Print Story Holiday.
Cycling
By ana (Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 05:36:38 PM EST) (all tags)
We hold these truths to be self-evident. This statement is false.

I made granola this morning, having finished the last batch yesterday. My recipe is a compromise between R343L's (including such things as maple syrup) and a diet book that was pushing superfoods like pomegranate juice and walnuts. The result is quite tasty, and it's pretty easy to do every couple weeks. I had an argument with a hot oven rack that wanted to fall off, but there were no casualties.

So toxicfur's landlady invited some friends over for a picnic in their yard, and thought to invite toxicfur, and, oddly enough, me. So, sure. I like the woman and her partner, the yard's nice, there's a shady grape arbor, etc.

It occurred to me what, what with the holiday, there'd be zero traffic on the streets, and, weather permitting, I could cycle over. Google tells me it's 7 miles on the most direct (but quite hilly) route we take to work. I went that way, more or less, and got there in 40 minutes, which is about what I can do in a car on a busy traffic day.

Picnic was fine. I've remarked before that J is a barker, which has the effect of making any attempt at conversation moot (and also mute). This can be a good thing.

We stayed 2 hours. It was enough. I rode home again. To be sure, toxicfur offered to drive me home if I wasn't up to riding, with an offer to come get the bike tomorrow. That wold be easy since [a] I have her car rack, and [b] her house is 8 minutes' walk from my office.

It was fine. I went a longer way around several of the more notable hills; perhaps 8-ish miles in 50 minutes. Was fun. We'll see if I can move tomorrow.

And I had another shower, and wobbly legs going up the stairs. I played in the garden a bit; staked up some flowers that were falling on the front walk; planted more radishes and pulled out some weeds. I *think* i found one carrot plant. One of the more common weed varieties has carrot-like leaves, so it's hard to be sure.

And now it's nearly dinner time. I think I'll probably sear a swordfish steak I have in the freezer, and use LinDze's recipe (posted here long ago in toxicfur's recipe fun challenge) for a red wine reduction sauce over wilted bok choy. It's easy, and I have the time to do something a bit out of the ordinary.

On a completely different topic, there's a video out that speaks to me, as if it were written for me, particularly. There were tears in my eyes when I finished watching yesterday. The Huffpost picked it up.
< A Mighty Whiffler | Summer update >
Holiday. | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)
Video by johnny (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 09:08:18 PM EST
I watched it.

It was nice to see the smiles and hear the confidence and ease of the people in it, and nice to see that some people, at least, had found a home in the church that clearly means so much to them.

I couldn't held but think of trans people in, for example, the Roman Catholic church, or evangelical (fundamentalist) churches, where it's hard to imagine that they'll ever find a welcoming home.  Which is sad, and such a waste.

It is indeed a miracle. by ana (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jul 04, 2012 at 09:17:36 PM EST
There's also a kind of radical honesty about these folks that's lightyears beyond anything I can imagine. Maybe that's what vocation really is about.

I love the wobbly legs going up the stairs by riceowlguy (4.00 / 2) #3 Thu Jul 05, 2012 at 11:24:08 AM EST
It's one the ways you know you rode hard/far enough.

They go away pretty quickly though if you just want to get to a decent ride-around-town pace and then maintain that.

It takes a while by Herring (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jul 05, 2012 at 02:59:36 PM EST
to learn how much effort your body can expend and for how long so you can ride within yourself. Then you can learn how to push yourself harder for longer and how to say shut up legs.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Shut up legs... by ana (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Jul 05, 2012 at 03:23:17 PM EST
isn't that Rick Santorum's version of birth control? Perhaps with the addition of an aspirin tabled to be held between the knees.

It's the great Jens Voigt by Herring (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jul 05, 2012 at 03:55:58 PM EST
Not only is he the hardest man on the planet, the toughest domestique and the only rider over 40 in this year's tour, he's also Angelina Jolie's father.

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Holiday. | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)