Print Story Photo Tuesday: Footbridge Shadows
Photos
By stark (Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 03:45:40 AM EST) photos, photo of the day, photofc (all tags)
A shot that I considered for the current Photo Fun Challenge. It's on one side of the Hungerford Footbridge crossing the Thames.

< A two diary week | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Photo Tuesday: Footbridge Shadows | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden)
Nice shot. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 05:13:32 AM EST
I took me a moment to realize what I was seeing - very nice lighting.

It was an American tradition, like fathers chasing kids around with power tools.
Cheers! by stark (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 11:07:10 PM EST
I wanted to find somewhere with the whole pools of light surrounded by darkness thing, all a bit film noir. This was the closest I got...
U.S. Patent 5443036 concerns a device for encouraging a cat to exercise by chasing a light spot.
Terrific! by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 05:28:39 AM EST
~nt~

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

Thanks! (n/t) by stark (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 11:06:21 PM EST

Prefer the one you entered by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 06:11:46 AM EST
I think this one is technically good but not as interesting.

I'm probably buying a Canon EOS 400D next month (or borrowing the money for one anyway). About time I upgraded to an SLR. Any thoughts? Which camera did you get? I know I asked but I can't remember.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Don't forget by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 08:40:27 AM EST
our friends at dpreview.com almost certainly have all the information you need to know.

Why haven't I seen that site before? by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 11:46:33 PM EST
Thanks!

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Cool by stark (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 11:06:01 PM EST
I have a 300D - essentially the first entry-level digital SLR, from a few years ago. The 400D is two generations down from the same model.

I'm pretty happy with mine. The only vaguely sensible advice I can give is this: if you already have lenses for a particular type of SLR, buy the digital equivalent. If not, try to find a shop where they'll let you play around with various models and decide which you like the interface for.

The actual performance (in terms of picture quality) of most of the digital SLRs is pretty much the same. Canon are quite good at avoiding noise at higher ISO levels; other manufacturers have other strengths, but they are all very close to each other.

When you get one, post some of your pics!

Ta for the advice by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Feb 13, 2007 at 11:45:57 PM EST
No lenses, so that's not a problem. I'll have a fiddle around with it at Jessops.

I'll definitely be posting pictures, watch this space!

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Oh and by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Feb 14, 2007 at 12:14:03 AM EST
Did you upgrade your lens?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I got the kit lens by stark (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Feb 14, 2007 at 01:23:29 AM EST
The 18-55mm lens included isn't bad - the wide angle is generally good value and the quality of the results is reasonably good.

I've since bought:

• a 70-300mm lens by Sigma, which is pretty poor in anything but good strong sunlight
  • a 50mm prime lens by Canon which is excellent despite being cheap
  • a 70-200mm EF-S L-series Image Stabilising lens by Canon, which was really expensive but gives fantastic results.

Cool by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Feb 14, 2007 at 02:19:25 AM EST
Thanks for that - I was thinking of getting a Sigma lens so good advice!

I'll use the kit lens for a while and see how it goes. Was thinking of upgrading after a few months maybe. I might also get a macro lens at some point.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

On sensors by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Feb 14, 2007 at 12:52:00 AM EST
Do Fuji make DSLRs? Because, from the reviews, their compact camera sensors kick arse in low light: their 3200 setting has lower noise than the best of the rest's 800. Literally.

They do indeed... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Feb 14, 2007 at 02:17:27 AM EST
S something or other.

I had an S2? at one point and it was pretty good, but there are some downsides:

1. Imperfect compatibility with my existing lenses.
  2. They don't make a cheap one, it's mid-range or expensive only.
  3. Some of their software tricks produce brilliant results, but every now and then you get evil moire.

Photo Tuesday: Footbridge Shadows | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden)