Print Story Procrastination, I has it
By lm (Thu Nov 07, 2019 at 06:38:35 AM EST) (all tags)
So a "few months" ago, I emailed myself a  copy of my resume from years ago to edit.

I started looking for it two days ago. The only file I could find was from 2018.

That steely resolve to finally brush up my resume and look for something new apparently didn't last long.

I like the work I do. Well, I like some of the work I do, when I get to do it. More often I'm doing other people's work or getting bogged down in tedium.

And I like some of the people I work with. Despite my long standing policy of not entering into personal relationships with my cow-orkers, there are some colleagues that I consider genuine friends and others that I genuinely like doing projects with. But there's also a fair number that I'd fire tomorrow if I owned the company.

But at the end of the day there are two things that have made me want to look elsewhere for some time and a third thing that is putting the exclamation point on that desire.

I am undervalued with regards to both compensation and recognition.

Major technical and policy decisions are being made without my input - I wouldn't mind this so much if these decisions were being made well.

I look at my life of white male privilege and I see how I'm spending large amounts of time working to make rich white assholes richer and I want to find a job where I'm actively making the world a better place.

So last night I started editing the resume. This morning I edited it a little bit more.

It's time for me to find a new gig.

< No Medical treatments for you if you are racist or sexist or discriminate or make excessive noise | The nest is empty, for reals this time. >
Procrastination, I has it | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)
Good luck! by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Nov 07, 2019 at 06:55:28 AM EST
Lots of nonprofits in the area that can use a good I.t. guy. Of course they have nonprofit pay scales.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yeah by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Nov 07, 2019 at 08:02:10 AM EST
Plus, nonprofits hiring for-profit people is all the rage right now.

I'm fine with downward mobility by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Nov 07, 2019 at 08:04:06 PM EST
The thing to figure out is what I want.

Job 1 is just to get the resume polished up. After that, anything could happen.

Cicero, The Republic
It's terrifying. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Nov 07, 2019 at 10:49:43 AM EST
In my 20s and 30s I seemed to change jobs every 2 years whether by my choice or theirs, then for a long time the company I worked for kept changing even though I was still sitting at the same desk. Now I'm going through some serious bruhaha and really wondering how much crap I'm willing to put up with in exchange for not having to look for work - and how employable I am now that I realize (a) I'm old enough for ageism to possibly be a thing and (b) I've evolved from a utility player into a highly specialized sort of wonk who only gets recruitment pings from headhunters who want to know if I want to work in Manhattan...

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Non-Profits by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Nov 08, 2019 at 12:23:33 AM EST
don't always make the world a better place either. They are in it for the money as well to pay their bills and employees and some of the money is embezzled like the Red Cross or Goodwill.

The fake meat businesses took off with the Impossible Whopper and fake meat with plants takes just as much chemicals and byproducts as meat does. It harms the environment as much as meat does. It gets goo added to planets to taste like beef or chicken. KFC has Beyond Chicken and Tyson is now a protein company.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
Oh, undoubtedly by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Nov 08, 2019 at 05:24:07 AM EST
There are quite a few non-profits that I would never consider working for.

Cicero, The Republic
Good for you by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Nov 10, 2019 at 12:33:36 AM EST
because it is hard to find a nice non-profit that does not make rich assholes richer or screw people over.

My mother gets countless postal mail about donating to non-profits and every non-profit she pays they sell her name to more non-profits. I got a feeling most of them are fake and scam seniors out of money.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
Procrastination, I has it | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)