Print Story New car, new job
By jump the ladder (Thu Dec 05, 2019 at 10:10:56 AM EST) (all tags)
Things are going well on the iOS contracting front. Have a new contract at $UKIanNationalFlagCarrier airline, to work on their main app. Still have to have that conversation about the dreaded IR35 situation. It's nice number, not too stresful but the only bummer being having to drive down to client site near Heathrow airport via the world's largest car park, the dreaded M25.

Poll: who to vote for in the UK General Election?

Family

How time has flown by, my daughter is now 8 and is doing well. Pretty sporty and does Judo, gymnastics and swimming. Generally a nice kid and fairly good academically but can be a bit shy. Have a better relationship with my wife these days but it's still a bit up and down.

Car

Bought a new car, a Skoda Karoq which is similar to the other Volkswagen Group smallish crossovers such as the VW Tiguan and Seat Ateca. Drives nicely, is very comfortable and spacious. Not a diesel because the wind is blowing against diesels in the UK and Europe with talk of diesel bans.

Politics

Where I live, the Liberal Democrats are the main challengers to the Tories and have a good chance of winning the seat so I guess I'm voting for them especially as my local MP is member of the pro hard  Brexit  group, the ERG. Don't like the other two main parties for different reasons so my best hope is a hung parliament with both Labour and Tories,losing seats but with a more Remain tilt. Most likely is a Tory majority though so have an Irish (EU) passport. as back up

< Two cars, three people, four good arms | Well fuck that and the horse it rode in on. >
New car, new job | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden)
WIPO: Prince Andrew by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #1 Thu Dec 05, 2019 at 03:00:39 PM EST
He's well known for his outreach to youth.

Very much hands on by jump the ladder (4.00 / 2) #2 Thu Dec 05, 2019 at 04:12:52 PM EST
On getting grips with the young

Well by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Dec 05, 2019 at 05:45:35 PM EST
I have this fantasy that the whole Brexit thing will be stopped in its tracks. Or that the UK will fracture over it afterwards.

I feel like Brexit will be the economic shock that sends the world into recession.  the UK will be, that's for sure.

Brexit by Orion Blastar (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Dec 06, 2019 at 01:35:38 AM EST
Brexit will allow the UK to elect their own version of Donald Trump to office to fix things. It happened during the recession with Obama and Liberal congress. People who voted for Trump, not all of them are racists some of them want better insurance or a better economy.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
EU passport by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Dec 08, 2019 at 09:04:19 AM EST
I wish I had some way of ensuring that I could continue to have an EU passport.

I have traced my family back to a French ancestor on my mothers side, but unfortunately he came over in 1066.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Conservatives at 64% in my constituency by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Dec 08, 2019 at 09:06:44 AM EST
...so I'm not wasting my time voting against them

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
If the Tories can lose Kensington by Dr Thrustgood (4.00 / 2) #7 Sun Dec 08, 2019 at 04:49:51 PM EST
They can lose anywhere. 20 votes in it last time.

Kensington!

Rural shire counties seats well away from London by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Dec 09, 2019 at 04:07:40 AM EST
Not a chance. Yes, half a chance in places like St Albans and Guilford in the London Commuter belt.

It's never a waste of time by Oberon (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Dec 12, 2019 at 05:57:49 AM EST
Constituencies do change over time. If there's a bigger vote for the next party down this time, it'll encourage more people to come out in the next election, and so on.

(I'd prefer changing the electoral system to something sensible but that's never been on offer ....)

How now, mad spirit?
Waste of time by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Dec 16, 2019 at 02:22:45 PM EST
Conservatives: 37,000 votes
Labour: 11,000 votes
Lib Dem: 7,000 votes - which I would have added one.
Green: 2400 votes

I rest my case

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Not a waste of time voting where I live by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Dec 23, 2019 at 12:30:26 PM EST
Was a Tory held seats, now Lib-Dem. Unfortunately makes no difference to the election outcome.

Skoda by Herring (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Dec 09, 2019 at 02:48:24 PM EST
I went with one after having had an A4 that went to 240K miles with the only actual breakdown being the spring going in a belt tensioner (sadly the one that drove the power-steering pump).

Sure, the fit and finish isn't Audi, but it's been good so far. It's a petrol Octavia estate that uses the same 1.8L turbo unit that the TT has. Which means (and yes, I am that childish) that it's enough to out-drag 2L Merc/BMW/Audis from the lights. Thinking of getting it chipped though.

The major disappointment is that the radio doesn't get long wave. Which is important when the cricket is on.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Fit and finish by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Dec 10, 2019 at 06:37:15 AM EST
Well I had a 10 year old Peugeot 308 and the Skoda is like a Merc compared to that in terms of interior finish. It's not bad at all and comparing to the equivalent VW is pretty similar but slightly more hard plastics.

VAG is pretty much set up like GM, with Skoda and Seat being the value brands, VW being the "Buick" and Audi the "Caddy".

New car, new job | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden)