Print Story I don't think this is supposed to be how it works
By lm (Tue Oct 29, 2019 at 06:18:01 PM EST) (all tags)
... or maybe it is.

All I know is I'm broken and she makes me whole.

[Warning: potential page widening content follows.]

She caught me off guard. Really off guard.

I'd decided just to tip my toes in the dating pool. I was tired of going to local concerts alone. It's been fun at indy outlets like The Snare but Shonen Knife was sad by myself.

So I opened up an OK Cupid profile and said pretty much that. I wasn't looking for hook ups. I wasn't looking for a long term relationship. I just wanted someone to go to the shows or a movie with.

That was Saturday night. Irene messaged me on Sunday night, saying she liked my profile.

I told her that I told that to my profile that and was greeted by a blank stare and an awkward silence. And then my profile chided me. "She likes ME? It's never about ME? It's always about YOU!"

(On hearing this, my friend Nadia said, "So your game is having an absurd amount of anti-game.")

A week of messaging followed. I took my OKC profile down on Saturday. And we met in person on Sunday. When we met, we both felt like we had known each other all of our lives.

Today we made it Facebook official.

She's funny. She's fierce. She says "fuck" even more than Jenn used to when she was alive.

She brings a new clarity to my life, to everything I do. She makes me want to be the best me that I can be.

A lovely picture of lm and That Woman, her with a riduclously lovely smile on her face and him with bright new life in his eyes

< Life never goes quite how you think it will | I had a werd nightmare of sorts >
I don't think this is supposed to be how it works | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)
congratulations, that's fantastic news. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Oct 29, 2019 at 06:31:36 PM EST

Hooray! by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Oct 29, 2019 at 07:37:14 PM EST
I'm so happy for you!

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Yay! by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Oct 29, 2019 at 11:00:27 PM EST

This is great! by clock (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Oct 30, 2019 at 07:55:12 AM EST
Wonderful news, friend!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Hooray by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Oct 30, 2019 at 08:33:19 AM EST
you deserve some happiness.

Great news by hulver (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Oct 30, 2019 at 12:51:47 PM EST
I'm happy that you're happy.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
So quick! by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Oct 30, 2019 at 05:38:09 PM EST
And so good to hear!

Congratulations!

You deserve this. /nt by ni (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Oct 31, 2019 at 04:08:57 PM EST

Good going dude by Orion Blastar (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Nov 07, 2019 at 01:16:52 AM EST
you picked a winner.

"I drank what?" - Socrates after drinking the Conium
That's great! by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Nov 07, 2019 at 10:43:51 AM EST
 You both look good, and happy.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals