Print Story Attn Codemonkey infidel
Toys
By anonimouse (Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 09:30:02 AM EST) (all tags)
I am unlikely to be able to play Syd Sym

..because I bought one of these
When is the Android version out?

First Impressions
Sound quality is very good
I need smaller fingertips to operate the keyboard, and I have a bad habit of resting my left thumb on the screen when I'm trying to do multi-touch actions with my right hand.
Wireless and mobile reception is quite good and fast (hello iPhone4 users).
Screen needs regular polishing (or maybe I need degreasing).
4gB is not enough - must get bigger memory card
< rough day | Bottomless pit >
Attn Codemonkey infidel | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden)
I second this by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 09:58:05 AM EST
(Though technically I'm the owner of one of these, which is more or less the same thing.)

Vive le Montréal libre.
Are you at work? by ni (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 10:08:32 AM EST
Go out to the corner of the building, and look carefully: "Driusan sucks" should be legible in permanent marker at about eye-level.

Drool, drool by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 10:15:50 AM EST
I can upgrade my phone in the fall, but I don't think there's room in my budget for an additional $30 a month for a data package for an android based phone.

Nearly fourteen year old just upgraded to an env Touch, which costs an extra $10 a month, but that might be doable. And it has a 3.5 mm stereo plug, not the useless 2.5 mm one.

I don't pay for data. by garlic (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 04:26:47 PM EST
I steal wifi.

I don't have a data package by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 08:55:12 PM EST
Since it's unlocked I just threw in the sim card from my old prepaid phone without changing any service. It works perfectly fine with WiFi, still makes phone calls, and if you don't set up the APN, it doesn't try to use data from your cellphone provider.

I consider it more of a replacement for my iPod Touch/old non-smart phone (which both died around the same time.) I'm not expecting to have a data package with it until a phone company in Canada starts offering reasonable priced data plans sometime around the year 3000.

Vive le Montréal libre.

sim card means you don't have Verizon by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 10:53:38 PM EST
as does lack of a mandatory data package.

Me three by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 10:25:01 AM EST
Except I have a Sprint EVO.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I have one of those also. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 12:46:24 PM EST
What cool apps do you have?

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Well by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 01:54:58 PM EST
The PS3 trophies app.  A bunch of Kanji trainers.  A Japanese translater.  Plus the required "Better Keyboard" and "Tricorder".

Also a lot of random crap I downloaded but isn't really worthy of note.

I also have Ringdroid, so I can use the Metal Gear Solid ringtone and alert tone.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Syd Sym on Android by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 12:08:19 PM EST
I don't currently plans on porting it myself, but I would be willing discuss a port if someone else wants too have a crack at it. :)

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
The Android SDK by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 09:13:59 PM EST
Includes a hardware simulator, if that's the problem. If you do go that route and try porting it (I can't remember if you were doing a free game or a paid $0.99 one for profit. If it was free/for fun I imagine it's not worth it, if it was for teh moneys it might be), I can test it on real hardware once you got it quasi-working.

But I don't really have the time to do the whole port myself.

Vive le Montréal libre.

I'll need a new Android phone soon by TheophileEscargot (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 01:57:57 PM EST
How's the battery life?
Not sure I can fairly comment by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 03:55:16 PM EST
I drained about half the power in about 3 hours this morning, but that was because I was playing with it investigating its features.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
not good enough by garlic (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jul 06, 2010 at 04:27:55 PM EST
for a day long usage and only nightly recharge if you use the screen extensively.

Update by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Jul 07, 2010 at 05:57:33 AM EST
I'm coming to the conclusion that because it does more, you're tempted to use it more. At least with one of these things, unlike an iPhone you can get a spare battery and swap out.

In actual practice, it doesn't matter to me. My laptop goes with me, so I can happily recharge through USB or even from the mains when I am in work.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Attn Codemonkey infidel | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden)