Print Story The nest is empty, for reals this time.
By ObviousTroll (Thu Nov 07, 2019 at 11:37:38 AM EST) (all tags)
Seems like it's time for seasonally affected diary entries.

For the past 4 years we had the transitional period where we were alone but knew Lamb would be back at the next break. Not any more.

There are pluses and minuses. It's amazing how much trash and dishes one young woman can generate. On the other hand, suddenly it's going to be just the two of us for the holidays. (Lamb suggested flying home on Christmas Eve for a short visit, but we told her that she shouldn't go through all that work.) I suggested to SWHTL that we, I dunno, head to the Virgin Islands but she's gotten really into the whole cocooning thing as she's gotten older - the hiker/camper/girl scout leader wants to wrap herself in an afghan and drink tea.

I mean, that's fine, but after decades of her dragging her obese husband around to things he only put up with for her and the kids our roles are quite reversed. I'm actually thinking about taking a solo trip to Florida for a guided bike ride in December and she seems happy to get rid of me for a week.

Meanwhile, Troll Jr. hasn't been in contact at all this year for reasons which he hasn't revealed to any of us but I have to suspect are related to the Little Lost Lamb (who he hasn't ever contacted). He's met with Lamb twice this year but, apparently, only because his S.O. invited her to their apartment. We literally have no idea what to do with this; Lamb says she doesn't know what's going on either, and I spent a year texting him every week or so with family news and never getting a reply. Even when his work sent a company credit card to my address with my name on the envelope. (Which led to an amusing conversation with his employer, who I did not know, as we tried to figure out who was scamming whom. Apparently he didn't tell them he was a Junior.) He came and got it when we weren't around.

So, we have no idea what to do with that at all, so we let it go. Still, it makes me said that when the moment came when my family was going to suddenly get bigger, it got smaller instead.

Speaking of the Little Lost Lamb, she, Lamb and I exchange greetings and birthday cards and carefully edited highlights of our lives and, surprising the crap out of me, apparently drunk texts. (Well, I'm guessing on that one. 2 AM EDT on a Friday night I get a text message... take a peek and LLL was telling me how much fun she was having at an Oktoberfest, pictures included....)

But anyway, now I'm going to try and figure out how to put together a traditional thanksgiving meal, with all the required dishes, for myself, SWTHL and SWHTL's mom. Should be interesting when one of us is diabetic and one of us is on a permanent diet after 4-5 decades of compulsive eating...

This all sounds pretty negative, I guess, but it doesn't feel that way to me. It just feels like the phase of my life that was defined by my "dadness" has come to an end and now i'm waiting to see what the next phase looks like. Do get back into writing? Fiction or Non? Find a new open source project? Chuck it all to become a cycling bum?

No idea yet.

Speaking of unexpected new opportunities, I was asked by some long-time neighbors if I could please, please help out at the local polling place, and I said sure, took the day off and showed up to help match voters to voter registrations. We ended up with roughly double the expected turn out for an off-year election, much to the shock of everyone. I was highly amused when I learned that the Minority Inspector was a Libertarian rather than a Republican. Then, at the end of the day, when all the other volunteers had left, I stayed and helped the Judges of Elections double check the counts, fill out paper work, and deal with the obviously Linux-based voting machine, and I ended up signing my name in multiple places where it said "Clerk of Elections". I did emphasize that I still have a life-goal of making it to the grave without ever having to testify in a court of law, but overall it was an interesting experience. We all tend to look at election problems with conspiracy concerns but, at least in this case, it all came down to too few people trying to deal with an unevenly distributed crowd and then commit acts of math and paperwork after being on their feet for 14 hours. Helping out during the presidential election next year should be... exciting.
< Procrastination, I has it | DEVURLS Developer URLS RSS Page >
The nest is empty, for reals this time. | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden)
cycling bum by clock (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Nov 07, 2019 at 12:53:20 PM EST
There are way worse ideas than that out there. I mean, just cruising across the country, going from campsite to campsite?

Yeah. Way worse ideas out there.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I know, right? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Nov 07, 2019 at 01:10:01 PM EST
 Of course, the ugly reality of having one set of street clothes and one set of riding clothes and having to rinse and wring out the riding clothes every night is bit off putting but, definitely worse outcomes.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
testify in a court of law by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Nov 08, 2019 at 07:05:22 AM EST
Only did that once, after I got rear ended at a red light several years ago.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I’m surprised it went that far. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Nov 08, 2019 at 09:48:26 AM EST
Both times I had to give a deposition were car accidents, one my fault, the other not, but both were settled long before getting to a court room.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
This one was a guy with a clearance by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Nov 08, 2019 at 11:27:01 AM EST
He was charged with reckless driving, and was probably afraid of losing his clearance if he was convicted. Since he totaled 3 cars, including his, he was convicted. No idea if he lost his clearance.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yeesh. Did you get hurt? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Nov 08, 2019 at 12:20:51 PM EST
An acquaintance showed up for a meeting this morning all banged up - managed to fall asleep at the wheel while driving down the highway the night before, but got lucky - drifted into one barrier, bounced into the opposite barrier, woke up and came to a stop without hitting anything else or anyone hitting her.

Personally, I've had some scares but all my accidents occurred at low speeds.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I was fine by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Nov 08, 2019 at 01:44:56 PM EST
The Mercedes S500 behind me absorbed most of the impact. But my car was totaled with a bent frame. And the Kia that hit the Benz looked like a missile had hit it. The engine was on the windshield.

The only injury was to the driver of the Kia. Sprained his wrist when his airbag deployed.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yeah, it sucks that cars are so expensive to fix by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #10 Fri Nov 08, 2019 at 02:12:42 PM EST
until you realize that they're literally soaking up the damage that would otherwise hurt or kill you.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Does a deposition count? by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Nov 08, 2019 at 07:27:23 AM EST
I was deposed once; for a civil suit around a car wreck.

I don’t think so? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Nov 08, 2019 at 09:47:28 AM EST
I’ve been deposed twice but only by a couple of lawyers in a room, never in an actual court.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
We just took eighteen_year_old to the polls by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Nov 08, 2019 at 06:41:06 PM EST
for her first vote.

NY is using scanned ballots, the old fill in the oval kind. I got irked when the poll worker took a long time to explain it, since I've been doing that since I was in elementary school.

Eighteen_year_old can be feisty, I'm surprised she didn't get annoyed enough at the explanation to say "Ok boomer."

My son was in an accident when he was 17 by Orion Blastar (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun Nov 10, 2019 at 12:41:04 AM EST
the lady pulled out of the Dollar General and hit his car with a Pit Maneuver that disabled his car and it crashed into a crowd. We got a video from across the street showing it was not his fault.

Criminal trial came back not-guilty of attempted manslaughter charges (Nobody died, some got minor hurt) and the only thing they could get him was speeding because everyone else was speeding.

Now there are two people suing him in civil court because insurance ran out of money paying them. They brought the lady who hit them in court as well. One look at the video and they'll know she caused it.

I was in an accident in 2005, speeding car hit my car and spun it around into a telephone pole. I crashed my head through the driver side window and it broke. I lost my glasses but firefighters could not find them. My brother and father got my cell phone call and found my glasses on the trunk of the other car. There was no criminal or civil trial that time. I don't speed and drive in the right lane to let others pass me by.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
Bloody hell. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Nov 10, 2019 at 06:53:50 AM EST
I've never been in anything that bad. Glad you and your son are still here!

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
I got a head injury by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Nov 10, 2019 at 05:38:54 PM EST
no brain damage. Just some memory issues. I got a broken knee and had to use a wheelchair walker for a while. It still isn't 100%. MY back hurts sometimes too. They went 70 MPH in a 40 MPH lane. Turned my car completely around. Cops didn't care who started it or speed, just wanted to clear the road.

My son had no damage as he was only going 35 MPH nobody died and minor injuries. The lady got money to fix her car even if it was her fault.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
The nest is empty, for reals this time. | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden)