Print Story Keeping It Up
Family
By Gedvondur (Mon Oct 14, 2019 at 05:31:21 PM EST) (all tags)
I’m trying to contribute here more. It helps with my memory and allows me to contextualize what I was thinking in the past. Plus, community.

I had my 49th birthday this weekend. An auspicious occasion notable mostly for the black depression that gripped me all day Saturday and most of the day Sunday. I go through these things sometimes. My wife is supportive and that does help, but when I feel like that I don’t want any sort of help nor do I wish to help myself. It doesn’t happen as much as it did when I was young, so at least I’ve got that going on for me.

I got the new Steve Miller Band boxed set and in a surprise, my parents bought me a TicWatch Pro, with a metal band and a face protector. I have been looking at Android watches for about a year and TBH, I haven’t bought one because by and large they are pants and Google Wear is pants. Plus battery life issues etc...well now I’ve got one. So far, other than feeling constantly shamed by the stupid heath tracker, it’s been at least fun. We will see if its useful long term. It’s weird to have a watch on, this is the first time I’ve worn one in 20 years. For the boxed set, I need to rip it, as I have like a single optical drive yet, so listening has been tough.

I learned yesterday that my uncle R is going in for bile duct, gallbladder, and lymph node cancer. 8 hour operation. He’s 80 or so, but in good health so they are going for it. He beat lymphatic cancer about 15 years ago too. R is literally my Racist Uncle. He hates black people. This has lead to estrangement with parts of the family that are/were married to a black person and now have children of that ancestry. It's not like he won’t shut up about it or brings it up, but he has made his hateful opinions known. I’m not close to him. But it is strange to me, he’s always been kind, helpful and quick with a smile with me. He used to give me quarters when I was a child, making it out like it was a special gift. 5 year old me was delighted. How could he hate that way? I don’t forgive or excuse his racist bullshit opinions, but I don’t want my uncle to die either. He was once special to me and his wife, my aunt, is a delight and I don’t want to see her cry. (she does not share his racist opinions) I’ve lost an aunt and an uncle this year already. I know this is that time of life, where you lose your aunts and uncles and it sucks, even the massively racist ones.

We continue to work towards my wife’s degree. Work continues to be a massive black hole for my motivation, but what can you do. This week I need to get my wife’s car in for air conditioning repairs, which will no doubt be horribly expensive. We will see. Going to try and make bread and pizza dough this week. Normally I do a turbo bread, done in a few hours, but I want to try the no-knead bread from the NYT, they say it's got a lot more flavor.

One last thing, lets get more of you posting your stuff up here too. All that shit you post on Facebook is better served here, at least nobody is making a buck off it and everyone here wants to hear about what's up with you. Including me.

< I had a diary all READY | 10:18 >
Keeping It Up | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)
You’re right by miserere (4.00 / 5) #1 Mon Oct 14, 2019 at 05:46:19 PM EST
I need to do a home improvement diary. Once I get the time to actually post rather than doing the stuff (in the midst of laying down vinyl flooring over the top of the asbestos tiles in the bathroom now).

Yes! by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Oct 14, 2019 at 11:37:35 PM EST
That would be excellent.

Please? by clock (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Oct 15, 2019 at 07:58:30 AM EST
Would you pretty please post home improvement stuff here? Stacky would eat it up and it would give her another target...I mean...person...to talk about her home obsessions with. It'd be grand! I promise!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

And posted! by miserere (4.00 / 2) #8 Tue Oct 15, 2019 at 05:37:20 PM EST
The great home improvement photo diary of progress so far.

FB is a different segment for me by Merekat (4.00 / 3) #3 Tue Oct 15, 2019 at 05:52:05 AM EST
0% overlap.

That said, I would like to write more here but I feel I should do it more thoughtfully than FB as the platform deserves more than mental farts. But then I sort of collapse under the (self imposed) weight of expectation.

I do mental fart on slack quite happily though.

You can always try recharging the AC by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Oct 15, 2019 at 07:18:21 AM EST
pick a can with lubricant and leak sealers, it might fix it.

Our Forester needs about one can a summer.

Its a 2016 by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Oct 15, 2019 at 11:49:46 AM EST
It uses weirdo coolant that even my local mechanic doesn't have the equipment to fix.

I looked into doing it myself, its tricky and there are no instructions. Plus this new coolant is flammable.

Yeah. by clock (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Oct 15, 2019 at 07:57:42 AM EST
Depression sucks. We'll leave it at that.

And Happy Birthday. I don't do the sosh-meedz outside of Mastodon so I had no idea! Enjoy the toy.

And I was gonna post something this week. Maybe I'll do that today. Bump up the site stats or something.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Dooo Eeeet! by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Oct 15, 2019 at 05:54:10 PM EST
We need more content.

I need to try and document more. It helps me.

It's true by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Oct 18, 2019 at 12:38:36 AM EST
", at least nobody is making a buck off it and everyone here wants to hear about what's up with you"  uBlock Adblock reports 0 tracking elements.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR BALLS! ->clock
Keeping It Up | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden)