Print Story A Day in the Life
Please Allow Me to Introduce 'Myself'

"I" is a subject pronoun.
I went to the store.
Joe and I work in the same building.
Signing documents is something I hate to do.
I am called ReallyEvilCanine.

x-posted to da brog.

"Me" is an object pronoun.
You were talking to me on the phone earlier.
Julie asked Joe and me the same question.
She gave me the documents to sign.

"Myself" is a reflexive pronoun. That means it reflects back to a previously used or implied pronoun. It does not and cannot stand alone in English. "Myself" can only appear in a sentence where the pronoun I or me was already used:

I went to the store myself (because someone else I'd asked to do so didn't).
I myself don't care for black pudding. OR I don't care for black pudding myself.

"Myself" is not a subject:
Myself went to the store.

"Myself" is not an object:
She gave myself the documents to sign.

Stop it already! Using "myself" rather than "I" or "me" does not make you sound clever or important. It makes you look like a fucking twat trying to impress people with your incredible literacy skills when you are, in fact, demonstrating just how fucking incompetent you are when it comes to basic language usage.

In other news, this made me laugh a lot harder than it should have done. Still can't embed vidz here.

< Media bias and tradition | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
A Day in the Life | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden)
Me, Myself and Irene? by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 04:58:06 AM EST

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
use of 'myself' by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 05:04:30 AM EST
smells of 'plastic paddy' oirishness.

I tihnk you're right, now by Imperial Mince (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:40:11 AM EST
to be sure
This space reserved for whining like a little bitch and being sanctimonious.
As long as you're the expert. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 05:38:00 AM EST
What about a sentence like, "Myself, I prefer chocolate sauce on my sundaes." Still referential, but not to the 'I' before.

Just want to be sure I'm not somehow breaking some weird rule or another I'm not aware of when telling people how I like my sundaes. I always did suck at english.

At best, it's 'awkward' by ReallyEvilCanine (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 05:49:51 AM EST
And barely that. The possessive "my" and reflexive "myself" don't mix well in the same sentence.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Never visit the midwest. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:22:03 AM EST
This usage can be heard on every street-corner here.

That was depressing, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 05:59:49 AM EST
The bit where I googled it and saw that I'd met nearly everyone mentioned on the first page of Google for this. And that I'd been there at the highest point in the Balkans when the first conference workshop about this was convened.

Anyway, I'll just download a PDF all about it to give you the explanation for why this usage is considered fine.

You must be in Washington. by muchagecko (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 05:48:40 AM EST
I hear stuff like that a lot.

"It means more if you have to earn it, even if it's by doing something as simple as eating a meal." Kellnerin
Avoid the UK by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 3) #6 Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 05:52:34 AM EST
They're even worse than the Yanks are with this linguistic thuggery.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

It's our language by DullTrev (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 06:12:10 AM EST

Myself, I think that means we are doing it right, no matter what.

DFJ?
Ic geþwǣrlǣcan by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #11 Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 07:13:33 AM EST
Engliscgereorde īs ǣfre eallswā.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Hwæt! by komet (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 08:01:09 AM EST

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.
I think you'll find by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Feb 26, 2008 at 08:32:45 AM EST
That there actually was an ‽ in Old English.

A Day in the Life | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden)