Print Story so long Google Reader, see you in hell
By clover kicker (Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 08:47:23 AM EST) (all tags)
Since October 30, 2011 you have read a total of 299,981 items.

I've found theoldreader.com to be a decent substitute.

I'm considering rolling something myself that doesn't depend on anyone's infrastructure, maybe rss2imap. More likely I'll never get around to it.

poll inside:

< The last several days | mad men > breaking bad >
so long Google Reader, see you in hell | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)
Cap by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 09:19:22 AM EST
I don't think the subscription count is accurate. Mine read "over 300,000" for the last couple of years, but now claims 299,992, so I think it's just capped at around 300k. I've moved to Feedly.
Feedly by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 03:37:42 PM EST
I moved to Feedly as well.  I'm not that hot on it, but discovered that now that I've been using it, my google/reader subscriptions are out of date, so importing into any other service is a little painful.  Oh well.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
tiny tiny rss by jaxom green (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 05:28:01 PM EST
I migrated to tiny tiny rss a few days after google announced they were shutting reader down.  works well, the android app is very good and being actively improved.  I've even heard that the free amazon cloud instance is a good way to run your own.

I like the idea of tiny tiny rss by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 07:25:44 PM EST
But the idea of needing to keep up to date on PHP security was enough to scare me from running my own.

apt-get update; apt-get upgrade by jaxom green (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 11:38:29 PM EST
understandable but it's all managed by apt-get.  Still risk but it's easier to manage than by hand.

The transition to theoldreader... by ana (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 06:55:01 PM EST
was pretty painless. I haven't tried it mobile, but then I rarely actually need such a service.

HERE: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jul 01, 2013 at 10:22:59 PM EST

so long Google Reader, see you in hell | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)