Print Story update thingy
By MillMan (Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 07:41:44 PM EST) (all tags)
Post travel blues are here, right on schedule.

I can't imagine they will be as bad this time. Plus vacation isn't actually over yet anyway.

I've been living in a temp place in San Jose for a few weeks and can stay here as long as I want. I don't really like the location and it's fairly pricey. I'm starting a two month clinical deep tissue massage course in a few weeks up in Oakland (different school than the one I went to) and decided late last week that I'm going to look for a sublet up that way. I'm not really in the mood to do a 40 mile commute three days a week on the motorcycle. Unlike the challenges on the road, that one isn't particularly interesting or fun. Most of the people I know live down in San Jose too, but I'd like to give the east bay a try, which I had been considering when I started massage school almost two years ago.

Back in the gym, I started a basic "Starting Strength" program, which is all barbell training. Other than bench I've never done any of these exercises. Squats feel pretty natural (not that my form is necessarily fantastic) and overhead press is actually a lot of fun. The deadlift movement feels very awkward and is going to take some work to get right (I am definitely leaning forward too much and I'm not sure about hip placement either).

It's also the first time I've been at a commercial gym in six years. I forgot about all the characters you find there. The guys with (seeming) body dysmorphia are the funniest and most tragic.

I'm going to get back to yoga too, maybe after a month worth of weightlifting. Last time out I ended up with nagging elbow and ankle and I'd like to minimize my odds of that happening again.

I'm up to 40 minutes a night of meditating (do you see the theme here). I'd like to get it up to two hours a day at some point, but that will take time. My focus is poor.

That's pretty much it. I'm waiting for the 70F days to come back so I can go ride down to the coast to really enjoy my temporary life of leisure.

< Candles out | Let's talk a bit about things. >
update thingy | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden)
Focus... by ana (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 07:52:00 PM EST
is what meditation is about. You keep returning to the exercise, every time you find a distraction.

I saw an aphorism yesterday, saying meditate 15 min a day. Unless you don't have time. Then meditate for an hour.

Which gets us back to dismissing distractions and returning to the exercise.

yeah by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 07:58:52 PM EST
that's why I think more than 40 minutes is currently pointless. My mind calms in about 10 minutes and then once relaxed it wanders a lot. So that is where the current work lies. Then again getting the body used to the sitting is useful regardless.

squatting and such by gzt (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 07:54:36 PM EST
this stretch is very helpful for getting the form right as well: http://i2.ytimg.com/vi/bUKWnGcu5Ss/0.jpg (though if your upper arms are very short like mine, it might not be as helpful for cuing some aspects of the form, but it's good for stretching and opening the hips)

do you have the book? it is extremely helpful.

deadlifting can feel awkward at first - you definitely do have to be pretty far back compared to what you feel like. It's kind of easier to be in the right position with heavier weights because gravity forces you to do it right, but that's not helpful right now!

that part is easy for me by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 08:05:15 PM EST
I am pretty flexible. I think I solved keeping the weight back enough after someone said in a video "break your hips first on the way down" which made something click in my head. The remaining worry for now is keeping my back in proper form.

I've only done deadlift once so far so I'm not too worried. On Wednesday I'll force my weight back and just work on form.

I do have the book and "acquired" the videos as well.

Starting Strength by technician (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 11:04:16 AM EST
is a great program. Be very careful of your form, though!

working on it by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 01:56:07 PM EST
Who knew bench press was so involved...

It is, very. by technician (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 05:37:54 PM EST
My right shoulder has a torn rotator cuff from improper lifting on a bench (wasn't arching my lower back properly, and wasn't centered properly). When you get into lifting a few hundred pounds over your body weight, that sort of tiny detail becomes very, very important.

When I squat, I have to do this odd little wiggle at the bottom of the lift due to scar tissue in my back. Also, my upper torso is very long vs my legs, so I have to have a wider stance. Had I not had someone handy who trains Olympic lifting, I'd probably be crippled.

seeing what is considered proper form by MillMan (4.00 / 2) #8 Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 05:50:02 PM EST
scapulas drawn in, weight on the traps, back arched to achieve that, etc - it's insane because in my younger days none of this was in books or what people told me, and arching your back was considered dangerous. Ugh. At least I've always had the upper arm angle correct so as to not wreck my shoulders.

Yeah, I do this thing now by technician (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 05:55:38 PM EST
that looks silly, but when I lay back and arch my back, I let my arms out to my sides, expanding my chest, letting my shoulder blades line up and get flat, then I raise up to the bar, grab it, and let my hands drop to my chest. If they don't drop to the mid-line, then I adjust where I'm at, etc etc. I sometimes do this four or five times until everything feels just right, then I grip the bar like it'll kill me and lift.

It looks a little silly and takes time on every rep, but my shoulder isn't any worse for it. I think that was the biggest thing I learned with Rippetoe's stuff: take time and care. In the past I was always in a hurry. Now I take enough time to get it right.

update thingy | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden)