Print Story Everyone's out of the hospital
Family
By FlightTest (Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 11:45:58 AM EST) (all tags)
Dad was released Tuesday.

Mom and Dad

Not much to say, other than AN (Army Nurse) has been over at my parents and helping out, I'm kinda surprised my dad is accepting the help, but happy that he is.

Mom is still very confused.   AN and MIL think it may be the start of Alzheimer's or dementia.  I don't put much stock in what MIL says, but AN is pretty sharp.  A bit afraid of how my father will cope.   For now, my mother knows she's forgetful and confused and is very frightened.  She doesn't want to be left alone at all, so I think my dad is going to have to come to some agreement with AN so he can go the store, etc.

Dad continues to improve, getting his strength back, sounding better.  Dad is my rock.

Mrs FT.

Went to doctors appointments with Mrs. FT - talked to at least 3 docs - of course the surgeon wants to cut, but admitted that trying the epidural and PT first wouldn't hurt as long as her muscle strength doesn't continue to degrade.   If surgery eventually is needed, the good news is the disc is well south of the end of her spinal cord so the danger is minimal.  Long term results are about equal with surgery or epidural + PT, in the short term surgical patients experience pain relief faster.  Still, both of us are reluctant to opt for surgery.

Work

Management still haven't managed to reconcile the "no use of personal cell phones for company email" policy with the "blackberries will only be given to managers" policy.  Higher ups (who really have the say in pay + promotions) are firmly on my side, I must follow company policy.  My boss and the PM's I work for are a little annoyed I brought it up, because they're being thwarted in attempts to get me a company BB.   A couple low level managers that used to use their personal cells and now carry two phones (personal + company) are a bit miffed as well, but they hold no power over me, and wouldn't be the types to retaliate anyways.

I probably take too much pleasure in watching the law of unintended consequences bite them, as they struggle with the cost of a BB for me (and a couple others) vs. the sudden inability to get a quick response from their lead engineers.   I have no doubt that it is the "no BB's for peons" policy that will fall, and eventually I too will carry two phones, but for now their shock that their poorly thought out policies are causing problems for THEM is pure gold.

Life is Short, Fly Fast!
< Civ V | Writing contest >
Everyone's out of the hospital | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden)
Tee hee by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 11:51:23 AM EST
I'm not fond of being instantly available, I did that bit on the hotline.

and I'm glad to hear the good news by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 11:54:09 AM EST
mixed up with the anxious news.

Thanks by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 12:12:30 PM EST
It's a mixed bag to be sure ...... just have to wait and see......

It doesn't bother me much by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 12:21:00 PM EST
I've been able to prevent, or at least have an attack plan for, Monday morning shitstorms more than once.  I like what I do, I work for a guy who's appreciative of my efforts, and better still, he doesn't take credit for other people's work.  So I don't mind so much because I know the effort isn't unnoticed.

Thankfully by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Sep 21, 2010 at 07:50:55 AM EST
I've never had a job that required it.  I'm not sure if there's a figure (assuming it's optional) that could be offered to entice me to submit to having off-hours availability.

It was worth it, it got me in as a direct by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Sep 21, 2010 at 09:11:11 AM EST
instead of contract, I learned a lot, paid my dues, and have lots of cred.

Contracting for the big red X by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Sep 21, 2010 at 09:24:25 AM EST
Don't miss those days.

I never even got the good contracts by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Sep 21, 2010 at 09:27:50 AM EST
Just System Key Op, maybe $11 an hour, two weeks of vacation, and health care I had to pay for myself.

Good news on the parents by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 01:26:06 PM EST
Going into hospital seems to highlight mental decline issues unfortunately: they can cope in familiar surroundings but struggle in a strange environment.
Agreed by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 01:52:04 PM EST
Also, sleeping is difficult in hospital, and there are lots of other nasty bugs floating around there as well.  Best to get out ASAP.  My father certainly seems to be recovering quickly now that he's out.  Tuesday night he was very tired, last night he sounded his usual self.

Work email by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 01:37:43 PM EST
One of the nice things about being a cleared techie in the DC area is no work is done outside the office. Well, unless you have a scif in your living room, which some Senior People apparently do. But I don't. 8 hours/day in the office, and no outside work. If we're "on call" it's "on call" in the office, while getting paid.

Well, except I'm a programmer and still think while out of the office, but I can't even take notes of what I'm thinking.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

LOLCOMSEC by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 03:03:34 PM EST
I would LOVE to tag along on a security audit to see just what constitutes a SCIF in someone's living room.

Ditto by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 05:45:26 PM EST
Although the office Christmas parties and picnics are a bit odd; putting a group of people together with only 1 thing in common and telling them it's the 1 thing they can't talk about...  yeah, fun.

I am not a doctor, BUT by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 03:35:14 PM EST
Sounds like you guys have nothing to lose by going the PT route first (apart from time and agony, which "fortunately" comes "cheap"). Surgery can probably be done later (after exhausting the non-invasive treatment). I always remind people that anesthesia is literally mostly poison (which in this case you can't avoid) and surgery is voluntary trauma. You are letting somebody hurt you (potentially severely) under the premise that you might get better afterwards. The goal is to hurt you just enough that you will heal into some better situation, which is based on guess work (as most people don't have a baseline to work towards, only the average of what "others" look like).

Surgery is nasty stuff and should never be considered as anything but last option :-).

-- The revolution will not be televised.
Yep by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 08:26:01 PM EST
Anytime you go under anesthesia, there's a risk of complications.  And yes, while keeping an eye out for signs of serious muscle weakening (foot drop, etc.) there's almost no risk of doing the epidural + PT first, so that's what we're doing.

Old thinking by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 04:05:33 PM EST
Your company is practicing old thinking when it comes to mobile and mail.

I work for a huge company.  Their policy is that if you want work email on your own smart phone, GO NUTS.  There are some guidelines around it for security, but for the most part they don't really give out that many cell phones anymore.  Hell, they don't even pay for home broadband for home workers anymore.

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
Well, I understand thier issue by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 08:21:55 PM EST
The thinking is, you get terminated, because the smart phones actually download the messages, you have potentially sensitive company emails on your device and they can't demand to search it.   Of course they haven't really thought it through, because we are explicitly allowed to VPN in with our own computers and I can easily create an outlook folder on my personal computer and copy messages to it.   You could also of course forward an email to yourself, but then the exchange server would log it and they would know what you sent.

They've plugged one obvious hole, but there are far larger ones they haven't.

They can by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Sep 17, 2010 at 11:15:28 PM EST
if they sue you and conduct discovery, which sucks to be on the disclosing end of.

Everyone's out of the hospital | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden)