Print Story Loving Your Job Is A Subscriber Only Feature
Working life
By wiredog (Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 08:49:15 AM EST) (all tags)
Per Hulver.

Don't love my job, though I do like it. Like the field I work in. Current job is interesting.

So I've been working on the Web Portal Application Thingy. It's a contract with these guys to develop an app which, ummm, I really have no idea what it's supposed to do. Really. It's mostly asp.net coded in c#, transitioning to Silverlight, running on Sharepoint. It's a sort of data modeling tool used to, um, model various Business Models.

Here's a Wikipedia entry on DODAF.

I still have no idea what purpose, militarily, this serves, other than to give Generals and Service Under-Secretaries something pretty to look at and play with to keep them out of the way of the people who actually have to, you know, fight wars. Which, come to think of it, may be purpose enough.

Been learning a lot. Never done web work before. So learning ASP, XAML, etc. Using Expression Blend, which is the worst dev environment I've seen in years. The worst that people pay money for, anyway.

Really small, startup, company. About 25 of us. Poised to grow like a weed, or crater. And Friday was the Big Demo, after which we would find out if it was Grow, or Die.
So yesterday, while working on the latest part of the portal I go to $Manager and say "I need data!"

"No you don't. Let's get the team together."

Oh shit. Time to update the old resume, I guess. Not that I'm paranoid, or anything...

Team gets together. $Manager: "We've got a new contract. Quick turnaround. 6 week deliverable. A biometric login/watchlist system. Not portal based. Fingerprint scanners, smart cards, web services to talk to backend databases. This is a demo, so that $Customer can exercise us to see what we can handle."

Gonna be a bit busy for awhile. Gotta learn a whole new set of technologies, fast.

I really like my job. Good thing I'm a subscriber, and thus get access to that feature.
< I AM THE SMARTEST MAN ALIVE! | Gude Ale Keeps The Heart Aboon >
Loving Your Job Is A Subscriber Only Feature | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)
need a remote WCF expert ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 10:00:53 AM EST
that, or I could get a job with the local company that makes all the fingerprint scanners you see.. (at least the ones I've used for CCW, DoD cards, $MY_COMPANY's CAC-like card, etc)

Not a remote one by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 10:22:12 AM EST
The Army likes to be able to have people come in to their office on short notice.

The scanner isn't the hard part. There are various cots libraries that handle all the heavy lifting. We're just doing the plumbing.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

yah by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 10:35:37 AM EST
cogent systems scanners ? They've got a local office, but it's cursed..

First, it was a company that did smart cards. Did lots of army stuff. Got bought by RSA. 6 months later, RSA fired/laid them all off and spun off a few others. They were acquired by maximus, who then sold off to cogent.

Know folks still there, and used to be there. Split verdict. (Not close enough to ask for a job via them, however.. And not sure I think well enough of the ones still there -- they were bottom of the class CS grads.. )

Nothing changes. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 09:27:21 AM EST
I'm currently fighting with a team of testers, who were given my code without any documentation. The arguments all take the form of "It's broken!", "No, that's what it is supposed to do.", "No it isn't!", "Here's the design documentation. See page a-b.", "It still shouldn't work like that, that's stupid!"

Whether or not I agree with that last sentiment, I'm pretty sure that testers are supposed to make sure a product does what it says it will do, not what they guess the customer wants.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
Testers I've worked with by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 11:54:38 AM EST
Generally we gave them the specs and the statement of work, or contract, or whatever "English" document describes what the customer thinks they're getting. The testers than sat down with us and we argued over what those docs actually specified, and went back to the customer for clarification if necessary.

Then the testers told us "It still shouldn't work like that, that's stupid!"

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Loving Your Job Is A Subscriber Only Feature | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden)