Print Story What a day
By lm (Wed Feb 26, 2020 at 11:52:03 PM EST) (all tags)
Victory

Stress

Happiness

Despair

Peace

Other

Victory

When last I wrote about the accident I was in in 2016, I was shortly told "don't talk about it online anymore". Turns out lawyers (Giuliani excepted if you consider him to still be a lawyer) advise clients to not say anything about ongoing cases.

For years later, I had a verdict and an award. This is three years and 11 months after the insurance company told me that Maryland's 100% contributory negligence bullshit meant that I couldn't collect on a claim over their client causing a collision.

When waiting outside the court building for the doors to open I noticed a lawyer just standing there. He seemed to ooze sleaze. Once the doors opened and I went inside, this sleaze oozery approached my lawyer for a conference. Turns out Mr. Sleaze was the attorney for the opposing side.

A settlement offer was made. This offer was less than the medical costs alone. It was ignored.

I won the docket lottery. Once cases were divided into "preliminary motions", "no one showed up", and "we're gonna do this bitch" piles, my case was pulled first.

After that, I won on the merits. That is to say none of the facts over which there was controversy were relevant. The statutes alone proved my case. Namely, cars have to yield to bicycles in a bike lane.

The best part of the trial was the judge bringin out the Maryland Revised Code to the defendant's attorney and asking point blank "how do you get around this?"

Short answer: he didn't.

After damages were awarded, the judge called my attorney and the defendant's attorney up to the bench. Turns out he had written on his memo pad before the case started that I was sure to lose because I was going to claim that the car hit me instead of me hitting the car.

I didn't. My claim was that the motorist should have seen me and not turned in such a fashion that I ran into the car.

If the case had gone to the facts I think I still would have won. The motorist claimed that she had passed me when she was going 30 or 35mph about a quarter mile before the intersection and that she had slowed down about 5mph to make the turn and at that point I had caught up to her and collided with her car.

Stress

This week was my first week of going salary at my employer. Today I worked extra hours, probably, because a coding error in some new development breaks SQL Server.

Three hours of conference call between me, my boss, the web management guy, and the web developer later, we figured it out. Probably.

Happiness

Bike shop emailed to say that my frame is now completely finished and the frame company is shipping it.

Fully built bike should be ready by mid-March.

Despair

I forgot that tomorrow was an important day and made plans not involving someone very special to me.

I fucked up.

Peace

Yeah, I gots it.

Other

I've been living without hot water, heat, or a working stove for a week. It sucks.

< To The Emperor! | Wraith of God stuff >
What a day | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)
without hot water, heat, or a working stove by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Feb 27, 2020 at 06:24:58 AM EST
I managed to arrange to have that happen in the summer.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

That's better timing by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Mar 02, 2020 at 12:15:55 PM EST
No hot showers still isn't much fun though.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
Civil suits by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 28, 2020 at 12:52:06 AM EST
cyclists do have right of way. Unless you ran a red light right of way should have been yours.

I've seen bad bicycle accidents where an ambulance was called and the rider was bleeding out because he got ran over. I'm glad that wasn't you.

I used to work for lawyers, they have reality warping powers to change facts and events. Using Photoshop, paying off witnesses to testify in favor of their client, etc. Sounds like Mr. Sleeze there.

Sorry to hear you live without hot water, heat, or a working stove. Do you at least have electricity? Where you can buy an electric blanket?

"I drank what?" - <a href="http://uncyclopedia.co/wiki/Socrates">Socrates</a&gt after drinking the Conium
Where did your heat go? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Feb 29, 2020 at 08:01:29 PM EST
Glad your accident is finally resolved. Catching a right or left hook is a frequent nightmare of mine. My brother ended up breaking his thigh when a truck made a left across his path. 10 years later he still has pain and stiffness.

What kind of bike are you getting?

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Two weeks ago ... by lm (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Mar 02, 2020 at 12:15:11 PM EST
... the local utility company apparently had replacing the gas main on its schedule. They took the old one out but didn't put a new one in. Landlord has since put in an electric hot water heater (Thursday) and an electric range (Saturday). Still no central heating.

I'd be more upset but it looks like I'm going to buy a house.

As for the bike, I'm having a triathlon bike with a custom bamboo/carbon frame by Calfee Design built.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
What a day | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)