Print Story Photo Tuesday: Eye
Photos
By stark (Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 07:50:09 AM EST) photos, photo of the day, photofc (all tags)
We have a nice traditional picture-postcard shot of the London Eye, taken for the recent PFC but not submitted due to lack of originality...

I'm quite pleased about how this one came out, especially the sparkly lights. I reduced the red glow in the sky by using the curve editor in PS, dragging down the curve for the red channel.

Oh, and there's a poll inside...

< britney breakdown business opportunity | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Photo Tuesday: Eye | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)
very nice by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 08:31:14 AM EST
What are those lights in the sky, anyway? Airplanes?

UFOs by stark (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 08:44:54 AM EST
In the literal sense! I think the curving shape is a plane.

I quite like the curve adds something; one of my colleagues suggested it should be removed.
U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.

I thought it was an eyelash, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 10:03:53 AM EST
but it does seem to be heading for or from London City Airport, though.

Ah, yes by The Fool (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 09:10:48 AM EST
The Nestene Consciousness's transmitter.

The water looks really odd by Herring (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 10:08:44 AM EST
Is that down to the the unbelievably long exposure?

You can't inspire people with facts
- Small Gods

Yup by stark (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 12:32:43 PM EST
Thirty seconds really averages out the ripples.

I like it, it looks almost like a smooth black road stretching out through the city.

30 seconds by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 12:11:57 AM EST
Wow, that is long. Wouldn't have thought you'd need more than a couple. Looks good though.

Did you use a tripod or a handy wall?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO MY THAMES? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 10:43:10 AM EST
Was there a public vote for that monstrosity?

That's a Dr Who prop by hulver (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 11:42:23 AM EST
They left it around after the first series.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
WIPO by TurboThy (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Feb 20, 2007 at 12:35:51 PM EST
Keep the plane, scrub the blink to the left of the Eye.

Like Herring, I wondered at the texture of the water. What was the exposure time? It looks kinda like matte ice.
__
Sommerhus til salg, første række til Kattegat.

What's the intended display? by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Feb 21, 2007 at 12:03:48 AM EST
Screen or print?

On screen you have to touch out the lights as on 90% of screens they just look like dust and scratches.

It's probably something to do with the interaction of screen resolution, backlighting and human perceptuals, but I can't be arsed to look it up and theorise about it.

In print, you may be able to get away with it, depending how it looks. Also depending on if you print it big enough that the lights are clearly not just dust and scratches.

That's my NSHO anyway.

Photo Tuesday: Eye | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)