Print Story You know you want what's on my mind
By jw32767 (Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 06:54:28 PM EST) (all tags)
 I'm still a bit rusty at this whole diarizing thing.  Ignore the little brown/red flakes.

Had a pretty good weekend.  My wife's job is slowly killing her with stress but on the weekends she mostly recovers at least until about 3pm on Sunday.  We got caught up on some stuff around the house (down to 2 dirty loads for the first time since I got back from Romania in January), went out to dinner with friends, and generally relaxed for the first time in a while.  I'd almost forgotten what having a relaxing weekend feels like with all we have going on.

Trying to refinance the house now too, but housing values have dropped since we bought, so our LTV is a bit on the low side.  Which sucks because we could cut ~2% off our interest rate.  It's amazing how much I've been thinking about money lately.  It's not so much that we are hurting in the least, just that with more money we could actually afford things like letting my wife quit her hellish job, pay to have a kid, or go on a reasonable vacation.

My heartless corporate overlords put down a decree that we shall not handle a certain type of data in a way they deem insecure.  No more releases for everyone until each team fixes it.  The problem with mandates like that is that for the 30 days of development time it's going to take to fix it we're not going to be spending 30 days of time fixing more severe security issues that present a broader attack surface which we currently have on the roadmap.  If you have a bunch of windows, a few of which don't even have working locks, adding a mantrap to your front door that already has a deadbolt and is made out of steel isn't actually improving the overall security of the house.

Might get sent back to Bucharest in the fall.  I'm really looking forward to being able to do so.  Not only are the people all awesome but I really love the folks on my team over there.  They are sharp as hell and a real pleasure to work with.  It really annoys me that our immigration laws are screwed up enough that we keep folks that are hard working and sharp at an arms length rather than doing everything in our power to get them to move over here.

< So, I caused an auto accident the other day. | Fascinating, I'm sure. >
You know you want what's on my mind | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden)
immigration law is really weird by gzt (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Apr 24, 2013 at 08:02:35 PM EST
and arbitrary at times.

Really weird by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 12:30:18 PM EST
It often blows me away how completely different it is for people coming from different places.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Are you in by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 12:17:01 AM EST
Southern or Northern Vermont.

Trying to think of which corporate overlord with overseas teams you might be talking about...

Live in Northern, work in central -nt by jw32767 (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 07:05:32 AM EST

lol new england "distances" by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 10:29:48 AM EST

I suspect by yankeehack (4.00 / 2) #7 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 11:13:09 AM EST
he has to drive on an actual highway to commute to work.
I don't _have_ to but I do -nt by jw32767 (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 11:29:11 PM EST

You're a bit rusty? by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 01:35:31 AM EST
How's the yacht and monacle business?

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Yachts are good by jw32767 (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Apr 25, 2013 at 07:05:04 AM EST
Monocles have gone a bit out of style lately though.  Probably going to have to do some restructuring in that part of the business to improve efficiencies.

You know you want what's on my mind | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden)