a streak going, so on the other days I go ~15 min. I am doing the streak because if I do a long enough one, I get an achievement on a site I'm trying to rack up achievements on, smashrun. I'm halfway to 50 days! If you run and want to give it a whirl, here's an invitation link:  https://smashrun.com/gz.thompson/invite (I'm trying to get the "invite a friend" achievement).

Grades turned in. I think students had a lot of trouble with the sudden shift to online. I know instructors did. No further discussion of that because of FERPA. Anyway, I commend my students for trying their best in these tough circumstances and working with us.

Despite moving more of my stuff into emacs, I want to make clear I'm not at all religious about this: it's just that it's good for LaTeX and the occasional C I use, and then it just started accumulating more of my stuff because I basically live in text right now. It's also solid for R and the tool everybody uses, R Studio, which is really a nice IDE, sometimes borks up on my computer.

Had a bit of a worry this morning - woke up a little sub-optimal on the breathing. Is it the beginning of the end? I think in the end it was just allergies/asthma acting up. Running went fine today, here I am at the end of the day no worse. I'd expect either one of those to deteriorate somewhat if things were bad.

But if I do get it: damn you, Kim, and damn you, youths who were walking around in groups in the grocery store without masks.

< Goddamn it
grades done, now i just have to write | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)
other: by gzt (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed May 13, 2020 at 12:39:49 AM EST
might pull the trigger and stop drinking until the virus is over. I mean, I don't drink that much, but I can't do self checkout with booze and waiting in line and going through the checkout is the #1 source of virus danger for me right now. And if you're going only once or twice a week... So streamlining this will greatly reduce my exposure.

NY liquor stores are allowed to deliver by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed May 13, 2020 at 08:46:59 AM EST
but for beer you have to go to a grocery store, or convenience store, or gas station.

Mrs. Ha sees 400+ strangers a week, I figure that overwhelms most of my other risk factors.

all the self checkouts here by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed May 13, 2020 at 09:16:31 AM EST
now have a full time person staffed next to them.. Mainly b/c people are stupid friggen morons who can't figure it out .. but also to quickly clear the booze purchases..

(and the stupid machine "unexpected item in the bagging area!"  "please move your purchase to the bagging area to continue" .. ugh.. )

booze by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed May 13, 2020 at 06:05:35 PM EST
I get mine via a restaurant the delivers.  Amazon also will deliver but as far as I know they still scan your ID and I just want zero interactions with humans.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
eMacs? by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed May 13, 2020 at 01:46:15 AM EST
Tabs or spaces?

"I drank what?" - <a href="http://uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Socrates">Socrates</a&gt after drinking the Conium
spaces by gzt (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed May 13, 2020 at 02:39:59 AM EST

vi! emacs! by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed May 13, 2020 at 06:31:28 AM EST
Visual Studio Code!

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

editors by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed May 13, 2020 at 09:15:18 AM EST
well, ATOM is a great, multi-platform editor (and if you do any web work, yaml/devops stuff, etc, the real standard)

Running, I need new shoes, but no stores are open.. (And you don't buy new running shoes w/o trying them on .. ). Bah.. I do 2 or 3  5k runs a week, about what you do.. Really missing the gym, though -- no weights in over 2 months.. pushups and situps don't quite cut it.

Is the project you hate the one you keep posting "which image is best, which is worst ?" link ? hahah

No, that's a different project I think is bad by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed May 13, 2020 at 12:42:01 PM EST
But that's done

I recognise by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed May 13, 2020 at 09:18:19 AM EST
the “no, this is actually bad, don't try to tell me it's good” thing. It's so annoying, because it keeps people from giving you the validation that you made a bad choice getting involved in the first place.

And man, people who won't accept you saying you made a bad choice is frustrating.

grades done, now i just have to write | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)