Print Story ahh
By Merekat (Tue Aug 14, 2007 at 12:55:07 AM EST) (all tags)
That is better.
Blissful blissful sleep.

Now, repeat after self - the mosquito bites do not itch. I do not need to scratch them.

Did my German test. On the one hand, it was a bit disappointing as after 3 months in the country I test at the same level as I did before. On the other, that was on three hours sleep and the nuances of the test are relevant. I am, on average, splat in the middle. My reading comprehension measures above the upper middle scale. My spoken is in the middle of the middle. My grip on grammar is towards the lower end of the middle. However, unlike the test back in Ireland, I was more confident of the correctness of the answers I was giving, I understood all bar one word in the two reading comprehensions and it took a fraction of the effort to get the same score. So, my only question is, how to make this great leap forward?

Now that that is sorted, I think it is time to start exercise again. I need to find an appropriate gym and/or tai chi class, the latter having the side effect of meeting non-work people. Probably the biggest thing that has struck me about .ch is that people my age are very likely to have one or more children and hence no spontaneous social life at all, and little work based socialisation even planned. This isn't just a language barrier with me - I observe it in others.

< THE CONSPIRACY IS REAL! | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
ahh | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)
Glad to hear you're getting some rest by Phage (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Aug 14, 2007 at 02:15:27 AM EST
Did you buy a fan, or did the temperature drop ?
Agreed on the kids thing. I dunno how old you are but I've sen the same thing in Canberra.

temp dropped by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Aug 14, 2007 at 02:37:32 AM EST
Which meant I could keep windows shut, solving both problems.

I am 30.

Heh by Phage (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Aug 14, 2007 at 02:52:36 AM EST
That sounds like Canberra. Not that there's much to go out for...

Great Leap Forward by DullTrev (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Aug 14, 2007 at 02:57:19 AM EST

Living in the country where the language is spoken isn't working for that?

I sometimes wish I had kept up my German - I only did a nice 'n easy GCSE, but find myself watching subtitled German films sometimes (no, not like that) and can almost work out what they are saying.

As a random suggestion, have you tried replacing your normal reading matter with German translations of same? Or even some of the greats of German literature, like... um...

DFJ?
It is, kinda by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Aug 14, 2007 at 03:35:40 AM EST
In that I have gone from sqeezing into that category to being rather comfortable in it. It is the next step that is eluding me.

I listen to stuff like the news in not just german but local Zuri channels and my percentage understanding is climbing rapidly. I read the NZZ site most mornings, the free newspapers on the train in the evenings. It is the competent self-expression bit that is lagging. I sound like a cross between a small child and a 419 spammer with a really freaky accent.

Paradoxically, the problem is likely that I am trying to say too much.

Try audio-only courses. by Arbeit Macht Pie (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Aug 14, 2007 at 11:19:37 AM EST
Sure, you can use the added contextual clues of television, but it's a distracting crutch.
If you have the time, try the tapes/CDs/MP3 route.

ahh | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden)