Print Story Two cars, three people, four good arms
Family
By georgeha (Wed Dec 04, 2019 at 11:52:07 AM EST) Subaru, one handed, kitten (all tags)
It's been rough.

Plus, a new kitten, turning 50 in New Orleans and less.

In my previous entry, I mentioned that twenty_three_year old needed a new car. She never found her unicorn (reliable Subaru in good shape for under $6000) so when she got back from a three week vacation in North Carolina with her college friend, she decided to aim higher. She went to CarMax and got a 2012 Impreza in the waning weeks of October.

Three weeks later she was hit by a driver coming out of an alley, and we've been back to two cars.
It should all be paid for by the at fault driver's insurance, but she's been not aggressive at following up on everyone. Maybe she will get it back by the end of the week.

Actually, we're down to one car, the Forester started acting up Monday and is in the shop. It might be the voltage regulator, might be gremlins.

It sucks to be a one car family.

Sometime in October twenty_three_year_old fell on her wrist, and it was painful for a long time. Here's a Life Hack, go to an Urgent Care while the local football team is playing, no lines.

The XRays were inconclusive, so she was in and out of casts for a long time. She can drive, but had trouble doing things that required two good arms, like cleaning litter boxes.

Did I mention we have a new kitten? On a walk in September we saw something between the sidewalk and street that looked like roadkill. Mrs. Ha got closer, and it meowed! It was a black and white kitten under two pounds.

Now she's up to four pounds. The older long haired female seems to enjoy her company, even.

My youngest sister in law decided to celebrate her 50th in New Orleans in early November. We were invited, but we couldn't go. Her daughter went of course, but they needed someone to watch her granddaughter, so the sister in law asked Mrs. Ha, and Mrs. Ha said she needed twenty_three_year_old's help.

It was a fiasco. They brought her here one night, because twenty_three_year_old had swim lessons she had to teach. She likes to get up early, one morning I left our bedroom at 7:10 to start my day, and she was standing there, ready to go. I had to work and babysit simultaneously, until other people got up.

Her apartment back in Buffalo had no heat, and abusive neighbors. When they were ready to hand her off on Saturday to a brother in law at the youngest sister's house, the youngest sister got snippy in the phone. She might have been hungover.

Anyhow, Mrs. Ha took that as a sign to leave quickly, and rather than figure out their security keypad, she hit the garage door button and tried to Indiana Jones it. Mrs. Ha got out, but had trouble stopping, as duck boots aren't made for running. She ended up using the driveway to stop, by landing on her left arm.

Many hours and an Urgent Care and Erie County Medical Center later, she was diagnosed with a broken and chipped bone in her left hand.

It's scary to realize just how much you need both hands. even if the cast leaves the fingertips free, it's hard to open jars and cans. It's hard to pour wine. You can't knit, it's hard to buckle a seat belt when you're riding shotgun.

She did get disability, for about half of what she was bringing in. The slide to poverty continues.

To summarize, for most of November we've been back to two cars, and I have had to act as nursemaid a lot, while still working full time and dealing with leaves and snow and cats.

On the positive side, eighteen_year_old loves college and has a tall (6' 3") boyfriend from New Orleans.

< So | New car, new job >
Two cars, three people, four good arms | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden)
Ouch. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Dec 04, 2019 at 02:20:45 PM EST
 Congrats on the cat, sorry about the damaged wrist and chipped hand. Hope twenty_three_year_old gets her car back soon!

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
She got a check for $3400 yesterday by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Dec 04, 2019 at 02:35:10 PM EST
Today the collision shop found more damage, and are estimating it to be above $5000. Someone from State Farm has to go out there again, approve it, and write another check.

Maybe next week.

We'll get the Forester back this afternoon, only $400.

Sigh. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Dec 05, 2019 at 05:30:18 PM EST
Well, one out of two ain't bad.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Aww by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Dec 05, 2019 at 05:48:02 PM EST
Well, at least new kitty! That's fun anyway.

She gets hungry and persistent in the morning by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Dec 06, 2019 at 01:49:10 PM EST
and usually, the only one up who can open cat food is me.

That's why she prefers me.

I hope the 23 year old gets better by Orion Blastar (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Dec 06, 2019 at 01:31:51 AM EST
My son just turned 21 likes to fix cars. He buys a used car on Craigslist and buys parts from Rockauto. It saves money over buying a new car or used new car because he knows what is wrong and how to fix it up.

Insurance company should have provided a loaner car until her car was replaced. Not all do.

Disability isn't that great it does not pay much. I've been on disability since 2003 when my mental illness acted up after I lost my job for being on short-term disability and missing too many days and then new job fired for being mentally ill. I get paid a fraction of my salary but no stress of working for pointy haired bosses.

I sure hope that things get better for you and your family.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
Wrenching isn't fun outside in New York by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Dec 06, 2019 at 02:18:03 PM EST
until March, maybe.

While twenty_)three_year_old has some mechanical aptitude, she seems reluctant to get dirty and greasy with a car.

We live in Missouri by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Dec 07, 2019 at 12:28:36 AM EST
and have a house with a garage and tools. When my father died he gave his tools to my son, and we bought my son more tools so he could work on cars.

Just buy a $600 beater car and he can fix it up for a few more hundreds to run great.

I forgot New York doesn't have garages to work in. You got Trump style apartments with no garage.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
We have a detached dual stall garage by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat Dec 07, 2019 at 08:34:30 AM EST
too full of crap to fit a car in, and it's unheated.

Cleanup by Orion Blastar (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Dec 08, 2019 at 10:19:27 PM EST
We used to have too much clutter, and did a clean-up. Threw out junk we didn't need anymore to make space and added shelves and other things to hold the rest. It is unheated as well, my son bought a gas heater for when he works in cold weather.

He works for a Japanese Steak/Sushi house right now, because auto dealer wanted him to work full time and he goes to college part-time and wants a part-time job.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
All the good NOLA boys must have by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #10 Sun Dec 08, 2019 at 08:41:28 PM EST
gone north for college, as LO says the boys at her school "think they're a 10 but they are a 6 at best."

Her school is also popular with young men who have not yet explored the totality of their sexuality.

Good luck with the kitteh.

I was going to suggest they go sledding by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Dec 09, 2019 at 07:38:00 AM EST
when he spends the night, we have a huge hill a block away.

But, he does't have much winter appropriate clothing, and he's half a foot taller than me, nothing I have may fit.

Frolicing in the snow will have to wait.

The Ministry of Feline Affairs by me0w (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue Dec 10, 2019 at 03:53:50 PM EST
The Ministry of Feline Affairs is delighted that you have accepted a Minister into your family. Please be advised that the Ministry will require more photographic documentation of the Minister.

It's hard to pour wine by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Dec 13, 2019 at 09:36:44 PM EST
This is where boxed wine shines!

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
It was boxed wine by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Dec 16, 2019 at 07:25:36 AM EST
but you have to hold the glass with one hand while operating the spigot with the other hand. Two hands!

oh by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jan 07, 2020 at 02:27:35 PM EST
too good to put that glass on the floor and hope your aim is good, I see.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Two cars, three people, four good arms | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden)