Print Story rambling, nothing more than rambling
By aphrael (Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 01:46:32 AM EST) (all tags)
Evidently the Science Fiction channel (Rebranded as Syfy, a name that I find to be only slightly more legitimate a name than 'moons over my hammy') has made a miniseries adaptation of 'riverworld' in the hopes of turning it into a series.

It starts off on the wrong foot by having the people be clothed, which is just ... wrong ... and it's somewhat incoherent because of the way the timelines work, but otherwise it's ok b-grade science fiction, as long as you don't think of it as actually being an adaptaiton of the original. (ANd it doesn't hurt that it features Tamoh Penikett).

I'm borelrine drunk - two and a half shots of cachaca or so, plus a cherry beer - but I can't quite manage the proper style for a drunk diary. never have been able to, too good at typing i suppose.

when i left work on the terrible afternoon when i first heard of erik's death, i went walking in the hills at a local park, very very slowly (i think i covered a mile in something like 40 minutes, which is ludicrous), and sat on a park bench overlooking the valley watching the rain come across from the hills, feeling the wind, letting the deep sorrow overtake my soul. I had my ipod, and i listened to a song, over and over again: a sparse, spartan acoustic remix of 'moths wings' (by passion pit); it suited the mood.

On my way back from the gym today, it popped up in my playlist, and I was surprised; some of the sorrow has faded, and I can now reflect on my friendship with erik with some joy: joy at the things we shared, at he time we spent together, the things i learned from him and he learned from me. I'm almost ready to shift from being sad for what I have lost to being happy fo what I had ... almost. it comes and goes.

----------------

Work is rough right now; project is supposed to ship in August, so things are starting to get tense - daily reports to high-level execs, temper tantrums from the customer, panic in middle management. Thankfully there's the world cup to distract us, and the freedom of not being in class.

J is stressed out: last weekend was the busiest part of the year for him, and he's had some downtime but is starting to freak out about his vacation. We spent he afternoon running errands relating to travel prep. I think he's being more worried abotu ti than necessary, but then I haven't gone to a third world ocutnry ountside of turkey, and i'mj generallyu more hippie go-with-the-flow than he is anyhow.

-----------------

not having to go to shcool for the summer is nice; it's great to be able to do things with ja and friends during the week, and it's nice to have lots of hang out cuddle time with my husband. i'll probably be bitterly jealous of it when i lose it again at the end of august.

one more yea.r

one more year.

----------------------

we eer both sick this week - me on monday with some beledover into sunday and tuesday (Ehxauster, wiped out, unable to summon the energy really to do anything, even doing the bare minimum a hurdle that required the strength of atlas to overcome); j on weds-tuhjrs (come home, crash). this meant hat i dnt' manage to get to the gym all week, until today (somehow i managed to keep the same weight in morning weigh-in the whole time), which meant tha t riding the stationary exercise bike during the entire 2.5 hrs of the US<->Ghana game was ... well, easier than expected; i was well rested. it's the longest io've wridden at one time, so by the end i was done, but since then i've been energetic and sem-wired (except for the low period right before and after dinner). it's somewhat amazing how much greater my stanmina is than before i lost th weight, and i've been keeping it even though my diet is awful and my exercise routine erratic.

i'm hoping to get lots of hiking in while j. is traveling.

diablo, anyone?

----------------------

the summer moves on; for me it's half over, roughly.

i need to start thinking about job applications.

it's scary: i think i know how to be a lawyer - i understand eh law to some degree, i understand how to learn what i don't know, i understand the mechanisms and psyuchology of trial as well as anyone who hasn't done it can - and yet i don't understand the culture of the job, and i don't know yet if i can be happy dipng it. and yet ... nwo is the time to start looking and to plan for the future, and i find: i don't really know what i want.

on some level iv'e never really known what i want; maybe this is why i'm usually content to take the world as it is rather htan trying to cshape it. i understand that it's common for people to feel like they can make their world what they want it to be - and i know that the way i am in the world, the way i interact with the people around me and the energy and spirit i brign control what my world is, what experience i have ... but i'm mostly content to let myself ride on the wave rather than direct it, but that doesn't mean that when i jump from one wave to another i'm not afraid.

i shouldn't be afraid; the power i have will carry over into any culture and any world, once i'm acculturated.

but i'm afraid.

i knw: fear is the mind killer.

i knw: i must mebrace myf ear and let it wash over me and through me ... and walking through fear to reach one's goal is always the right move, no matter how strong the fear. and this isn't a strong fear, it's a mild, niggling, low-level fear ... but that's more dangerous because it seeps into everythi without giving a natural focal point for resistane.

i will walk through.

but that doesn't mean i'm not going tobe stressed about it.

---------------

today's game was a good one. the first 10-20 minute ssucked because the US doesn't seem to be able to play during the first miniutes of a game, but then it tightened up and turned interesting. i'm kinda disappointed we couldn't pull it off, but i admit: the best team won, and i'll cheer for them until they go out; it would be nice to see ghana in the semfinals, and incredible to see them in the finals.

-----------

i suspect i've moved on to babbling.

that's probably a natural thing when drunk, o?

maybe, maybe not.

this adaptation of riverworld i'm half-watching is truly dreadful.

I leave ou wtih this: an interesting set of advertisements.

< A wrapup of my Saturday. | Rebirth, renewal and >
rambling, nothing more than rambling | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden)
Turkey is not a Third World country. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 03:41:24 AM EST
Also, don't gripe about "legitimate" names and gloss over the ridiculous "Tamoh Penikett" like you didn't notice you typed it.

that depends on where you are. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 09:59:04 AM EST
istanbul isn't.

the slums of ankara are.

the back country certainly is.

by that metric by 256 (4.00 / 2) #4 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 10:45:26 AM EST
the USA is a third world country.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Precisely by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 11:56:23 AM EST
See: Appalachia

there's nowhere in the US by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 01:32:49 PM EST
with large-sale poverty which even remotely compares to southeastern Turkey.
Maybe by 256 (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 01:35:15 PM EST
but there's nowhere in Canada or Western Europe with large scale poverty that even remotely compares to North Philadelphia.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Try by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 02:26:01 PM EST
Baltimore. Or Harlem. For that title.
large scale, no, but per capita ... by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 02:10:23 PM EST
Some of the reservations come pretty close.

Cicero, The Republic
that's fair. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 06:35:42 PM EST
but i think i'd be perfectly comfortable describing most of the indian nations as third world nations.
Have you by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 11:18:54 PM EST
Been here?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Turkey by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Jun 28, 2010 at 12:04:26 AM EST
had the widest geographic based social disparity I saw of any country I visited. Istanbul might as well be Paris or London; some of southeastern Turkey had terrible poverty. It's not just a matter of income either - a lot of "internally displaced" Kurds I saw milling around the towns I visited were the sort with no prospects or future.

1st/2nd/3rd world is a pretty outmoded framework, IMO.

It's a NATO member and ally of the U.S. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 11:53:01 AM EST
ergo, a First World nation. Check the Wikipaedia if you don't believe me. They even have a map I didn't add.

hmm. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 01:33:51 PM EST
NATO ally might be definitionally first world, using the first-world/second-world/third-world descriptors.

economically, though ... the slums of Ankara are closer in nature to the slums of Mumbai than they are to the slums of Paris.

I am impressed by theboz (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 04:35:14 PM EST
Someone on the internet knows the metric isn't based on poverty but rather cold war alliances?  I am impressed.
- - - - -
I was a good li'l Cold War warrior. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 06:11:55 PM EST
We're currently deprecated.

Knowing what you want. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Jun 27, 2010 at 07:44:39 AM EST
I still don't know what I want from my career, and I seem to have found a place where I'm largely very happy and that seems to suit me remarkably well. Even so, is it what I want to do forever? How does someone even know what that means? I know you'll be able to find something that works for you in as many ways as possible. And for the parts of it that don't work for you, I hope for you the freedom to change them until they do.

Also, where is J going? I hope he has an awesome trip! Send him my best.

rambling, nothing more than rambling | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden)