Print Story Eve of Destruction
By jimgon (Mon Nov 02, 2020 at 06:27:09 PM EST) (all tags)
The eastern world, it is explodin',
Violence flarin', bullets loadin',
You're old enough to kill but not for votin',
You don't believe in war, but what's that gun you're totin',
And even the Jordan river has bodies floatin',
But you tell me over and over and over again my friend,
Ah, you don't believe we're on the eve of destruction

Tomorrow is the US election. Time to be on record with predictions. Biden will win more than 300 electoral votes. The Democrats will win a majority in the Senate (52-48). The Democrats will expand their majority in the House of Representatives.

In personal news I had my property surveyed. I didn’t know the property line and didn’t much care, but I was told by a previous neighbor it was irregular, My neighbor of two years decided to start maintaining a piece of property that is not easily accessible to him and that I’ve been maintaining. So I decided it made sense to get a proper survey and see the lay of the land. He was correct about that bit of property and it is his. However turns that the irregular property line was in the back of the property. There’s an isosceles triangle of yard outside my fence and juts into what I thought was the neighbors yard by about fifteen feet, Its a sizable piece of yard and the corner of his shed is over the property line. I really don’t care. But I’m going to have to take to him about it when I get a chance. I also seem to own a piece of the road and I’m thinking of putting in a toll booth.

Standard time has asserted itself. Massachusetts is east enough that sunset is now 4:39pm and I forgot how much I hate that, I would prefer a later sunrise rather than an early sunset.

< loitering around | Anyone know anything about marketing myself online? >
Eve of Destruction | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)
I hate the early sunset but... by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Nov 02, 2020 at 08:13:56 PM EST
Having the 7:30 and 8:30 meetings move to 6:30 and 7:30 rocks
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
My mom once had a neighbor complain ... by lm (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Nov 03, 2020 at 11:42:54 AM EST
... about property lines.

I was sixteen, moved into a newly built house in a new subdivision, out cutting grass. The neighbor came over and thanked me for cutting his grass. I told my mom. She and her partner went out to talk to the neighbor. He went into his house and brought out a survey he'd commissioned to show us all that I'd been cutting grass on his side of the property line.

The survey not only showed that the land belonged to my mother and her partner but pointed out that his driveway encroached on her property. He didn't believe his own survey.

Eventually several neighbors all banded together to get a large survey done of the whole block. Same results.

People can get twitchy about property lines.

Kindness is an act of rebellion.
I talked to him by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Nov 03, 2020 at 02:38:35 PM EST
I explained the survey was just me wondering where the property line was and that I have no issue with the shed nor do I want to mow the area outside the fence, I think he was worried I was going to be a jerk. I’m just happy my fence is on my property which is what I was worried about. I gave him the contact info for my surveyor and suggested if he had any concerns to hire someone. I think we’re good. I was happier two days ago though.

---------------
careful by marvin (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Nov 03, 2020 at 03:32:37 PM EST
There is some ancient common law stuff  about adverse possession (squatting). Not sure how it works if you are aware and authorize it, but I'm not a lawyer.

every jurisdiction does it differently by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Nov 09, 2020 at 08:26:15 PM EST
so it gets really finicky.

you do have to get twitchy by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Nov 09, 2020 at 08:25:27 PM EST
otherwise adverse possession means you can lose your property.

Eve of Destruction | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)