Print Story Work anxiety
By toxicfur (Thu Jan 28, 2010 at 09:12:10 PM EST) (all tags)
I haven't written about work in a long time, mostly because what can I say about it? Somehow, I've managed, in the past 18 months or so, to create a job I really like. I have very few complaints, and it feels wrong to write about how much I love my job on HuSi of all places. Hulver himself would probably ban me.

But I am feeling some anxiety recently. Apparently.

First, some background. $uber_boss is amazing. She's a big part of why I have such a great job -- she gives her employees the freedom to seek solutions when there are problems, she gives incredible support to people, and she is just really kind. "Warm, but not fuzzy," one of my co-workers commented once, and it's true. Every time I have a meeting with $uber-boss, I walk out of her office with a spring in my step. I feel confident, I feel capable, I feel absolutely like I can accomplish even more than I already do. I wish I knew how she does that. I would do anything for her, as a result, and I can think of few things worse than disappointing her.

So it was a surprise when, in my dream last night, I was called into her office unexpectedly. She needed to talk to me. I sat down at the little round table, stacked with papers and binders, as I always do, and looked at her expectantly.

"You're getting more responsibility in the office," she said. "And I feel like I should talk to you about presenting yourself professionally." I somehow realized that she was talking about my wardrobe. I worried, briefly, that she was talking about my new Fluevog boots, which, in my dream, I was wearing. That was not the case. I asked her if she was saying I should wear more suits, and she said that might be okay, but really, it was about my overall presentation.

Even in this dream, she went on to give me specific advice about how to dress. She did this in a way that never embarrassed me, or made me feel self-conscious. Even as she was telling me that I should never wear two sweaters together, I felt that she was genuinely and kindly trying to help me do my job better.

When the meeting was over, I had concrete ideas about what I should do about my wardrobe. I even had ideas about how it wouldn't cost too much, and I could continue to wear my Fluevog shoes and boots without worry.

I woke up, and my first thought was "What the fuck was that???"

I told my colleague and friend SG, who is $uber_boss's right-hand woman, that I was having work-related stress, and related my dream. Once she managed to stop laughing, she said that it would've been a great April Fool's joke! I agreed, and she immediately regretted telling me. I'm trying to imagine $uber_boss pulling off this joke, and failing. I would've laughed my fucking ass off if she'd tried, though, especially when she got to the bit about wearing two sweaters together.

I love my job.

< There's no right way to hit a woman. | When you walk through the valley >
Work anxiety | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden)
Yeah, it does feel weird to say that here by infinitera (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Jan 28, 2010 at 09:40:15 PM EST
But I also like my job. Enterprise support is not one of those professions that anybody talks about in high school or college, and I certainly didn't have anything except a vague idea until after those. But I get to solve problems as I see fit, I use a wide cross section of disciplines, and every day is something new.

I really enjoy short-lived emergencies, although I see how it might stress some people out.

I like my job too by duxup (4.00 / 2) #2 Thu Jan 28, 2010 at 10:32:51 PM EST
:o

____
But what about the part by debacle (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jan 28, 2010 at 10:55:20 PM EST
Where she was giving you advice how to undress?

Eew. No. by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #7 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 08:10:30 AM EST
I don't have that kind of dream about work. Thank god.
Nice boots... by kwsNI (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Jan 28, 2010 at 11:51:55 PM EST
Sorry, couldn't help myself.

They are cool boots though. (nt) by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Jan 28, 2010 at 11:52:16 PM EST

I love them. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 08:12:43 AM EST
They're by far the coolest clothing item I own. They're also incredibly comfortable.
I love my job by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 04:30:21 AM EST
Even though it is fucking mental and makes me laugh and cry and have rage and despair and euphoria.

Loving your job by hulver (4.00 / 2) #9 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 08:13:42 AM EST
Is permitted.

It's a subscriber only feature ;)

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Good thing I'm a subscriber then. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 08:25:25 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

duxup and I are breaking the rules :( by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 08:56:03 AM EST

I'll fix that soon by duxup (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 10:11:51 AM EST
n/t

____
That's because you're rebels. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 12:00:42 PM EST
Rebelling against The Man.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

:( by gzt (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 04:31:57 PM EST
I'll subscribe soon, I promise.

I was supposed... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 04:32:26 PM EST
...to have my performance review 30 minutes ago.

Your job loves you, too (n.t.) by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 01:56:01 PM EST

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Those boots are cool. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Jan 30, 2010 at 06:43:54 PM EST
Kind of a variation on the engineer boot.

I recently replaced my long-lost Fluevogs with shiny red Gibson swirls. I'm such a fan that I want these next.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

I *love* the blue boots! by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #18 Sat Jan 30, 2010 at 07:00:46 PM EST
And the Gibson swirls, too, of course. I already had these in the red, and they're my favorite shoes ever, I think. I'm half-seriously trying to convince ana to get the black ones.
Shoes by frog (4.00 / 1) #23 Fri Feb 05, 2010 at 02:34:43 PM EST

Is the dream calling you to action to be a shoe in for the next step up the career ladder?

I am in love with the blue boots! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #20 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 01:23:46 PM EST
*drool*

And they're on sale! by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #21 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 01:45:17 PM EST
I just don't have the money right now.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

I know! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #22 Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 10:12:23 AM EST
and yeah....my monies need to go elsewhere right now.  boo!

Job Love by jimgon (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun Jan 31, 2010 at 09:56:58 AM EST
Job love is quite perverse and it does not really follow in tradition to write about it on Hulver.  I'm sure that there are others like you hiding behind the sofa.  Someday I will find a job I like and cease writing about work, not because I work for fascist assholes, but because I'm content.  At any rate, glad someone enjoys their work.  Makes me hold out hope that there's a place for me somewhere in the world.

---------------
a friend by garlic (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 06:46:55 PM EST
had that exact actual conversation at our workplace -- that if he wanted to progress further up the chain of command he was going to have to change his clothing style. Asked how he might manage it, his boss and hiss boss's boss all admited that they had their wives pick out their clothes for them. My friends wife doesn't seem to mind, but it seems like the sort of thing right out of the 50's.

I fear if I needed to do that... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 08:58:55 PM EST
my spouse would be screwed. It does seem like something out of Mad Men (except that the men in Mad Men seem to have at least as good a fashion sense as their wives).
One of the things I like about my job by garlic (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Feb 18, 2010 at 09:03:12 AM EST
is that I don't really have much of a dress code. It's not the 50's anymore so you don't have all of us at our desks with black ties, white dress short sleeve shirts, black pants, and black shoes.

but he works at the same place I do. He's on a different career arc, but I'm a little worried that later on I'll be told the same thing -- not based on my work, but based on what I wear.

Work anxiety | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden)