Print Story Bangkok
By MillMan (Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 04:48:00 AM EST) (all tags)
There's something in the air.

Particulates from a billion little fires and polluting factories, that is. The air doesn't smell bad, but my cough tells me there's more than a little spice in it. On the approach I don't think I could isolate anything on the ground (like, farm fields) until we passed through 7000 feet.

Chinese new year is on, but I'm exhausted. Not in the mood for crowds, and Chinatown Inc. gets old after you've been through 10 franchises or so.

I'm taking a five day course on traditional Thai massage, which is much of the reason for my exhaustion. Being the demo model for the initial demonstration was very relaxing - being "massaged" by two classmates who don't understand the subtleties of pressure was agonizing. After a couple shouts of "gah, dial it back a bit" I just gave up.

I had my first evar conversation with a Japanese person, which was cool. Her English is good, but as per many people I've met she barely speaks louder than a whisper. We talked about religion and baseball.

I doubt I'll stay here beyond this Saturday. I want to go back to the islands (Langkawi was great) and for whatever reason this city just isn't doing it for me. I certainly prefer Thai people to the Chinese flavored Malaysians.

Oh also while on Langkawi I learned how to drive those motorscooter thingies and it was the coolest thing ever. I'm buying a Vespa when I get back. I got that beotch up to 45mph with a girl riding on the back. I was rollin' man, I was rollin'.

< More layoffs? | Metalz. So metalz it's more metalz than metalz. >
Bangkok | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden)
2 wheeled motor vehicles are awesome. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 04:58:15 AM EST
How specific are your plans? Do you have pre - bought airline tickets sticking you to a schedule, or are you buying them when you're ready to move on? Both of these seem like they'd cause trouble.

sorta buying as I go by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 05:05:25 AM EST
The big int'l flights up to Singapore were purchased in advance. For local flights Air Asia is dog cheap so I've been using them, but you sometimes have to be willing to spend a few hours in horrid sweat shops like Kuala Lumpur's Low Cost Carrier terminal. Without my enhanced state of mind there would have been some killin' in there.

oh and by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 05:12:28 AM EST
here is the motorbike photo.

One of the difficult compromise to make by garlic (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 05:16:51 AM EST
in 2 wheel vehicles is comfort vs safety equipment.

when in Rome by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 05:22:23 AM EST
wear shorts, tshirt, and half of a helmet.

You drive the scooter by garlic (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 10:58:06 AM EST
with the clothes you have, not the clothes you don't have.

Sorry for the buzzkill, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #21 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 11:50:16 AM EST
But don't forget if you die in Canada, you die in real life.

OK, sorry for the xkcd quote too.

So where's the hole entry by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 05:48:12 AM EST
on the gal ?

the x rated diary by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 05:57:17 AM EST
is in my personal diary that only I will ever read. unless someone haxxors my mini-compy.

were they at least good? /nt by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #23 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 01:45:25 PM EST

usually in the same place, isn't it? (nt) by tps12 (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Jan 28, 2009 at 03:36:10 AM EST

Oriental setting by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 04:59:41 AM EST
And the city don't know that the city is getting

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

you saved me by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 05:21:10 AM EST
the google search to make sure I got the lyrics right..

you know what by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 05:23:46 AM EST
my sister mentioned that song, so I just dialed it up on youtube and realized I've never heard it. There is no unhearing it, sadly.

It's odd by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 05:43:59 AM EST
A top 40 pop song about a chess tournament in Bangkok. But that's the 80's for you.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I actually quite like it. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 10:20:51 AM EST

So I've been by blixco (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 05:30:42 AM EST
reading every word you've been writing, and checking out the photos, and it's not that I don't have anything to say, it's that all I have to say is envious of your trip and that gets, ya know, old and tired after a while.

But goddamn, it sounds like fun.

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
I'm going to call it by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 06:00:35 AM EST
The Year Of Nice Things. It's as though I've been gifted a year of happiness. Every day - it's just good stuff.

I agree with blix. by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 10:16:31 PM EST
It's not that I'm not reading, there's just not much to add.

Brilliant idea this trip it seems.

it is by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #24 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 05:19:52 PM EST
I feel very yin and yang about the trip mm has taken.  Jealous and Envious, yet, wanting to do it myself.

Click
Congratulations, dude! by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Jan 27, 2009 at 09:03:22 PM EST

I got the other, opposite prize.

I must be hip! by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 05:51:17 AM EST
I hadn't realized talking to Japanese people made you cool!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I should have said by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 05:54:42 AM EST
"outside a professional context."

Have you been scammed yet? by komet (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 07:26:34 AM EST
Me give you wholesale price! Same same!

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
fuck dude, by garlic (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 11:00:28 AM EST
that happens in the US. I went to a car dealer to testdrive a car, and they tried to sell it to me before they'd let me leave. They said the best price they could give me was 14k, 1k less than their 'list' price. Yet when i get home and look up car prices online, I find the exact car (same inventory number) for 12k.

You sir are awesome by duxup (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Jan 26, 2009 at 08:22:40 AM EST
You're like watching the travel channel except I'm fairly sure you're not getting paid by anyone to talk about the bathroom in the hotel.

____
Bangkok | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden)