Print Story Training.
Sport
By blixco (Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 10:40:29 AM EST) (all tags)
Do this until you throw up, then do it some more.

Warm up:
10 x prisoner squats or Y-squats
10 x pushups
10 x stickups (first part of the video) while doing wall-supported squats (concentrates on the quads). Basically you squat against the wall with your hands above your head, pushing into the wall a bit.
10 x mountain climbers (five reps per side)
10 x 'waiters bow' or 'good morning' (note that linked video talks about wide stance, squats, and butts)
10 x lunges (see above video)
10 x spiderman pushups
Rest for 1 minute, then do the above again.  That's the warmup.

Monday:

Superset 1: Do the exercises below back-to-back, then rest 1 min, then repeat two more times for a total of 3 sets for this superset.
12 x inverted pushups (wall stand, body as close to vertical as you can get for twelve reps...highly elevated is perfectly OK)
12 x step-ups (thighs must be parallel with the floor on the step)

Superset 2: do 3 sets like above (no rest between exercises, 1 min between each set)
12 x Swiss Ball leg curl
12 x Swiss Ball Jackknife
15 x prisoner squats

Superset 3: same as the others: repeat each set 3 times, one minute of rest between sets.
25 x wide pushups (hands further away from the body than they'd normally be)
15 x hip raises
5 x pull-up

Superset 4: etc
10 x narrow pushups
15 x lunges
15 x toe-raises

End: die in a heap of useless until Wednesday's workout.

(Placed here so I can keep track of the videos, yo)

< Angry Young Men | "Stepping off the Beaten Path - Jiyugaoka, May 2008" >
Training. | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden)
give yerself joint by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 11:02:38 AM EST
problems for life while you're at it.

How? by blixco (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 11:06:04 AM EST
There's no hyper extensions here. No forcing.  You hear the folks in the videos go on about things needing to be "perfectly" this or that, but that's a goal like any other.

You'd have to do it wrong to, ya know, do it wrong.  With weights its a hell of a lot easier to fuck up, but that's what I like about bodyweight training: there is no fucking up.  You can tell if you do, and you back off accordingly.

Of course, this only applies to me.  Like any highly polar discussion (diet, exercise, politics, religion, any opinion), I am not advocating my belief system in lieu of someone else's.  I'm putting this entry here because it's convenient for the many youtube links.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

given your back problems by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 11:28:58 AM EST
the one that really stands out is the good morning exercise.

I see the others aren't deep knee bending as I thought, so they'll get a pass this time..

My worst injury came from pushups. Shoulder hasn't recovered, may not. Keeps me off the bench press, and keeps me from swimming. Should have it looked at, but I don't want 8 months of recovery because it doesn't pain me daily (so long as I keep off bench press or push ups..)

Good mornings are okay when done right by debacle (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 12:18:00 PM EST
Likely, blixco doesn't do them right, but that doesn't mean that they're bad. The most important thing about back exercises is that you do them first, so that you aren't stressing your back after you've already tired it out and are feeling lazy.

I do them right by blixco (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 01:46:45 PM EST
for me, because I used to do them with weights.

If you don't do them right with weights, you are Fucked.  Capital F Fucked.

What got my back? Sitting.

All these exercises have strengthened the long muscles in my back, and I have just enough sensitivity in my lower back to keep me in check.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Also by debacle (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 12:19:42 PM EST
The mountain climbers are probably the worst exercise, as they put the most stress and compression on the lower back.

They are OK by blixco (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 01:55:36 PM EST
with slow, positive movements.  Lock the core, keep the back from swaying, and on the knee-up movement, keep the balance forward.

My lower back keeps me proper; it will let me know if I fuck up.  It'll drop me if I fuck up.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Wow. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 01:48:15 PM EST
My right shoulder developed problems due to improper bench pressing technique....I didn't arch my lower back and plant my shoulders, versus 300 pounds.

My one rep max lost a lot that day.

Pushups I can do until my lungs give.  I have a lot of body weight, so most of these exercises become aerobic; my heart has a hard time keeping up.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

So... by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #30 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 04:54:54 AM EST
You fucked up your shoulder, haven't and won't get it looked at by a medical professional, but you're convinced it may never recover and it's all the fault of pushups?

Or am I confused?

I have serious joint problems - I have the knees of an eighty-year-old Sherpa (in a jar, of course) and mine look just like them. After much discussion and obtaining of second and third and fourth opinions, my options are - joint replacement, or a workout that looks remarkably similar to this one in terms of stressing the knees. The idea being that while more stress will be painful and possibly detrimental in the short run, provided I'm smart about it and provide the appropriate support to the knees during the exercises it is very unlikely to actually cause problems and the muscle build-up is the best thing I can possibly do for the knees short of replacement - which is unlikely to provide better performance than is currently available from the knees.

pretty much by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #31 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 05:16:38 AM EST
was on vacation for 2 weeks. No gym access, so I did lots of push ups instead. Shoulder started hurting midway through, so I stopped.

Doesn't hurt generally day-to-day, unless I: swim, do pushups, or do more than 2-3 sets of bench press. I never could swim correctly, so I still just splash around (though I'd love to learn how to swim correctly), I don't need the bulging chest I had at 25 from bench pressing, and pushups are just right out.

I can live with that. I know reconstructive shoulder surgery is non-trivial, and a bitch to recover from.

Just one problem with bodyweight training... by spacejack (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 01:47:20 PM EST
When you have no body weight :(

Indeed. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 01:50:23 PM EST
It's HUGELY effective for me because I weigh a ton.  One point five metric tonnes.

A fuckload.  I've lost 6 percent of my bodyfat and gained twenty pounds.

And I still look like a professional wrestler: fat with lats and deltoids. Thus, the hard bodyweight stuff (3 days a week) and aerobic stuff (walking, elliptical machine) seven days a week. And a sensible diet.

And a lot of whiskey.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Indeed. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 02:26:25 PM EST
Most of what I do is intervals + "muscle confusion."

It is getting better, but my entire genetic history is: Big. Muscular, fat-retaining, short fast bursts of high strength.  I'll never be "skinny" in any way.  I may get to a low bodyfat percentage, but even then I need to have gained a huge amount of muscle to get that way.

When I was in my 20s, we moved from Mass to Tx.  I was 205 pounds, mostly anorexic (5 days of aerobic workouts a week, less than 1100 calories a day, vegetarian).

That nearly killed me.  It's not what I am; everyone in my family is big.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

More like professional powerlifter . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 05:52:46 PM EST
. . . real wrestlers are pretty lean, except perhaps the very heaviest divisions.

Define "real". by blixco (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 07:10:31 PM EST
Professional wrestlers as in: the guys on teevee doing the acting thing.

Not, like, collegiate or greco roman or olympic.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Real as in, not fake . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #26 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 03:04:45 AM EST
. . . as in, non WWE or F or whatever they call themselves now. Non-actors.

Most of those guys are body-builders, C movie actors, really big guys who got recruited or came to them with a great marketing idea and look. The one that crossed the boundary between both segments - Brock Lesnar comes to mind - had no belly to speak of. That guy was a physical specimen, actually . . .

I am a big fan by sasquatchan (4.00 / 0) #28 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 03:49:45 AM EST
of the Special High Intensity Training.

seemed pretty easy by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 11:10:27 AM EST
Until I got to the spiderman pushups.  I just can't do those.  0.o

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
They're tough by blixco (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 11:26:48 AM EST
but a fun movement.  Those and the inverted pushups are my favorites.

My very least favorite is the lunge.  Man do I hate those.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

I think all men hate lunges by debacle (4.00 / 1) #21 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 06:01:06 PM EST
Probably because they suck.

Is there a reason by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 11:18:20 AM EST
that your warm ups seem to have a "I've been arrested" theme?

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
YES! by blixco (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 11:26:12 AM EST

---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
I should clarify by blixco (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 01:54:23 PM EST
that all of these can be done in a prison cell, minus the Swiss ball stuff (which can be done with an appropriate bitch).
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
I'm on it. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #19 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 05:14:11 PM EST
I wanna look good on mah bitch's arm.

Then get yourself some implants by debacle (4.00 / 1) #22 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 06:01:58 PM EST
One of you needs to look the part.

yikes by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #24 Mon Jun 02, 2008 at 11:44:37 PM EST
I got tired just reading it!

My workout/weight loss plan by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 02:27:48 AM EST
During the summer.

Monday through Thursday:
20 to 30 push-ups, 20 to 30 sit-ups, 3 to 4 mile walk.
Breakfast is a bowl of cereal with milk and 1/2 banana, lunch is an apple, other half banana, granola bar. Dinner is usually pasta with sauce, or beans and rice, or something else non-meat, with veggies or salad.

Friday is lunch with the office (usually Chinese) and a smoothie for dinner, no workout.

Saturday and Sunday start with usual breakfast, 1 to 2 hour surf session, trip to 7/11 after surf for coffee and doughnut. Lunch at a burger joint in Ocean City, or maybe something brown bagged, if I got up early enough for it. Dinner usually a bbq at someone's beach house. Ice cream before bed. Surfing is a serious upper body workout.

I'm down 15 pounds in the past 6 weeks or so. Hope to go down another 20 by Labor Day.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

by labor day ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #27 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 03:47:24 AM EST
man, the girlies at ocean city/atlantic city/rehoboth (I forget which one you go to) aren't gonna care come Labor Day..

It's a long term plan. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #29 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 03:57:12 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

i know i'm late to the party by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #32 Sun Jun 29, 2008 at 06:15:39 PM EST
but i'm down to 150-155, and i have no idea how i managed that.
---------
Training. | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden)