Print Story ATTN CALIFORNIANS: HOW TO VOTE
By Nigga (Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 09:39:02 AM EST) (all tags)
Prop 1A. NO NO NO! If you want to fund something pay for it directly, don't borrow. Also, when was the last time you drove Hwy 5. It's totally uncongested and very efficient. A rail from norcal to socal is the dumbest way to alleviate traffic congestion and greenhouse gasses.

Prop 2. YES. It's a philosophical question. Do you believe animals have a basic right to move freely? And if so, is your pocket book more important than that right? I personally loathe greed. An ethical life may be a little more expensive than an unethical one, but what it comes down to for me is, what is a life worth living?

Prop 3. NO NO NO! Again, pay for something directly don't fucking borrow.

Prop 4. NO NO NO! Bullshit anti-abortion crap. While dependents don't have the full rights of individuals, medical protocol cannot be cherry-picked based on moral questions.

Prop 5. No opinion  - don't vote. The drug problem is something that needs to be in the hands of experts, not voters. I have no idea what's effective and what's not effective. I do know the way we currently handle it is a huge failure and needs work, but I have no idea if prop 5 helps or not.

Prop 6. NO NO NO! No on bullshit!

Prop 7. NO NO NO! Fuck energy crises profiteers. Fuck them up the ASS!

Prop 8. NO NO NO! Cultural/kinship diversity is as American as apple pie! Amending a constitution to prohibit someone's liberty is about as unamerican as you can get.

Prop 9. NO NO NO! Unnecessary.

Prop 10. NO NO NO! Fuck energy crises profiteers. Fuck them up the ASS!

Prop 11. No opinion.

Prop 12. NO NO NO! Veterans affairs is solely a federal issue. The compensation for their services has nothing to do with California.
< Hurl this man in the direction of out | Turkeys, etc. >
ATTN CALIFORNIANS: HOW TO VOTE | 31 comments (31 topical, 0 hidden)
LOLWOT? by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 10:13:24 AM EST

Eh? 5 between Los Banos and Los Angeles is regularly congested. I don't know about the Los Banos->Sacramento leg because I never drive it.

serious? by Nigga (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 10:51:32 AM EST
Never been my experience at all. Everytime I've driven that stretch it's set cruise control to 80, crank some dope jams... sit back and enjoy 32 mi/gallon.

Although, I admit I don't make the trip that often... I have done it 4 times in the last year.

me2 by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 10:37:08 AM EST
Yeah, lots of knows this year from me as well.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
wtf is that katakana by Nigga (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 04:09:37 PM EST
is it supposed to say ucblockhead? I think a jap would do something more like yuushii burokkuheeda

I'd ask someone by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #14 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 05:46:02 PM EST
But they are all people I want unaware of this nick.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
(Comment Deleted) by R343L (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 07:04:06 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by R343L

fork it. by R343L (2.00 / 0) #20 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 07:08:39 PM EST
I would render it:

ユーシーブロックヘッド

Hope this helps!

[1] Help not guaranteed to not suck.

Also, for some reason the character for "head" doesn't show up in opera once I'm previewing. So you don't get the cutesy version.

hella better by Nigga (4.00 / 1) #23 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 08:46:43 PM EST
you're not a j-girl though are you? Aren't you white?

no, I am not japanese by R343L (2.00 / 0) #26 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 07:26:42 AM EST
I just took a few years in college taking Japanese language things. And spent a couple months in Tokyo for work.

yeah? by Nigga (2.00 / 0) #28 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 09:24:27 AM EST
how did you like your couple months in Tokyo?

Also, what lead you to study Japanese? Were/are you a weeaboo?

it was okay by R343L (2.00 / 0) #29 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 09:26:40 AM EST
Not as fun with responsibilities.

I had a couple friends in freshman dorm who were taking it, so I did the next year. I like languages.

Couldn't it just be ユーシブィ? by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 05:25:09 AM EST
YuuShiiburokkoheddo is kinda harsh. Also, I'm totally for R343L as a J-girl and will send her a pair of ルーズソックス forthwith.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

perhaps by R343L (2.00 / 0) #27 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 07:26:52 AM EST
But there is an issue of mora. Do the letters "U" and "C" sound to be the same length when pronounced as letters? And do they sound short or long. I think they sound longish (double beat) and about the same lengt.h Therefore I made them double vowels.

Also, if you're just going to abbreviate "ucblockhead" as "ucb", you'd just use the 'bi' katakanta (IME futzing out) as it does sound short. (I've never seen 'bu' with reduced 'i').

Still, I think I prefer the clever UC <stone kanji> <head kanji> that I couldn't figure out why my browsers didn't like.

Rachael

Crap by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #25 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 05:38:05 AM EST
Now I actually have to consider changing the sig. That takes effort. :-/
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I-5? by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 11:41:38 AM EST
I drive I-5 between the northern end of the San Fernando Valley and San Diego a lot.  To describe it as "totally uncongested and very efficient" tells me you never drive that stretch.  Also, getting from Union Station to the Riverside area is a disaster no matter how you try to travel.

That being said, I'm tired of endless bonds, and high-speed rail is not ever going to happen here no matter how much money you throw at it, there's way too much opposition.  So although I disagree with your reasoning, I'm still voting no.  Also there is NO place to safely put high speed rail between union station and Riverside.  We can't even seem to run normal speed trains safely here.

My default position anymore is NO on everything, until someone convinces me otherwise.

Life is Short, Fly Fast!

oh i meant I-5 by Nigga (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 11:59:56 AM EST
between nor. and so. cals.  which is where the bulk of the rail is going to be

Take the lead from Boston: by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 12:16:51 PM EST
Underground? by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 01:18:30 PM EST
In earthquake country?   Doesn't seem like a good idea to me.  Also, the (relatively short) portions of MetroLink that are underground hit numerous methane pockets and other problems during construction, severely driving up the cost.  I just don't think our geology is conducive to underground rail.

Details, details by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #9 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 01:24:06 PM EST
well by Nigga (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 02:20:05 PM EST
i'm not sure your seismic safety concerns are as valid as they appear to be.

For example, BART was checked and back in use just hours following the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake and was great alternative transportation between SF and oakland as the bay bridge was repaired. Far better than faries would have been. BART probably fucking paid for itself in how it picked up the slack of the above ground infrastructure...

BART by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 05:45:05 PM EST
Technically speaking, BART isn't underground except in downtown SF/Oakland.  It sits on the bottom of the bay not under the bay.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
point remains though by Nigga (4.00 / 1) #15 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 05:57:42 PM EST
that a significant portion of it that resides underground dealt with the quake no problem. And while the transbay tube isn't under ground it is under water... and water seems to be displaced even more than dirt during an earthquake...

because everyone needs by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #30 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 12:38:55 PM EST
a late and over budget project which leaks water almost immediately upon completion.
Yo, balsamic! by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 01:13:53 PM EST
Whassupniggah? Haven't seen you in a while. When did you go all political? Good to see you're still around.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

aw thanks, dog by Nigga (3.50 / 2) #10 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 02:15:12 PM EST
but if you want to make me feel even more welcome, you can hand out high comment ratings to me so I become a trusted user...

why by garlic (2.00 / 0) #18 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 06:51:41 PM EST

I'm voting yes on 1A by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 06:44:08 PM EST
the thing is the bonds might not even sell given what is going on and will be going on for years to come. States and municipalities are in big effing trouble in the US.

prop 10 makes my blood boil. T Boone Pickens needs to be burned at the stake for this abomination.

also by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #17 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 06:46:23 PM EST
I like the concept behind prop 7, but I can't figure it out on my own, which means there is likely some nefarious shit buried in it. Looks like it is going to pass regardless.

yup... by Nigga (4.00 / 1) #22 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 08:45:37 PM EST
That was pretty much my take. And if we ever do come up with good clean energy... it sure isn't going to come about by a fucking proposition.

ugh by Nigga (4.00 / 1) #21 Sun Oct 12, 2008 at 08:43:06 PM EST
you do realize that 10b is only like $250 per capita right? To pay interest on that for 30 years, if not perpetually, is a bad fucking deal. Deficit spending is as evil as credit card spending.. IF you want something, save up for it. And if it's only 250 per capita and people actually want it then it's not exactly a sacrifice now is it

bonds by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #31 Mon Oct 13, 2008 at 12:40:33 PM EST
bonds are ok for capital improvement projects where the benefits will accrue over a long period of time.

that said, i have two problems with 1A:

(a) right now is a really fucking awful time to be borrowing money.

(b) i don't believe the project can be done for the amount they're asking for, i have little faith in the private sector buyin they are projecting, and i'm certain that if this passes they'll be back in 2-4 years begging for more money to complete the project.

ATTN CALIFORNIANS: HOW TO VOTE | 31 comments (31 topical, 0 hidden)